C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Grand Sport - I Love The Look, Will I Love The Ride? Exhaust Too Loud? Golf CLubs?

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2023, 11:06 PM
Ron Dittmer
Drifting

Received 139 Likes on 78 Posts

Default Grand Sport - I Love The Look, Will I Love The Ride? Exhaust Too Loud? Golf CLubs?

The Grand Sport convertible looks so very sharp to me. I loved it at first glance back in 2010.

My wife and I recently sold our Saturn Sky, a convertible we used for touring out in the farmlands.

If we buy a 2010-2013 Grand Sport, will the ride be noticably harsh for back roads? If it is rough for touring, what if we get one with the Magnetic Ride Select? Will that make enough difference?

About the NPP Dual Performance exhaust system. Can that be disabled on-demand while driving, for a quiet touring experience?

I fear of buying a GS, only to learn that it is torture driving out in the country with my wife, top-down, trying to have conversation and listen to music.

One last question. Can two sets of golf clubs fit in the trunk of any C6 convertible with the top stowed away?

Thank you, especially for detailed answers.

Popular Reply

12-02-2023, 11:32 PM
jbc1995fb
Safety Car

Received 1,347 Likes on 888 Posts

Originally Posted by Ron Dittmer
The Grand Sport convertible looks so very sharp to me. I loved it at first glance back in 2010.

My wife and I recently sold our Saturn Sky, a convertible we used for touring out in the farmlands.

If we buy a 2010-2013 Grand Sport, will the ride be noticably harsh for back roads? If it is rough for touring, what if we get one with the Magnetic Ride Select? Will that make enough difference?

About the NPP Dual Performance exhaust system. Can that be disabled on-demand while driving, for a quiet touring experience?

I fear of buying a GS, only to learn that it is torture driving out in the country with my wife, top-down, trying to have conversation and listen to music.

One last question. Can two sets of golf clubs fit in the trunk of any C6 convertible with the top stowed away?

That's easy, leave the wife at home....LMFAO.
Old 12-02-2023, 11:15 PM
C6 Snowboarder
Race Director

Received 684 Likes on 372 Posts

Sounds like you need a GS Coupe..
Old 12-02-2023, 11:32 PM
jbc1995fb
Safety Car

Received 1,347 Likes on 888 Posts

That's easy, leave the wife at home....LMFAO.
The following 8 users liked this post by jbc1995fb:
89corvettemann (12-03-2023), CorvetteFan1953 (12-08-2023), FAUEE (12-03-2023), Geoff13IOM6GS (12-03-2023), jimmymack (12-06-2023), kite167 (12-08-2023), RFS-Z06 (12-05-2023), samk6 (12-03-2023) and 3 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 12-02-2023, 11:59 PM
Vette_DD
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,276 Likes on 935 Posts
St. Jude Donor '21-'22-'23-'24

Are you talking about buying 2 of them?
Old 12-03-2023, 12:07 AM
TortugaGS
Advanced

Received 50 Likes on 24 Posts

Ride quality is relatively smooth. Is it as smooth as a Cadillac? No, but it is a very nice ride. I must stress the "relatively" part. Several people i have given rides to are suprised on how smooth it rides.

The exhaust sound is also relative.. but a stock NPP exhaust is probably the best of quite when you want, and loud when you want.
Old 12-03-2023, 12:21 AM
BurntOut
Racer

Received 156 Likes on 97 Posts

Big mistake taking advice from people on a forum. Unplug and go drive a few, then make up your own mind.
The following 7 users liked this post by BurntOut:
BuckeyeRay (12-06-2023), CorvetteFan1953 (12-08-2023), mikeCsix (12-09-2023), RocketRob (12-03-2023), USA1LBvert (12-03-2023), Vate (12-12-2023), wjnjr (12-03-2023) and 2 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 12-03-2023, 12:56 AM
Corvetteexhaustsystems
Supporting Vendor

Received 64 Likes on 52 Posts

The flaps on the npp exhaust will stay closed until you get on it and go past about 3500rpm's. It's not a terrible ride at all.
Old 12-03-2023, 01:10 AM
hawkgfr
Race Director

Received 1,217 Likes on 828 Posts

Originally Posted by BurntOut
Big mistake taking advice from people on a forum. Unplug and go drive a few, then make up your own mind.

As you give advice, literally from the forum....

OP ride is fine on country roads...In fact that is where its best. Never had a vert so can't say but no clubs fit in the back with the targa top stored...but two will with spare room in a coupe..
The following 2 users liked this post by hawkgfr:
RFS-Z06 (12-05-2023), TortugaGS (12-03-2023)
Old 12-03-2023, 05:33 AM
Mr D.
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,486 Likes on 1,003 Posts

Can two sets of golf clubs fit in the trunk of any C6 convertible with the top stowed away?
Guess that would depend on the size of your bag and how many of those sticks you carry around.

The following users liked this post:
cadyshac (12-03-2023)
Old 12-03-2023, 07:23 AM
PMPerformance
Burning Brakes

Received 558 Likes on 326 Posts

I do not think the ride is harsh at all. If anything I was surprised how comfortable it was when I got mine
Old 12-03-2023, 09:23 AM
FAUEE
Race Director

Received 4,471 Likes on 2,814 Posts

Corvette is going to ride better than your sky did. It isn't the hardcore track weapon suspension you're thinking, it's very compliant. Honestly I think it's too compliant, I wish it was stiffer. I keep my mag ride in sport all the time and it's still too soft. Not enough to do anything about it, but it's noticeably softer than my c4, that most people consider to be "brutal and punishing stiff" but is just fine for me.

Similarly, the exhaust on the c6 is too quiet stock. You can get a bit more volume by pulling the NPP fuse (if equipped) to leave the valves open, but it's still too quiet that way IMO.

Wind noise and the radio will be the obstacles to having a conversation with the top down while driving.
Old 12-03-2023, 09:24 AM
R&L's C6
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,254 Likes on 708 Posts

Originally Posted by BurntOut
This is probably the best advice, even though it's from a forum.
The following 6 users liked this post by R&L's C6:
c5arlen (12-09-2023), cadyshac (12-03-2023), FAUEE (12-03-2023), RFS-Z06 (12-05-2023), RocketRob (12-03-2023), wjnjr (12-03-2023) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 12-03-2023, 10:04 AM
Ron Dittmer
Drifting

Thank you all for your input.

One clarification, any C6 "must be a convertible" either automatic or manual works. A coupe won't meet our pleasures. We used to ride motorcycles in our younger days. We appreciate 4-wheel motorcycles today.

So the ride of a stock GS isn't so bad. That is encouraging. I assume the Z51 suspension should be avoided. Our restored Saturn Sky with new OEM shocks rode like a Go-Kart, a very stiff suspension for the size and weight of the car. It was so stiff that the interior & top squeaked along with the hood. I addressed all of that during the restoration process, but some of the hood squeak returned just prior to selling the car.

Mr. D, your picture says it all concerning golf clubs. Thank you for that. A tight fit still works. Our Sky could not carry much of anything, just a couple of over-night bags. We love to head out to distant golf courses for cheap green fees and the country drive. We wanted to do that with the Sky, but was not possible without a trailer or a creative hitch-mounted container. I do have a question for you. Do you think two overnight travel/duffle bags could be stored in the trunk with the clubs? We are familiar with the C5 which had a large center bottom compartment. There was also room around the trunk opening in the right and left sides.

I understand how the NPP exhaust opens above a certain RPM. I was hoping there was a way to keep the baffles closed on-demand. At the same time, as long as we are pleasure driving, it would not be loud. We appreciate a quiet exhaust, not a performance exhaust. We want to hear eachother and the stereo with the top stowed.

We hope to test drive a GS soon. The price of a GS convertible is hard on the budget which erodes the excitment. We are also very particular about colors, narrowed down to the blue you see to the left, with a light gray interior. There is a blue/gray about 2.5 hours away. The holidays are busy, maybe we can find a day to drive out to see it. Like you say, go test drive one. I don't want my wife to experience the wrong GS. The right colors would gain my wife's favor quickly. She is one of those people who has to see it to feel it.

We could fall back on a standard C6 conververtible for affordability and availability, but I really love the stance of the GS. I am holding out for now. There is no rush to buy.

Last edited by Ron Dittmer; 12-03-2023 at 10:30 AM.
Old 12-03-2023, 10:26 AM
Spaceme1117
Safety Car

Received 1,315 Likes on 887 Posts

Thank you all for your input.

One clarification, any C6 "must be a convertible" either automatic or manual works. A coupe won't meet our pleasures. We used to ride motorcycles in our younger days. We appreciate 4-wheel motorcycles today.

So the ride of a stock GS isn't so bad. That is encouraging. I assume the Z51 suspension should be avoided. Our restored Saturn Sky with new OEM shocks rode like a Go-Kart, a very stiff suspension for the size and weight of the car. It was so stiff that the interior & top squeaked along with the hood. I addressed all of that during the restoration process, but some of the hood squeak returned just prior to selling the car.

Mr. D, your picture says it all concerning golf clubs. Thank you for that. A tight fit still works. Our Sky could not carry much of anything, just a couple of over-night bags. We love to head out to distant golf courses for cheap green fees and the country drive. We wanted to do that with the Sky, but was not possible without a trailer or a creative hitch-mounted container. I do have a question for you. Do you think two overnight travel/duffle bags could be stored in the trunk with the clubs? We are familiar with the C5 which had a large center bottom compartment. There was also room around the trunk opening in the right and left sides.

I understand how the NPP exhaust opens above a certain RPM. I was hoping there was a way to keep the baffles closed on-demand. At the same time, as long as we are pleasure driving, it would not be loud. We appreciate a quiet exhaust, not a performance exhaust. We want to hear eachother and the stereo with the top stowed.

We hope to test drive a GS soon. The price of a GS convertible is hard on the budget which erodes the excitment. We are also very particular about colors, narrowed down to the blue you see to the left, with a light gray interior. There is a blue/gray about 2.5 hours away. The holidays are busy, maybe we can find a day to drive out to see it. Like you say, go test drive one. I don't want my wife to experience the wrong GS. The right colors would gain my wife's favor quickly. She is one of those people who has to see it to feel it.

We could fall back on a standard C6 conververtible for affordability and availability, but I really love the stance of the GS. I am holding out for now. There is no rush to buy.
So I owned a Saturn Sky Redline for several years and now own a Coupe Grand Sport that also has NPP. The ride in the Grand Sport is better than the Sky. Actually, I find that the ride quality in my Grand Sport is better than many modern SUV's. A huge factor in the ride quality is the tires. If the car you are looking at has old tires or run-flats, you absolutely need to change them to have a comfortable ride. Continentals or Michelins are going to be your best bet here.

Also, just like in the Sky, the ride quality can also be improved by installing a thicker/stiffer tunnel plate so that the body is more rigid and the suspension functions more efficiently. Elite Engineering makes a thicker and insulated tunnel plate.

You can also improve ride comfort a couple of ways; heat insulation for the center tunnel and sound insulation kit for the interior. Both cut down on heat significantly, and the sound kits cut down on road noise.

As for the NPP, there is a module you can purchase that allows you to manually the system using the mirror controls on the drivers door panel. It is this called the Dash Logic: https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...-and-play.html

https://www.palmerperformance.com/st...products_id=76

The controller plugs into the OBD port under the console and allows you to put the NPP into the factory setting where it is automatic, have the valves always open, or the valves always closed. It also has many other useful functions.

There is a forum post where someone did some wiring of their own so they could use a 3-way switch to do the same thing.

Get the GS. The better brakes and wide body styling are excellent.

Old 12-03-2023, 10:29 AM
PMPerformance
Burning Brakes

Received 558 Likes on 326 Posts

I will give the unpopular response here? And suggest NOT getting the GS unless you are overly fond of the extra track oriented bits.
The GS is essentially a Z06 without the z06 questionable problems. (Engine and aluminum frame)

If you don’t need all the track oriented bits, save the money and get a base. IE: if you are worried about exhaust sound, comfort, etc, it already sounds like a widebody car may not be in your best interest.
It’s really a waste of an extremely capable car and more expensive maintenance for functionality you may not want nor will use to their advantage.
I can tell you I drive my GS hard everytime I drive it. I can garuntee that I am not remotely capable of seeing 7/10 of what this car is capable of doing, let alone on public roads.
Old 12-03-2023, 10:33 AM
Ron Dittmer
Drifting

Thanks Spaceme1117 ! Hearing this from a former Sky owner is especially encouraging.
Old 12-03-2023, 10:41 AM
Ron Dittmer
Drifting

PMPerformance, I realize the car is designed for another driving purpose, but I really love the look of the GS convertible. It is that simple. I do all my own work on cars, and we will be putting on only 2000 miles a year so I am not worried about cost of tires and maintenance. Our garage is heated in winter so it would be very well preserved off season.

The fall-back plan would be to buy a standard C6 convertible, 2009-2013 to get the Hands-Free phone feature.
The fall-back to the fall-back plan would be to buy a C5 2004 Commemorative Edition as my wife loves the blue/gray color scheme that much.

One thing I failed to mention earlier. My wife loves heated seats, anticipating she will love them even more in a convertible. So we are also locked into a C6 with 3LT option group. The C5 has no heated seats and no Hands-Free Phone, hence at the bottom of the pecking order.

Last edited by Ron Dittmer; 12-03-2023 at 10:51 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To Grand Sport - I Love The Look, Will I Love The Ride? Exhaust Too Loud? Golf CLubs?

Old 12-03-2023, 11:40 AM
Dale96
Instructor

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

The GS convertible is an awesome automobile . The ride ( with non runflats) is excellent . Listening to the radio and talking is fine at 55 and below-not so much at interstate speeds . The NPP exhaust is calm / mellow unless you prefer it not to be (above 3000RPM or with Mild to Wild ). I can't see how you could go wrong buying one . I've not owned a C6 base , but the upgrades on the GS are a definite plus-good luck on your purchase !
Old 12-03-2023, 12:07 PM
Mr D.
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,486 Likes on 1,003 Posts

Do you think two overnight travel/duffle bags could be stored in the trunk with the clubs?
Being a new C6 owner and based on that picture I'm going to guess no. Best way to know for sure is to grab your bags and clubs than find a local C6 for a test fit.
Old 12-03-2023, 04:01 PM
Ron Dittmer
Drifting

Originally Posted by Mr D.
Being a new C6 owner and based on that picture I'm going to guess no. Best way to know for sure is to grab your bags and clubs than find a local C6 for a test fit.
Asking everyone this question...Is the trunk the same size for both GS and standard convertibles?

Quick Reply: Grand Sport - I Love The Look, Will I Love The Ride? Exhaust Too Loud? Golf CLubs?