C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Question about upgrade fan for corvette Zo6

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2023, 11:32 PM
Am007
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question about upgrade fan for corvette Zo6

I have question and i need your help to solve this problem… as you know the whether in the Middle East summer is very hot ,, i have corvette C6 Zo6 and high performance so i want to upgrade the fan ..
I bought spal dual fan 11”

but i have the problem when I put it on my car some the fans work the other not work …
So what is your advice to upgrade the fan ? Maybe SPAL Brushless 17in Electric Fan better ?
Old 09-29-2023, 06:43 AM
pokerpro
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 387 Likes on 219 Posts
2023 C6 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2022 C6 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2021 C6 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2020 C6 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2015 C6 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by Am007
I have question and i need your help to solve this problem… as you know the whether in the Middle East summer is very hot ,, i have corvette C6 Zo6 and high performance so i want to upgrade the fan ..
I bought spal dual fan 11”

but i have the problem when I put it on my car some the fans work the other not work …
So what is your advice to upgrade the fan ? Maybe SPAL Brushless 17in Electric Fan better ?
I purchased The pro speed dual fan & shroud with the dewitts radiator. I havn't seen my temps go above 200 yet on my Zo6.
https://www.prospeedautosports.com/p...pro-01-04-1007
Old 09-30-2023, 03:56 AM
c5mtl
Drifting

Received 52 Likes on 36 Posts

you should just wire them up to a proper relay with direct battery power feed and run them on a switch
Old 09-30-2023, 05:59 AM
Dano523
Race Director

Received 3,025 Likes on 2,179 Posts

OEM PWM is rated for about a 20amp load, but not a full time load run continuous instead.
With two fans (litttle over 40amps on start up, and about 36 amps with the fans running full blast), twice the load, going to burn the fan radiator side connector, and even the PWM and its connector on the quick side with the dual set up.

this topic will walk you through using the correct 60 amp SSR to replace the OEM PWM to drive the fans with the ECM.
https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...ring-help.html

If you want to drive the fans more, then can go into the ECM tune to bring the fans on earlier, and even driven harder as well.

If you want to add in a toggle switch to drive the fans when the ECM is not pushing them, then add in the switch with 60 amp relay parallel with the fan ground to chassis ground, to bypass the SRR control. Hence switch controls the coil side of the relay, with relays coil power side off a power source that is only energized with the car is turned on. But doing this way, you don't forget to turn the switch off/leave the fans runnning too long with the motor off, and drain the battery isntead.

As for more air draw across the stock radiator with the twin fan set up, may help some, but may still need to update the radiator to a better cooling units as well.
Bottom line, if you are trying to hold the temp to 180, bad idea, since oil does not get hot enough to burn off the water that is collect out the air as the oil does cool back down, and the reason that GM wants the motor temp to be 210~215 in the first place, so the oil does stay cleaner a lot longer.

Old 09-30-2023, 06:07 AM
Dano523
Race Director

To add, the fan wires should be on the bottom side when its installed, and all the flaps should be opening on the bottom side as well (gravity holding them closed).
I bring this up, since the top in the photo above, should be the bottom side, and all the flaps on the top side are installed upside down.

Hence fans not running, air coming in from the front of car will open the flaps so more air can flow through.
When fans are turned off, they will create a vacuum to hold the flaps closed, so long as the flap openings are all pointed down.
With the way that the flaps not installed correctly now, when the fans kick on, and gravity holding some of the flaps open, then fans will just pull air in from them, isntead of pulling all the air vacuum they create through the radiator isntead.
Old 09-30-2023, 01:03 PM
FAUEE
Race Director

Received 4,468 Likes on 2,812 Posts

One other thing to remember here, fans only help cool when you're sitting. If you're moving over like 20mph, the fans aren't doing anything for cooling. If you're overheating while moving, it's your radiator.
Old 09-30-2023, 02:20 PM
Dano523
Race Director

Originally Posted by FAUEE
One other thing to remember here, fans only help cool when you're sitting. If you're moving over like 20mph, the fans aren't doing anything for cooling. If you're overheating while moving, it's your radiator.

Or AC condenser, with both maybe needing a good back flush cleaning so they can flow air through them correctly to begin with,
Old 09-30-2023, 03:23 PM
FAUEE
Race Director

Received 4,468 Likes on 2,812 Posts

Originally Posted by Dano523
Or AC condenser, with both maybe needing a good back flush cleaning so they can flow air through them correctly to begin with,
https://youtu.be/sx4xUnjpkvI
Good point, both the radiator and condenser should be cleaned.

I was more saying that the cooling is coming from the radiator. So if everything is clear and it's still running hot at speed, you may need a larger/more efficient radiator.
The following users liked this post:
cthusker (09-30-2023)
Old 09-30-2023, 07:33 PM
old motorhead
Le Mans Master

Received 1,341 Likes on 949 Posts

If you put a better radiator in, your stock fan can move plenty of air and doesn't have to work as hard. You might not fry the connector that all hard working fans on C6's tend to fry. My last C6 had a Dewitts radiator. It actually ran too cool in cooler weather with a 160* 'stat.

In hot assed Tx weather, you could leave it idling, sitting still, with the A/C blowing cold and the coolant temps wouldn't get much if anything over 200. That was with an air/water supercharger heat exchanger sitting in front of the radiator too. The C6's radiator is barely adequate when everything is perfect, you're moving, and it's not too hot outside.

Dewitts is good stuff.
Old 09-30-2023, 09:50 PM
cthusker
Le Mans Master

Received 91 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by old motorhead
If you put a better radiator in, your stock fan can move plenty of air and doesn't have to work as hard. You might not fry the connector that all hard working fans on C6's tend to fry. My last C6 had a Dewitts radiator. It actually ran too cool in cooler weather with a 160* 'stat.

In hot assed Tx weather, you could leave it idling, sitting still, with the A/C blowing cold and the coolant temps wouldn't get much if anything over 200. That was with an air/water supercharger heat exchanger sitting in front of the radiator too. The C6's radiator is barely adequate when everything is perfect, you're moving, and it's not too hot outside.

Dewitts is good stuff.
Completely agree on the DeWitts radiator. Have it in my little LS2 with a S/C and never see over 200 even on 90 plus days. Didn’t change the fans either..... The DeWitts holds an extra gallon of fluid which seems to make a huge difference with their radiator.
Old 10-01-2023, 05:12 PM
DrKrieger
Drifting

Received 834 Likes on 485 Posts
2023 C6 of the Year Finalist - Modified

I installed the ECP 2 row (1" tubes) as I have A to A intercooler and A&A S/C. Living in Metro Phoenix and it can get to 115-118 degrees at times in the summer and this combination works well. It can get to 230 degrees in heavy traffic, but not bad for a 115+ degree day. Also it's very well made, and about 60% the price of a Dewitts.

The following users liked this post:
tommyc6z06 (10-02-2023)

Get notified of new replies

To Question about upgrade fan for corvette Zo6

Quick Reply: Question about upgrade fan for corvette Zo6