C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tires for Base C6

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2023, 12:24 PM
birddog55
Heel & Toe

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Tires for Base C6

It's about time for a new set of tires for my 2007 base corvette.
I know I'm going to get a lot of answers here, but I don't do any racing just a lot of cruising some windy roads mostly in the summer and a little in the spring and fall.
I don't drive in snow, but do get into some rain occasionally.
I'm looking for something thats not go to break the bank.
I've heard that the Continental Extreme Contact DWS 06 Plus are good, all so Continental Extreme Contact Sport 2.
I'm not sold on Continental's yet.
I have Falken's on my SUV and Cooper's on my Denali pickup they are great tires for these cars.
I have MICHELIN PILOT SPORT 4S on the back and some off brand tire in the front (Gremax).
Any help would be appreciated,

Thanks,

Old 10-25-2023, 01:06 PM
Yorcci
Pro

Received 108 Likes on 83 Posts

Search for some tire tests from the internet, look at the qualities you prefer and then you can make an educated guess, which tires fall into your budget, based on some real world data. Everyone's opinion is their own and should not be a guide to anybody. Opinions are just opinions.

My personal driving style is very hostile to the rear tires, so I personally tend to stay in the cheaper options, but I always stay with known brands, I never choose something nobody has ever heard from.
Old 10-25-2023, 01:27 PM
JerriVette
Race Director

Received 3,948 Likes on 2,177 Posts

I had hankook evos for a few rounds and they were good tires and inexpensive.

otherwise I like Michelin P4s tires. The continentals I hear are good tires.
Old 10-25-2023, 01:47 PM
FAUEE
Race Director

Received 4,474 Likes on 2,814 Posts

If you just cruising, buy whatever tires. These cars have a ton of grip even with less sporty tires if you're an easy driver.
The following users liked this post:
Mike98SilVert (10-25-2023)
Old 10-25-2023, 02:10 PM
FatChance
Racer

Received 142 Likes on 88 Posts

I have Continental Extreme Contact DWS 06 Plus tires on my 06 C6 base coupe and am very happy with them. Lots of very fun roads in this part of central Arizona and a mild four season climate and they are perfect for my year round purposes which are similar to yours.
Old 10-25-2023, 02:57 PM
4SUMERZ
Race Car Tech
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,320 Likes on 1,664 Posts

Tire Rack gives great reviews on every aspect, based on comfort, ride, wet driving, dry road, and tread wear.
It's hard to beat Michelin Tires, but they are a bit higher priced. I see you are running non run flats

The Nitto NT 555 do not have enough mileage yet for reviews, but the tread pattern is the same as the old style Firestone Indy 500, and I ran 3 sets and they were my favourite tire for ride, great in wet and dry conditions, and good tread wear. These must be fairly new. I am going to try these as I need a new set to replace my Michelin PS4S tires, which are down to 4/32" and starting to get loud.

Good Luck with your decision.

Old 10-25-2023, 03:49 PM
c5arlen
Melting Slicks

Received 826 Likes on 593 Posts

Why not Michelin?
Z51Madison (10-27-2023)
Old 10-25-2023, 04:11 PM
FAUEE
Race Director

Originally Posted by 4SUMERZ
Tire Rack gives great reviews on every aspect, based on comfort, ride, wet driving, dry road, and tread wear.
It's hard to beat Michelin Tires, but they are a bit higher priced. I see you are running non run flats

The Nitto NT 555 do not have enough mileage yet for reviews, but the tread pattern is the same as the old style Firestone Indy 500, and I ran 3 sets and they were my favourite tire for ride, great in wet and dry conditions, and good tread wear. These must be fairly new. I am going to try these as I need a new set to replace my Michelin PS4S tires, which are down to 4/32" and starting to get loud.

Good Luck with your decision.
The 555G2 is an old tire, and it's frankly not very good. Not good in cool temperature, not good in rain, not bad in warm temperatures but fairly loud and overpriced. Hankook v12 is a much better alternative.
Old 10-25-2023, 04:34 PM
jamieo
Melting Slicks

Received 544 Likes on 407 Posts

My experience was just the opposite.My Nittos hook and ride much better than the Hankooks I replaced.I guess a lot of it just comes down to personal preference and driving style.
Old 10-25-2023, 10:35 PM
Vader_C5
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 697 Likes on 410 Posts
2024 Corvette of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2023 C2 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2023 C5 of the Year Winner - Unmodified

I would go with Michelin Pilot Super Sport ZP
The following 2 users liked this post by Vader_C5:
9157 (11-02-2023), Landru (10-27-2023)
Old 10-25-2023, 10:38 PM
VetteVinnie
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,697 Likes on 1,080 Posts

Originally Posted by Vader_C5
I would go with Michelin Pilot Super Sport ZP
This is what I ran on my Z06, my ZR1 and what will eventually end up on my Grand Sport once I burn the tread off these Hankooks that came with it when I bought it last year. Either that, or I'll end up with a set of 19"/20" wheels and go straight to the Michelins.
Old 10-25-2023, 10:51 PM
FAUEE
Race Director

Originally Posted by jamieo
My experience was just the opposite.My Nittos hook and ride much better than the Hankooks I replaced.I guess a lot of it just comes down to personal preference and driving style.
How long have you had them? I had them for a few years on a 300hp 5.3L Colorado crew cab, 285s in width too (way too much tire on it, but they were brand new when I got it) . In summer it was fine, when it was wet out I had to be a little cautious. It would absolutely destroy the rear tires with moderate throttle when it chilled off in fall in NC. Cold and wet like it was all winter? It was exercise in control to stay out of TCS.

Most people don't use a Corvette the way I used that truck, it was my every day get to work truck, so they might be better in that aspect. But I had a lot less HP than a C6 would have too.
mpguidry (10-27-2023)
Old 10-26-2023, 05:40 AM
jamieo
Melting Slicks

Received 544 Likes on 407 Posts

I have had the Nittos since last fall.The main reason I got them was they were one of the few that were available in the sizes I was looking for.The 20% discount I got was also a bonus.I was pleasantly surprised with them actually.
FAUEE (10-26-2023)
Old 10-26-2023, 07:12 AM
foundvettelifeisgood
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 184 Likes on 87 Posts

MICHELIN PILOT SPORT A/S 3+
Ultra High Performance All-Season

I've had 3 great C6's over the past several years. A 2005 convertible, a 2010 ZR1 and a 2010 GS. I'm in PA. I drive every nice day I can, so I can't live with summer only rubber. I've tried the Conti's and they just don't have a strong enough sidewall in the corners. The handling is compromised. These A/S 3+ Michelins are a tremendous tire, even for a 638hp ZR1.

Don't go cheap on tires. Their impact on the driving experience is just too fundamental. The Corvette engineers know this and put the best rubber they can on their pride and joy.
Z51Madison (10-27-2023)
Old 10-26-2023, 07:09 PM
CQRT
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 295 Likes on 237 Posts

Originally Posted by birddog55
It's about time for a new set of tires for my 2007 base corvette.
I know I'm going to get a lot of answers here, but I don't do any racing just a lot of cruising some windy roads mostly in the summer and a little in the spring and fall.
I don't drive in snow, but do get into some rain occasionally.
I'm looking for something thats not go to break the bank.
I've heard that the Continental Extreme Contact DWS 06 Plus are good, all so Continental Extreme Contact Sport 2.
I'm not sold on Continental's yet.
I have Falken's on my SUV and Cooper's on my Denali pickup they are great tires for these cars.
I have MICHELIN PILOT SPORT 4S on the back and some off brand tire in the front (Gremax).
Any help would be appreciated,

Thanks,

I'm putting on Continental Contact sports on- replacing 7 year old Michelins that are hard and starting to crack on the shoulders.

Discount Tire- with replacement stickers- for $1550 out the door.
Discount Tire (10-27-2023)
Old 10-26-2023, 11:02 PM
skybolt31
Drifting

Received 87 Likes on 54 Posts

First two questions to ask are do you want run flats and do you want summer only tires? If you drive in temps below 40, you should get all season tires. I don't know where you live so I can't say if that is an issue for you. I am certain that the all season do not grip as well as summer tires, but for all but the most extreme of us, they probably will work fine. The run flat choice is up to you of course, run flats have stiffer sidewalls and will sacrifice some handling and ride quality, but give you another option if you have a flat. For me, I have a compressor, a bottle of slime and a AAA card. I almost never get a flat so that is my choice, many people choose the run flat and the latest ones probably don't give up much in the way of ride.

Lots of people on here like the Continentals and Michelins, I am sure there are other good tires as well. But once you answer those two questions you can narrow your choices.
Old 10-27-2023, 11:34 AM
Dzv69
Burning Brakes

Received 342 Likes on 228 Posts

I have a Grand Sport that had four brand new Michelin ZPs when i bought it. But i follow tire threads on this forum and read as many tire reviews i can find to prepare for getting new tires someday. Michelin and Continental are tops but a lot of Corvette owners (base and wide body) have the Firestone Firehawk Indy 500 and give positive reviews on them. I saw one YouTube video of a guy that had the Firestone Firehawk Indy 500s on his BMW and he drove it in sub-40 degrees on slushy wet roads at speed limit and said they performed excellent.
Old 10-27-2023, 11:49 AM
vezePilot
Racer

Received 97 Likes on 68 Posts

Lots of choices. From your description of your driving, which is similar to mine now (done racing) THESE:

These are working very well on my Base 07, in every regard. Made in Thailand, IIRC.

Get ALL FOUR for the price of a single Michelin Pilot Super Sport ZP.

These work great, as well. Pre-programmed for Corvette and Cadillac.

Last edited by vezePilot; 10-27-2023 at 11:56 AM.
Old 10-27-2023, 12:05 PM
vezePilot
Racer

Received 97 Likes on 68 Posts

Originally Posted by foundvettelifeisgood
MICHELIN PILOT SPORT A/S 3+
Don't go cheap on tires. Their impact on the driving experience is just too fundamental. The Corvette engineers know this and put the best rubber they can on their pride and joy.
Right.
My "pride and joy" is a 2021 Chevy Trail Boss 4x4 (which will soon get KO2's). The Corvette is (to quote Dan523) ... "just a car."

Quick Reply: Tires for Base C6