C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

the gas leak smell

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2023, 11:56 AM
CSixDude
Drifting

Received 219 Likes on 141 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr D.
AThe only statement I found that makes any sense is that the root cause of the failure is caused by embrittlement of the plastic and is exacerbated by ethanol laced fuels due to GM using the wrong type of plastic during the pump manufacturing process..
You are correct. I worked directly with the lead investigator at NHTSA getting this made into a TSB for nearly a year. During the course of the investigation it was discovered that GM had this same issue on other model cars, and the root cause was embrittlement of the plastic, and ethanol exposure was a factor. The plastic elbow where the line attaches cracks and then gas sprays out the cracks under pressure. The only fix it to replace the entire pump because the plastic elbow is molded into the top of the pump.

Old 12-18-2023, 02:23 PM
flyingbunnys
Le Mans Master

Received 128 Likes on 99 Posts

There is no recall for those of us 10+ years out?
Old 12-18-2023, 02:24 PM
CorvetteFan1953
Burning Brakes

Received 224 Likes on 158 Posts

Originally Posted by flyingbunnys
No. And if this happens to a ZR1 it's a paperweight. The pumps are unobtainable.

It's a joke. It's a big safety issue. Both for fumes and potential for fire!
Old 12-18-2023, 02:38 PM
Iowa
Burning Brakes

Received 473 Likes on 264 Posts

Originally Posted by CorvetteFan1953
No. And if this happens to a ZR1 it's a paperweight. The pumps are unobtainable.

It's a joke. It's a big safety issue. Both for fumes and potential for fire!
No aftermarket pumps available?
Old 12-18-2023, 02:38 PM
robert.m.kalis
Instructor

Received 92 Likes on 60 Posts

Any idea if the replacement pumps are made with a different plastic that is resistant to the gasoline and alcohol
Old 12-18-2023, 02:41 PM
Iowa
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by flyingbunnys
no recall for this ever for anyone I dont believe
Old 12-18-2023, 02:43 PM
CorvetteFan1953
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Iowa
No aftermarket pumps available?
Not that I'm aware of. Custom setups sure, but if you are stock, it shouldn't be needed.
Old 12-18-2023, 03:09 PM
CSixDude
Drifting

Technically, it's called a "Special Coverage Adjustment" by GM, not an actual recall. It covers 2007-2013 Corvettes. No mention of specific model differences, so I'd assume this would also apply to the ZR1, but I could be wrong on that.
https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/20...30551-9999.pdf

Interestingly, the 2015 C7 also had a recall on the fuel pumps.
https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/20...57680-1621.pdf

Last edited by CSixDude; 12-18-2023 at 03:16 PM.
Old 12-20-2023, 08:09 PM
sirdano
Drifting

Received 148 Likes on 132 Posts

So shop finish work 2700. They told Crack was so bad it leak into the wire harness and cause the weather seal to swell. Also it was almost disconnected. This was a first for them. No dealer stock. Had to order upgraded one from canada overnight.

The following users liked this post:
CorvetteFan1953 (12-20-2023)
Old 12-20-2023, 08:18 PM
Iowa
Burning Brakes

I dread the day I have this issue. In the middle of nowhere Iowa and have a feeling I'm gonna have to travel a large distance to get this done.
The following users liked this post:
CorvetteFan1953 (12-20-2023)
Old 12-20-2023, 08:22 PM
CorvetteFan1953
Burning Brakes

I dread the day I have this issue. In the middle of nowhere Iowa and have a feeling I'm gonna have to travel a large distance to get this done.
I lose sleep at night thinking about if I ever have this issue because ZR1 fuel pumps don’t exist anymore.

I have never read about one of these having said problem….so it helps me sleep a bit.
Old 12-21-2023, 11:45 AM
MissileDoc
Pro

Received 104 Likes on 70 Posts

Ha! I grew up in one of the many "middle of no where in Iowa" areas and yes, you may have to take a trip if it happens to you. I hope you don't ever have the issue.

I live in Utah now and happen to have a great performance shop nearby that is replacing my smelly fuel pump in February.
Old 12-21-2023, 02:34 PM
CSixDude
Drifting

Here's some photos of the fuel pump replacement on one with an automatic transmission. The entire suspension/rear frame cradle, exhaust, rear end, and transmission have to come out.

Last edited by CSixDude; 12-21-2023 at 02:47 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by CSixDude:
235265283... (12-23-2023), evoviiiyou (12-21-2023)
Old 12-28-2023, 11:29 AM
Geosadowski
Intermediate

Received 15 Likes on 6 Posts

I have a 2013 427 and I started smelling fuel recently. I just came across this thread and looked into my coverage. My car went in-service 8/12/2013. After speaking with Chevy and the dealer, my coverage expired 4 months ago and there is no extending of coverage or courtesy adjustment available so I guess it's a $3,000 repair for me.
Old 12-28-2023, 11:53 AM
Iowa
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Geosadowski
I have a 2013 427 and I started smelling fuel recently. I just came across this thread and looked into my coverage. My car went in-service 8/12/2013. After speaking with Chevy and the dealer, my coverage expired 4 months ago and there is no extending of coverage or courtesy adjustment available so I guess it's a $3,000 repair for me.
Correct
Old 02-17-2024, 01:24 PM
g_scott_smith
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Mr D.
After reading several threads and watching YT videos on the subject the analyst in me is looking for the common denominator in this failure but there doesn't appear to be one. Failures seem to cross all year models, mileage marks and daily drivers to garage queens. The only statement I found that makes any sense is that the root cause of the failure is caused by embrittlement of the plastic and is exacerbated by ethanol laced fuels due to GM using the wrong type of plastic during the pump manufacturing process.

My 2012 GS with 34K for miles has no issues but how long will I be lucky? How long before parts become unattainable at GM? Should we acquire all the parts today and build up a repair kit and put that on the shelf for a future repair?

Also, not 100% sure I understand the 1/2 tank of fuel not causing a fuel smell thing. Seems that almost always the problem is a cracked outlet elbow on top of the fuel pump that I'm assuming would leak whenever under pressure vice tank fuel level.
I suspect that age and vibration play a role but I'm betting certain runs at production had substandard plastic. The SWA points out a crack where the electricals connect which I believe should not be under any pressure. My theory is that if it's ONLY at the electrical and not the elbow that gas sloshing is spitting some out. Mine so far refuses to smell when total fuel load is under 3/8 tank (which should translate to 3/4 of the drivers tank). So like me and my coffee less chance to slosh out the top the lower the level. Today I went out at 3/8 tank and did hard starts/stops/turns ... could not get the smell to return. Nor did it smell after running it static before my drive (which I would expect to get some smell if the elbow was cracked). Also would think leakage via sloshing is possible at the pump/tank junction is possible.

Still trying to figure out if my symptoms mean it's unlikely the crossover is involved (or the EVAP cannister).

Terrible how much work it is to get to all this. Design people should be forced to go do about 100 replacements to teach them a lesson in how serviceability should be considered in design. Not sure why something more like the C5 setup was not used.

Greg
Old 02-17-2024, 01:25 PM
g_scott_smith
Intermediate

Default GM Image from SWA

Forgot the image:

Get notified of new replies

To the gas leak smell

Old 02-17-2024, 02:45 PM
Dave Carney
Instructor

Received 31 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by g_scott_smith
I suspect that age and vibration play a role but I'm betting certain runs at production had substandard plastic. The SWA points out a crack where the electricals connect which I believe should not be under any pressure. My theory is that if it's ONLY at the electrical and not the elbow that gas sloshing is spitting some out.
The dealer is supposed to inspect that area around the electrical connector for gasoline but the cracks are at the elbow fitting as has been posted. This area around the electrical connector is simply an area where there should not be fuel but fuel will pool there if there is a leak. None of these are cracking around the electrical connector, it's simply the inspection point for the fuel. GM wanted evidence of actual fuel outside the system, and not just visual cracks (in the elbow) before they were going to pony up to fix it.
Old 02-17-2024, 03:06 PM
g_scott_smith
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Dave Carney
The dealer is supposed to inspect that area around the electrical connector for gasoline but the cracks are at the elbow fitting as has been posted. This area around the electrical connector is simply an area where there should not be fuel but fuel will pool there if there is a leak. None of these are cracking around the electrical connector, it's simply the inspection point for the fuel. GM wanted evidence of actual fuel outside the system, and not just visual cracks (in the elbow) before they were going to pony up to fix it.
Well this guy:

@ 3:45 into this Youtube shows where his electrical connector was at least not sealed. Not sure one could prove or disprove if fuel got out that way or not.

It's bad enough they are getting away with not fixing issues after 10 years as the older it gets the more likely you will have a problem. Bad plastic is bad plastic. I would also have wanted the dealer to disclose that it had "Special Warranty Adjustments" and that at least THIS one had NOT been executed on the car I was buying (before purchase). If I were GM I would insist dealers do that as a matter of course.

Shame on the NTSB for letting them not make it a recall or at least allowing them to put time/mileage limits in the adjustment. And huge shame on GM for the design fail and letting this issue basically give a black eye to almost the entire C6 line.

I still don't get why the problem disappears if the fuel level goes below 3/4 in that tank. Shouldn't the pump be shipping fuel out under the same pressures tank full vs tank almost empty and stressing the elbow the same? Is the tank itself supposed to operation under pressure?

At least 1 person on this forum fixed his by simply redoing the pump/tank seal with a new O-ring and locking collar.
Old 02-22-2024, 05:29 PM
Naples FL
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 169 Likes on 90 Posts

Default Gas leak fix for $26!

I am not sure if I just got lucky or am a outlier but about a month ago my ‘06 with 105k miles, started the gas fume smell after fill up and it seemed to get worse; at first the odor would go away at 3/4 tank but eventually as time me went on, it progressed to 3/8 tank before it would go away. I thought for sure I had all the symptoms of fuel pump elbow crack.
while researching, I came across a YouTube video that stated it was the gas cap as the cause.
i ordered an OEM new gas cap from eBay and installed it with 1/4 tank of gas (I had no odor before the install).
I immediately filled it up until the nozzle shut off and much to my surprise and delight it worked! No oder at all!!! In the past, I had the odor start to before leaving the gas station.
I even canceled my appointment with my local dealer that was to perform a smoke test on Monday!
also, the OEM gas cap has a new design from GM.
I strongly recommend trying a new gas cap as your first step in diagnosing the issue. U might be surprised!!!

Quick Reply: the gas leak smell