C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is my Torque Tube going bad?

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2023, 11:54 AM
TastyWheat
Intermediate

Received 15 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Similar issue

My 12 GS 6at, 32k mi.
i bought the car and found the following concern.
ONLY WHEN COLD, when you put the car in gear, there's a rattle/knocking sound that is coming out of the front bellhousing/flexplate area. I've verified the source using a Stethoscope. No question about where the noise is coming from.
It's a very specific condition that can almost always be attributed to a cracked flexplate.
But a cracked flexplate wont be temp specific.

I pulled out the TT, and fine tooth combed everything from the engine back. I was a transmission rebuilder for 20 years, so I know what to look for. Everything looked fine.
I put a dial indicator on the input shaft and found .013" runout but apparently that's normal.
The shaft itself was perfectly straight, so its apparently the way that the bearing/shaft assy sit in the housing?
I should have changed out the flexplate/clamp but didn't since it looked so good. No visible wear on the splines, no loose rivets. I looked everything over for like days.
New bearings and new OEM couplings, reassembled everything and the noise was unchanged.
The noise disappears after the car warms up and there's zero vibration at any speed.
I believe it's a case of tolerance stacking.
I may pull out the TT again to replace the flexplate but I'll probably just live with it since it's causing no damage.
Apparently flexplate issues were common on the C7, but I couldn't find any information about this very specific noise on a C6.
Hope this info is helpful.
Old 09-29-2023, 08:45 PM
MARSC6
Le Mans Master

Received 47 Likes on 32 Posts

https://rpmtransmissions.com/product...-rebuild-kits/

Rebuilding the torque tube isn't all that difficult. Just very time consuming getting it in and out of the car. Cost should be almost all labor.
Old 09-30-2023, 01:21 AM
Cherokee Nation
Le Mans Master

Received 290 Likes on 271 Posts

The torque tube does not move,it can not not make a noise...it can only be the drive shift.
Old 09-30-2023, 06:49 AM
Not4spd
Melting Slicks

Received 631 Likes on 394 Posts

Originally Posted by Cherokee Nation
The torque tube does not move,it can not not make a noise...it can only be the drive shift.
It is not the drive shaft. What makes the noise are the bearings. The couplers then get cracked. Lyle did a great video on this several years ago explaining it.

The following users liked this post:
dr_gallup (09-30-2023)
Old 09-30-2023, 01:13 PM
Cherokee Nation
Le Mans Master

Received 290 Likes on 271 Posts

Those are on the drive shaft,,,,Right?
Old 09-30-2023, 08:04 PM
Ogre39
Instructor

Received 92 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by Cherokee Nation
Those are on the drive shaft,,,,Right?
^ Correct.

Like I posted above, there is nothing to rebuild on the TT. Shove a new driveshaft in and call it a day. The most labor intensive operation is dropping the cradle and removing the TT.

Quick Reply: Is my Torque Tube going bad?