C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Extended warranty purchase

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2023, 12:17 AM
BlackFya
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Default Extended warranty purchase

Folks does anyone have a plug for the GM extended warranty purchase? I’ve seen them in the past but non recently
Old 11-11-2023, 09:15 AM
C6ToGo
Safety Car

Received 1,120 Likes on 694 Posts

I am going to go out on a limb and say that there are not many C6 extended warranty (ie, pre-paid service plan) discussions on here lately because our cars are 11 to 19 years old. Not a popular age for buying a service plan.

Dennis Fichtner was the king of GMPP plans years ago, but don't think he does them anymore. Do a search.

I would guess that you can't even get a plan from GM....just other independent companies. Watch their fine print. Many exclusions on most common failure areas.
The following users liked this post:
Klawp (11-11-2023)
Old 11-11-2023, 09:22 AM
dr_gallup
Melting Slicks

Received 906 Likes on 590 Posts

Originally Posted by C6ToGo
I am going to go out on a limb and say that there are not many C6 extended warranty (ie, pre-paid service plan) discussions on here lately because our cars are 11 to 19 years old. Not a popular age for buying a service plan.

Dennis Fichtner was the king of GMPP plans years ago, but don't think he does them anymore. Do a search.

I would guess that you can't even get a plan from GM....just other independent companies. Watch their fine print. Many exclusions on most common failure areas.
I was recently sitting in a local independent repair shop for a couple of hours as they put new rotors and pads on my truck. I was interested to listen to their conversations with owners who had service plans. In most every case the exclusions far exceeded the coverage. I would never buy one.
Old 11-11-2023, 10:03 AM
PMPerformance
Burning Brakes

Received 564 Likes on 330 Posts

Like mentioned above, these cars are old. It makes no financial sense for a company to sell a warranty unless they are going to deny everything.

These are not German or Italian cars. Just regular old cars with curvy lines and a decently sized motor. They are not all that hard or expensive to fix. Save the money on a warranty and put it in a high yield savings and collect a few bucks in interest to save for repairs
Old 11-11-2023, 03:58 PM
jaki30
Safety Car

Received 534 Likes on 307 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16

GM used to offer their Extended Protection Plans. Most cars 6 y/o or newer under 60k miles.were Certified and
you could extend the GMEPP .
I bought one for my 2016 purchased in 2020.
This year I believe they stopped offering them on any car that did not have the original
B to B warranty.
Guess they figured out they have little faith in their engineering and QA
Old 11-11-2023, 04:07 PM
C6 Snowboarder
Race Director

Received 684 Likes on 372 Posts

Take the money the Warranty cost - and invest it in the stock market.. use the money in this account to pay for unscheduled repairs... at the end of the the 3 years - take what is left and go on a long vacation which of course it would be paid for. The the rest you have left in the investment account let it continue to grow. I did exactly this on my 2 Grand Sports when I bought them 13 and 14 years ago - ( they had 2K and 4K miles on the clock when I bought them) I have not had any unscheduled repairs or failures, only Tires and oil changes - on both of them. They now have 51K and 28K miles on them, So my "Warranty Money" has grown considerably.
Old 11-11-2023, 04:29 PM
BurntOut
Racer

Received 156 Likes on 97 Posts

I'd rather set money on fire than buy an extended warranty.
The following 2 users liked this post by BurntOut:
9157 (11-11-2023), dr_gallup (11-12-2023)
Old 11-12-2023, 07:57 AM
BlackFya
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Default Thanks

Thanks for the replies fellas. I should have been a little more clear. The warranty would be for a newer model Sierra Denali I’m looking into. But you all made valid points. I inquired because I remember a few guys here offering them for significantly less than what the stealership sells them for. Thanks again for the input!
Old 11-12-2023, 04:42 PM
TCW
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 245 Likes on 177 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-13,'16-'17, '19

Originally Posted by PMPerformance
Save the money on a warranty and put it in a high yield savings and collect a few bucks in interest to save for repairs
Good advice. Any suggestion on where to find a "high yield" savings account?

Tom
Old 11-12-2023, 05:01 PM
Burntoutaccountant
Instructor

Received 45 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by dr_gallup
I was recently sitting in a local independent repair shop for a couple of hours as they put new rotors and pads on my truck. I was interested to listen to their conversations with owners who had service plans. In most every case the exclusions far exceeded the coverage. I would never buy one.
I am a service advisor. This is very true.
Old 11-12-2023, 05:28 PM
BurntOut
Racer

Received 156 Likes on 97 Posts

Originally Posted by TCW

Tom
bankrate.com
Old 11-12-2023, 06:38 PM
PMPerformance
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by TCW

Tom
I have been using capital one 360 for like a year. I want to say it’s a smidge under %4, but don’t quote me on that.
Old 11-12-2023, 07:55 PM
dr_gallup
Melting Slicks

Buy T-bills, the one I bought this week was 5.4%.
Old 11-12-2023, 08:28 PM
PMPerformance
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by dr_gallup
Buy T-bills, the one I bought this week was 5.4%.
can you get to your money immediately if needed without any hassles though?
Old 11-13-2023, 07:56 AM
dr_gallup
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by PMPerformance
can you get to your money immediately if needed without any hassles though?
The value can go up or down slightly as rates fluctuate but you can sell them any time the market is open. But I always hold them to the end and get face value. I also have a savings account giving 4.35% that I can move into checking in the blink of an eye but only about $50k.
The following users liked this post:
PMPerformance (11-13-2023)
Old 11-17-2023, 10:52 AM
VINAL13
Pro

Received 351 Likes on 205 Posts

Originally Posted by BlackFya
Folks does anyone have a plug for the GM extended warranty purchase? I’ve seen them in the past but non recently
Unfortunately, the opinions on any extended warranty programs are skewed by those who:

A- Have never purchased but state the assumed popular opinion - 'waste of money"

B- Purchased and never had a failure.

C- Purchased and had a BAD experience when getting payment for a covered failure.

D- Purchased and had a GOOD experience when getting payment for a covered failure.

When someone states a comment about these programs you need to find out where they fall into these categories to get any real value from their “opinion”

My ex-husband had Endurance on a 2017 Ford F-350 King Ranch he purchased from a private party seller. The original owner clocked enough miles during the initial year to burn through the factory warranty. He purchased the Endurance plan that covered the most items, their Supreme Exclusionary package. It was not cheap, for a 5 year / 100K mile plan it was almost $4,000. The truck had just about every option including the 6.7 Turbo-Diesel, during the first year of ownership several issues came up including transmission, AC, radio, exhaust, and a leaking sunroof. The biggest repair was a faulty turbo that required replacement. He eventually got rid of the truck after a year and a half of ownership and received a refund on the balance of the Endurance warranty even after they paid well over the origianl price in covared repairs. In this case the Endurance warranty was worth every penny, all repairs were fully covered and done at a Ford dealership, absolutely no issues with payment, a quick phone call to get authorization to take vehicle to dealership for repairs was all that was needed.

My ex was a softwrae engineer, no mechanical skills, neiter do I. For us, purchasing the extended warranty gave us piece of mind so it was worth the added expense.

I have an Endurance plan on my 2013 / 427.

Last edited by VINAL13; 11-17-2023 at 10:58 AM.
Old 11-17-2023, 11:27 AM
nmerhaut
Melting Slicks

Received 75 Likes on 62 Posts

American express online
Old 11-17-2023, 01:08 PM
Sayfoo
Melting Slicks

Received 456 Likes on 355 Posts

I just purchased a '09 convertible, manual trans (fairly rare model), with 53k miles and all dealer service records, this last Saturday from a AutoNation Chevy dealer in Mesa Az. A truely xlnt dealer, and believe it or not, a xlnt price. This was the 1st used car I've ever bought from a dealer, because I can usually find a much better deal from a private party.
Their "guy" tried to sell me a extended warranty that sounded pretty good untill I looked at the price. At first glance, it looked like $3k. I was interested till I looked again and it was $30k!
Unbelieveable. The car was $30k out the door.
I wonder if they ever sold one. I probably wouldn't have bought it even if is was $3k.
Old 11-24-2023, 07:19 AM
shekmark427
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 122 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by BlackFya
Thanks for the replies fellas. I should have been a little more clear. The warranty would be for a newer model Sierra Denali I’m looking into. But you all made valid points. I inquired because I remember a few guys here offering them for significantly less than what the stealership sells them for. Thanks again for the input!
Morning. I’ve been searching for info about warranties for my 2014 and came across this thread. I do have some info about the GM extended warranty. I got an email from Dennis ( talked about a lot for warranties) He said GM does in fact sell warranties even after the initial warranty ends, but only back to 2016 and on Corvettes no more then 40K miles. Not sure if he was an only talking Corvettes or all GM. I am assuming it’s all. He responded to my email within a couple of days. I hope this helps.

Get notified of new replies

To Extended warranty purchase

Quick Reply: Extended warranty purchase