C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Advice for leveling up at drag strip & 1/2 miles.

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2023, 10:17 AM
davyboy39
Instructor

Received 62 Likes on 36 Posts
Default Advice for leveling up at drag strip & 1/2 miles.

Looking for advice to make my car faster. I'm not sure if I've maxed out my current setup or if I can modify it more or if I should just start over with something different. Made 4 passes at the drag strip last night and I'm contemplating how to improve. It seems I have 3 options. First, just keep my current setup and work on my driving skills, particularly getting a good launch. I could possibly shave off a few tenths with just more seat time. Second, figure out a way to add more power to my current setup. Third, just sell my car and find a faster car. I definitely feel I should be getting better time with my current setup. I was getting good traction with my new Hoosiers. I ran without an air filter and installed a bellmouth on my procharger dongle.

I love my C6 GS manual because it looks awesome and has a removable top. I don't daily drive it, but just take occasional cruises with the wife, but also like going to the drag strip and 1/2 mile events. Just trying to strike a good balance of reliability and power.
My current setup below:

· SBE LS3 w/ D1SC Procharger, 3.85 pulley - Boost peaked around 16.5 psi.

· Injector Dynamics 1050 injectors

· BTR SC camshaft, BTR .660 valve springs w/ platinum retainers, BTR 7400 pushrods

· IWIS timing chain

· ATI balancer

· 1-7/8" ARH headers and 3" catless x-pipe w/ Corsa Sport

· MGW flat stick short shifter

· Firecore50 plug wires

· McLeod RXT twin disk clutch - 6932-07 - SFI Steel Flywheel –Balanced - New GM Slave Cylinder

· E85 Flex Fuel Sensor

· Mighty Mouse 800HP boosted catch can

· FORE Fuel System L1 (C5/C6) - Twin 450lph Pumps

· Drag pack setup: Rear – Forgestar D5 beadlock w/ Hoosier Drag Bracket Radial 28.0x10.5x17

· Fronts: Mickey Thompson 26x6r17LT Sportsman on Forgestar D5 17x5 wheels

· Mustang dyno with air filter: 768 hp / 648 ft-lbs. torque

· Mustang dyno without air filter: 808 hp / 673 ft-lbs. torque

Last night's time slips:

Drag strip video:
The following users liked this post:
JackDidley (10-19-2023)
Old 10-19-2023, 10:29 AM
acroy
Le Mans Master

Received 1,431 Likes on 858 Posts

I am no pro, but I think the car has 9's in it. You have slow 60' and very fast trap speed, so 'driver mod' is needed imho to get the car moving.
Old 10-19-2023, 10:50 AM
davyboy39
Instructor

Originally Posted by acroy
I am no pro, but I think the car has 9's in it. You have slow 60' and very fast trap speed, so 'driver mod' is needed imho to get the car moving.
I definitely agree with you that I should be able to do better with this setup. But even if I reduce my 60' to 1.5 or 1.6, I still won't be in the 9's. I know my launch needs work, but I was hitting gears really well at redline, so not sure what else I can do after 60'.
Old 10-19-2023, 10:56 AM
StayinStock
Safety Car

Received 3,357 Likes on 1,627 Posts
2024 Corvette of the Year Finalist - Modified
2023 C6 of the Year Winner - Modified
2022 C6 of the Year Finalist - Modified

Agreed, if you can get that 60 ft down it def has a 9 in it. Clutch slipper maybe? dunno much about them other than they exist. not sure how they would effect drivability. Other option is cut weight. I've always been an auto guy so I cant really say what would be best. Nice build either way! Keep us posted

https://bangshiftbilly.com/ Heres one clutch slipper i found just doing a quick search.
Old 10-19-2023, 11:10 AM
acroy
Le Mans Master

Rule of thumb is every 0.1 at the 60' gives you 0.2-0.3 at the 1/4 mile. Go from 1.9 to 1.5, that is 0.8-1.2 faster at the quarter. You can get 9's
Old 10-19-2023, 11:14 AM
mn_vette
Melting Slicks

Received 73 Likes on 46 Posts

Start by tightening the loose nut behind the wheel.

A few comments.
The 60' time seems pretty slow for a manual with hoosiers. Getting that launch dialed in and perfected will help quite a bit. 1.8 on street tires is possible, with your tires I would expect better.
Getting a datalog of what the engine is doing could be helpful. If you are seeing knock retard or something else pulling timing you can see it and figure it out.
You mentioned a flex sensor, but didn't mention that you were running e85. If you aren't you probably want to be running meth injection. Logging the IATs would be good, especially running that much boost. Heat soak of an intercooler is much different at the track vs the dyno.

It is good to see the timeslips fairly consistent. If you were going to do an upgrade it looks like you'd want to do a stroker of some form.

Old 10-19-2023, 11:22 AM
davyboy39
Instructor

Rule of thumb is every 0.1 at the 60' gives you 0.2-0.3 at the 1/4 mile. Go from 1.9 to 1.5, that is 0.8-1.2 faster at the quarter. You can get 9's
Awesome! I've never heard that before, but that definitely makes me feel more optimistic about being able to improve. Thanks!
Old 10-19-2023, 11:28 AM
acroy
Le Mans Master

Your runs are consistent, that is excellent.
I think you are shifting quite slowly. You have at least 1/2 sec there as well. Compare the vid of your shifts (listen to the gaps) vs this guy @ about 1:50. This is something you can practice in the garage, engine off, till it's muscle memory. There's some good guides out there on how to shift fast w/o hurting anything.
davyboy39 (10-19-2023)
Old 10-19-2023, 11:30 AM
davyboy39
Instructor

Originally Posted by mn_vette
Start by tightening the loose nut behind the wheel.

A few comments.
The 60' time seems pretty slow for a manual with hoosiers. Getting that launch dialed in and perfected will help quite a bit. 1.8 on street tires is possible, with your tires I would expect better.
Getting a datalog of what the engine is doing could be helpful. If you are seeing knock retard or something else pulling timing you can see it and figure it out.
You mentioned a flex sensor, but didn't mention that you were running e85. If you aren't you probably want to be running meth injection. Logging the IATs would be good, especially running that much boost. Heat soak of an intercooler is much different at the track vs the dyno.

It is good to see the timeslips fairly consistent. If you were going to do an upgrade it looks like you'd want to do a stroker of some form.
Yep, I always run E85. I even tested the pump E85 right at 85% ethanol. After my previous time at the track, I too was concerned about my IAT's. That day is was about 90 degrees and I know my engine was hot. After that, I added some hood heat extractors and wrapped my intake tube with gold heat tape. What do I need to do to get a datalog and check IAT's? Last night, I was trying to launch around 3,000 rpm, which felt like it was hooking well. But then I saw my 60's, so not sure.
Old 10-19-2023, 12:07 PM
FAUEE
Race Director

Received 4,480 Likes on 2,818 Posts

Agreed. Your RTs and 60 door times are... Not great. You're the limiting factor,.or possibly the tires?
Old 10-19-2023, 12:09 PM
StayinStock
Safety Car

Received 3,357 Likes on 1,627 Posts
2024 Corvette of the Year Finalist - Modified
2023 C6 of the Year Winner - Modified
2022 C6 of the Year Finalist - Modified

R/T wont matter unless your actually racing. If he's just trying to run a time he can focus on that part later.
Old 10-19-2023, 12:11 PM
davyboy39
Instructor

Originally Posted by FAUEE
Agreed. Your RTs and 60 door times are... Not great. You're the limiting factor,.or possibly the tires?
Don't think it's the tires. The more I think about it, it's the guy in the driver's seat. I'll keep trying though! By the way, I really appreciate everyone's advice. This forum and its members are truly a great resource. Thanks!!
kanvasman (10-20-2023)
Old 10-19-2023, 01:31 PM
tektrans
Drifting

Received 315 Likes on 221 Posts

Get an auto.
otherwise lotta seat time and hard to consistently reproduce good 60s
Old 10-19-2023, 02:29 PM
mn_vette
Melting Slicks

Received 73 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by davyboy39
Yep, I always run E85. I even tested the pump E85 right at 85% ethanol. After my previous time at the track, I too was concerned about my IAT's. That day is was about 90 degrees and I know my engine was hot. After that, I added some hood heat extractors and wrapped my intake tube with gold heat tape. What do I need to do to get a datalog and check IAT's? Last night, I was trying to launch around 3,000 rpm, which felt like it was hooking well. But then I saw my 60's, so not sure.
Most people I've seen out there use HP Tuners to do the data logging. You can do data logging with a laptop and you don't have to buy any credits unless you want to change your tune.
Experimenting with the launch is key, more revs, more or less clutch slip time, things like that. Unfortunately, you usually only get a handful of runs per track visit and it takes a while to dial in.

Old 10-19-2023, 02:43 PM
acroy
Le Mans Master

Don't think it's the tires. The more I think about it, it's the guy in the driver's seat. I'll keep trying though! By the way, I really appreciate everyone's advice. This forum and its members are truly a great resource. Thanks!!
I think with practice you have mid 9's in there Maybe there's a local pro driver you could get tips/training from? Or if there's a 'hotshoe' at the track, ask him to drive your car. I did that when I was into HPDE and it was revelatory.
Old 10-19-2023, 03:45 PM
Eshoremd
Melting Slicks

Received 483 Likes on 290 Posts
2023 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified

Isn't his mph a little slow for that hp?
Old 10-19-2023, 03:56 PM
davyboy39
Instructor

Originally Posted by Eshoremd
Isn't his mph a little slow for that hp?
I was thinking the same! The last time I had a good run at that track, I was at 645 whp and ran 10.89 at 137 mph. Now, I'm supposedly at +/-800 whp and still running about the same. Same thing at the 1/2 mile Indy Airstrip Attack. A couple years ago at 645 whp, ran 155 mph. Then this last August at +/-800 hp, I ran 156 mph. Granted, I was running in a strong head wind this last time at the Airstrip Attack. I know there's a lot of variables at play, but this has been making me wonder. Do I really have 800 whp or am I just not getting the power to the pavement? It sure feels fast as hell when rolling into it on the highway.

Get notified of new replies

To Advice for leveling up at drag strip & 1/2 miles.

Old 10-19-2023, 07:55 PM
subfloor@centurytrans
Supporting Vendor

Received 777 Likes on 506 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (track prepared)
C6 of Year Winner (track prepared) 2019

Looking for advice to make my car faster. I'm not sure if I've maxed out my current setup or if I can modify it more or if I should just start over with something different. Made 4 passes at the drag strip last night and I'm contemplating how to improve. It seems I have 3 options. First, just keep my current setup and work on my driving skills, particularly getting a good launch. I could possibly shave off a few tenths with just more seat time. Second, figure out a way to add more power to my current setup. Third, just sell my car and find a faster car. I definitely feel I should be getting better time with my current setup. I was getting good traction with my new Hoosiers. I ran without an air filter and installed a bellmouth on my procharger dongle.

I love my C6 GS manual because it looks awesome and has a removable top. I don't daily drive it, but just take occasional cruises with the wife, but also like going to the drag strip and 1/2 mile events. Just trying to strike a good balance of reliability and power.
My current setup below:

· SBE LS3 w/ D1SC Procharger, 3.85 pulley - Boost peaked around 16.5 psi.

· Injector Dynamics 1050 injectors

· BTR SC camshaft, BTR .660 valve springs w/ platinum retainers, BTR 7400 pushrods

· IWIS timing chain

· ATI balancer

· 1-7/8" ARH headers and 3" catless x-pipe w/ Corsa Sport

· MGW flat stick short shifter

· Firecore50 plug wires

· McLeod RXT twin disk clutch - 6932-07 - SFI Steel Flywheel –Balanced - New GM Slave Cylinder

· E85 Flex Fuel Sensor

· Mighty Mouse 800HP boosted catch can

· FORE Fuel System L1 (C5/C6) - Twin 450lph Pumps

· Drag pack setup: Rear – Forgestar D5 beadlock w/ Hoosier Drag Bracket Radial 28.0x10.5x17

· Fronts: Mickey Thompson 26x6r17LT Sportsman on Forgestar D5 17x5 wheels

· Mustang dyno with air filter: 768 hp / 648 ft-lbs. torque

· Mustang dyno without air filter: 808 hp / 673 ft-lbs. torque

Last night's time slips:

Drag strip video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nsY3...nnel=DavidLipe
The biggest reason for your lackluster ET all happens in the first 330' because beyond that point the car is properly flying. The reason for starting with the 330' mark is because it should be a given that the car is hooking properly and rolling cleanly, thus taking any wheelspin out of the equation.

Using one of my timeslips from a couple weeks back I'll explain. Although my car is a high 9 second, NA LS7 with a high stall automatic, the points I mention below are still applicable to yours.

In this 10.13 pass, the time it takes to go from 330' to 1320' is 6.053 seconds (10.130-4.077). On your fastest pass (the 10.628) that same interval is only 5.894 seconds (10.628-4.734). As expected, your car is faster than mine for this interval and related to this you also pick up more MPH from the 1/8th to the 1/4 - 27MPH for me compared to just under 30MPH for you.

So the point of all this is you need to figure how to get rolling to 330' faster than you are now as everything beyond that looks great. In fact, if you had my 330' time on your fastest run it would have been a 9.971 pass (5.894+4.077) or possibly even quicker.

I'll admit that my situation is slightly different than yours but getting it out of the hole faster is still applicable. I have the luxury of just being able to floor it and hang on whereas you have the clutch to deal with so I don't envy you. The one time I tried racing my 2006 Z06 while my regular race car was down was bordering on pathetic.

As for what might be slowing you down initially a few things come to mind.

Wheelspin, either at the launch or even after you get rolling. This can be caused by a number of things such as sucky track prep, too short or too long of a burnout, incorrect tire pressure or tires that are more than 2yrs old.

If wheelspin isn't an issue then you might be launching at too low an RPM meaning it takes longer for the car to get rolling.

You might also have a conservative tune meaning that your ignition timing is lower than it could possibly be.

Hope some of this helps.

davyboy39 (10-20-2023)
Old 10-19-2023, 08:19 PM
HOXXOH
Race Director

Received 2,062 Likes on 1,506 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

In relationship to your relatively slow 60', the MPH at the end sounds like the HP is there. Working on the launch is the key point to better times.
My simple LS3 bolt-on (394 HP) with a 4000 stall A6 cut 1.48-1.54 consistent 60' times which got me 10.80-10.90 ET's at 125-127 mph.
Don't even attempt to cut a good light, until you can consistently launch the car. Try slipping the clutch rather quickly from 4000 RPM. Once you can stick the tires in the first 10-20 feet, then increase the launch RPM.
davyboy39 (10-20-2023)
Old 10-20-2023, 06:48 AM
VetteVinnie
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,715 Likes on 1,090 Posts

Originally Posted by mn_vette
To your point, I did exactly that: a 1.8 on street tires (Nitto Invos). Of course, track prep played a huge role with that. Side note, I did it with at least 200 fewer ponies in a naturally aspirated H/C/I Z06 (~630rwhp on a Dynojet), so I agree that with the right conditions and the right launch, this car is in the high 9s: https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...eet-tires.html

Last edited by VetteVinnie; 10-20-2023 at 06:54 AM.
davyboy39 (10-20-2023)

Quick Reply: Advice for leveling up at drag strip & 1/2 miles.