C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need to tape a sign on the door of my C6

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2023, 04:13 PM
diitto
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

Default Need to tape a sign on the door of my C6

Hi... The grand marshal of an upcoming parade in our little town, who also drives a Corvette, asked me if I would drive him in my Grand Sport convertible in the parade next Sunday... A very good guy, very deserving of this honor, and I told him I would gladly do so... Knowing that it was going to require me to hang a couple signs on each door with his name and parade title... So... Never taped anything to the car body before...

I plan to give the car a complete cleaning and wax job before this parade... I do own both the Frog brand of delicate surface tape (yellow) and a similar delicate surface tape made by 3M (purple)... I've already done a mini-test and I think using either of these tapes will be ok... I put a piece on a dry, clean surface of my Crystal Red car... Pulled it off slowly and all it left on the car was a tiny bit of tape dust (glue dust???) along the edges of the tape as I removed it... Wiped off trivially with a soft cloth... Only needs to be on for say an hour or so in the parade...

Any thoughts or advice on this??? One person suggested I put the windows up an inch or so and tape the top of the sign on the glass window... But I would still need to tape the bottom on the door and maybe the sides as well...

Gotta do this but wanna give it the best chance and just working OK and not damaging the paint in any way...

Thoughts??? thanks...
Old 10-09-2023, 04:22 PM
billmoore48
Racer

Received 28 Likes on 21 Posts

Do it and honor your friend! Choose the tape you have and just enjoy the day! I've used 3M blue tape before and don't remember any problems getting the residue - if any - off the paint.
Old 10-09-2023, 04:50 PM
540 vette
Race Director

Received 300 Likes on 214 Posts

The paint isn't going to pull off the paint. If it does you have some problems
The following users liked this post:
cthusker (10-09-2023)
Old 10-09-2023, 05:05 PM
I M Tweety Bird
Racer

Received 111 Likes on 61 Posts

Find a local sign shop and see if they carry Gerber "Instachange" material which can be printed on and applied to your car.....can be removed without harming the vehicle surface. I make my car racing #'s out of it and remove them after racing....then reapply them the next time I go to the track

The following users liked this post:
64drvr (10-09-2023)
Old 10-09-2023, 05:29 PM
gdmoore01
Burning Brakes

Received 552 Likes on 382 Posts

Masking or painters tape will work. The adhesive is gentle and designed to not damage or remove paint. Painters tape comes in different colors, if that would help disguise the tape. You may need to look out the side windows while driving, so apply the sign to the doors.

GD
Old 10-09-2023, 05:39 PM
FAUEE
Race Director

Received 4,475 Likes on 2,814 Posts

A lot of road course guys will do their whole front end with painters tape. Can't say I'm convinced that it will protect against rocks.or rubber, but bugs and the like, sure, plus it comes off easy without any major residue.
Old 10-09-2023, 05:40 PM
Brickmaster
Instructor

Received 61 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by diitto
Hi... The grand marshal of an upcoming parade in our little town, who also drives a Corvette, asked me if I would drive him in my Grand Sport convertible in the parade next Sunday... A very good guy, very deserving of this honor, and I told him I would gladly do so... Knowing that it was going to require me to hang a couple signs on each door with his name and parade title... So... Never taped anything to the car body before...

I plan to give the car a complete cleaning and wax job before this parade... I do own both the Frog brand of delicate surface tape (yellow) and a similar delicate surface tape made by 3M (purple)... I've already done a mini-test and I think using either of these tapes will be ok... I put a piece on a dry, clean surface of my Crystal Red car... Pulled it off slowly and all it left on the car was a tiny bit of tape dust (glue dust???) along the edges of the tape as I removed it... Wiped off trivially with a soft cloth... Only needs to be on for say an hour or so in the parade...

Any thoughts or advice on this??? One person suggested I put the windows up an inch or so and tape the top of the sign on the glass window... But I would still need to tape the bottom on the door and maybe the sides as well...

Gotta do this but wanna give it the best chance and just working OK and not damaging the paint in any way...

Thoughts??? thanks...
why do corvette owner freak over such tribal bs. Any XAR GUY. Knows this is an every day occurrence in body shops , sometimes leaving tape on for days when painting a car using 3 m blue green orcyellow gold line tape. Take a deep breath, put on your big boy pants and slap that sign on. Just do it
Old 10-09-2023, 07:36 PM
JABCAT
Race Director

Received 8,863 Likes on 4,267 Posts
2020 C6 of the Year Winner - Modified

Have you seen the adhesive they use to keep the emblems on? That's doesn't peel paint when removed and neither will painters tape. Hell use duct tape and you'll still be fine.
Old 10-09-2023, 08:07 PM
diitto
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Hi... I appreciate all the responses... I've just never done the "tape a sign deal" before and I just needed to ask those who know more than me... I DID have 10 year old Clear Bra removed from the hood, fenders and nose, only to put a new version back on the nose... The guys who did that were real pros... Took them 7 hours and no factory paint was damaged... looked like it did when it was new 11 years ago in 2012... So yes, hard to imagine a bit of "delicate surface" tape could cause any issues but just wanted to ask you folks... Again, thank you for the help...
Old 10-09-2023, 08:32 PM
DrKrieger
Drifting

Received 834 Likes on 485 Posts
2023 C6 of the Year Finalist - Modified

I've used Blue Painters tape a number of times for the same reason....no problems what-so-ever.
Have a great event!
Old 10-09-2023, 08:47 PM
diitto
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Much appreciated... 👍... thanks..
Old 10-09-2023, 10:15 PM
DeudeMann
Intermediate

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

As mentioned blue painter's tape is fine. It is commonly used by track day participants (HPDEs) including on some very expensive cars to make temporary numbers. I have done the same.
Old 10-09-2023, 10:43 PM
diitto
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by DeudeMann
As mentioned blue painter's tape is fine. It is commonly used by track day participants (HPDEs) including on some very expensive cars to make temporary numbers. I have done the same.
Thanks... I appreciate the input.....
Old 10-09-2023, 11:18 PM
cmonkey713
Race Director

Received 1,259 Likes on 920 Posts

If the car is ceramic coated most tape will have a hard time sticking to the paint. I would not be concerned about using general use painters' tape, lots of people use it.
Old 10-09-2023, 11:41 PM
diitto
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by cmonkey713
If the car is ceramic coated most tape will have a hard time sticking to the paint. I would not be concerned about using general use painters' tape, lots of people use it.
No ceramic... Wax yes but otherwise nothing... Tried some of the delicate surface tape I bought and it seems to stick well and is easy to remove later and leaves no residue.... This tape will only need to be on for a couple of hours... thanks for the input...
Old 10-10-2023, 07:17 AM
C6ToGo
Safety Car

Received 1,120 Likes on 694 Posts

Agree with others on the tape....just do it.

Your bigger concern will be on parade day when someone wants to walk across your seats and center console to sit on your trunk and wave at bystanders.
Old 10-10-2023, 11:21 AM
diitto
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by C6ToGo
Agree with others on the tape....just do it.

Your bigger concern will be on parade day when someone wants to walk across your seats and center console to sit on your trunk and wave at bystanders.
Good point... THAT would get my attention for sure... lol... Does kind of put the taping part in better perspective... thanks...

Get notified of new replies

To Need to tape a sign on the door of my C6

Old 10-10-2023, 01:49 PM
PAPAYOYO
Racer

Received 170 Likes on 111 Posts

Drill sign to door and no adhesive worries🤔
Old 10-10-2023, 02:02 PM
6 Shooter
Melting Slicks

Received 1,186 Likes on 666 Posts

Originally Posted by 540 vette
The paint isn't going to pull off the paint. If it does you have some problems

Old 10-10-2023, 02:58 PM
Garyg51
Instructor

Received 59 Likes on 16 Posts

recently had a 200lb + football player sit on my tonnue cover for a parade. shoes off, towel under the butt. blue tape on the paint. no problems.

Quick Reply: Need to tape a sign on the door of my C6