C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Head Unit with WIRED CarPlay Inquiry

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2023, 05:07 PM
ip-do-tan
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Default Head Unit with WIRED CarPlay Inquiry

Howdy,

For those that have a WIRED aftermarket head unit with Apple CarPlay, where are you placing your iPhone. I was thinking about having the USB in the center console but I believe it going to get TOO HOT and shut down. My console is insulated but I don’t believe to the extent to avoid overheating of the phone.

Any suggestions?
Old 09-05-2023, 06:20 PM
sleepingcougar
Instructor

Received 36 Likes on 29 Posts

Amazon.com: Ciencimy Magnetic Car Mount Compatible with MagSafe Case and iPhone 13/14 Pro Max Mini/iPhone 12 Pro Max Mini, 360° Adjustable Strong Magnet Air Vent Phone Holder : Everything Else Amazon.com: Ciencimy Magnetic Car Mount Compatible with MagSafe Case and iPhone 13/14 Pro Max Mini/iPhone 12 Pro Max Mini, 360° Adjustable Strong Magnet Air Vent Phone Holder : Everything Else

I am using this one.

Last edited by sleepingcougar; 09-05-2023 at 07:49 PM.
Old 09-05-2023, 07:03 PM
kanvasman
Melting Slicks

Received 802 Likes on 550 Posts

Got a magnetic phone holder. The green X. This is set up on the side of the console. Then have a coiled power cord plugged into the cig lighter port. Metal pieces inside the phone case hold it in place, up away from my leg. I don't even notice that it is hthere. If I used the CarPlay all the time I probably would look at a wireless set up, but this works fine on trips. Bluetooth for everyday driving.

The following users liked this post:
ip-do-tan (09-05-2023)
Old 09-05-2023, 07:21 PM
cthusker
Le Mans Master

Received 91 Likes on 54 Posts

I have Apple Car Play on my Kenwood but also a USB connection for my iphone or ipod. To be honest the USB connection always sounds better to me (richer sound) and has better volume. I have a pretty decent setup with Kenwood, a 800 watt amp, crossover, all new high end speakersI and a custom 12” built subwoofer. So I bought a 256 gig ipod just for my vette. I connect the ipod in my console and have done it for the past 5 years. It’s never over heated and/or shut down. I did add power also inside the console for the ipod. I really like that my iphone is on my hip at all times and don’t have to think about it grabbing it when leaving the car. Just another way to play my 7000+ tunes and enjoy my music. Don’t know if my iphone would run hotter (probably) then the ipod.

Last edited by cthusker; 09-05-2023 at 09:09 PM.
ip-do-tan (09-05-2023)
Old 09-05-2023, 08:39 PM
ip-do-tan
Pro

Originally Posted by cthusker
I have Apple Car Play on my Kenwood but also a USB connection for my iphone or ipod. To be honest the USB connection always sounds better to me (richer sound) and has better volume. I have a pretty decent setup with Kenwood, a 800 watt amp, crossover, all new hight end speakersI and a custom 12” built subwoofer. So I bought a 256 gig ipod just for my vette. I connect the ipod in my console and have done it for the past 5 years. It’s never over heated and/or shut down. I did add power also inside the console for the ipod. I really like that my iphone is on my hip at all times and don’t have to think about it grabbing it when leaving the car. Just another way to play my 7000+ tunes and enjoy my music. Don’t know if my iphone would run hotter (probably) then the ipod.
This sounds the way to go - thanks 😬
Old 09-05-2023, 09:47 PM
JABCAT
Race Director

Received 8,874 Likes on 4,275 Posts
2020 C6 of the Year Winner - Modified

Pro-clip & I swapped out the lighter for a usb that runs directly to the rear of the head unit.

The following 2 users liked this post by JABCAT:
evoviiiyou (09-07-2023), ip-do-tan (09-05-2023)
Old 09-05-2023, 10:45 PM
Rebob0510
Racer

Received 179 Likes on 97 Posts

I just got 2 of the CarlinKit 3.0 wireless carplay adapters for my car and truck and they work great. Simply plug it into the USB on the radio, set it up and it automatically connects to carplay when you turn the car on. Every now then it will randomly disconnect but it always connects right back up quick

Amazon Amazon
Old 09-05-2023, 10:55 PM
hazy
Instructor

Received 64 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by JABCAT
Pro-clip & I swapped out the lighter for a usb that runs directly to the rear of the head unit.

any details on that USB install? If you have install pics or part info that'd be sweet
Old 09-06-2023, 06:19 AM
StayinStock
Safety Car

Received 3,357 Likes on 1,627 Posts
2024 Corvette of the Year Finalist - Modified
2023 C6 of the Year Winner - Modified
2022 C6 of the Year Finalist - Modified

plus one for proclip... best one ive found
evoviiiyou (09-07-2023)
Old 09-06-2023, 06:45 AM
JABCAT
Race Director

Originally Posted by hazy
any details on that USB install? If you have install pics or part info that'd be sweet
I removed the lighter outlet and installed a usb I purchased off Amazon. These are the only pics I could find.

hazy (09-06-2023)
Old 09-06-2023, 11:38 AM
ip-do-tan
Pro

I have Apple Car Play on my Kenwood but also a USB connection for my iphone or ipod. To be honest the USB connection always sounds better to me (richer sound) and has better volume. I have a pretty decent setup with Kenwood, a 800 watt amp, crossover, all new high end speakersI and a custom 12” built subwoofer. So I bought a 256 gig ipod just for my vette. I connect the ipod in my console and have done it for the past 5 years. It’s never over heated and/or shut down. I did add power also inside the console for the ipod. I really like that my iphone is on my hip at all times and don’t have to think about it grabbing it when leaving the car. Just another way to play my 7000+ tunes and enjoy my music. Don’t know if my iphone would run hotter (probably) then the ipod.
What model Kenwood & what model iPod?

Thanks…👍
Old 09-07-2023, 12:02 AM
madsonp
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,767 Likes on 1,173 Posts

I don't know if you know this or not, but you can buy a dongle to make your wired CarPlay wireless. Here's a thread I wrote up about this. https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...s-carplay.html
Old 09-07-2023, 01:07 AM
Iowa
Burning Brakes

Received 470 Likes on 263 Posts

Pro clip with a magnetic cable that pops right into place. I have wireless capabilities but wireless drains the phone battery very quickly
Old 09-07-2023, 04:47 AM
cthusker
Le Mans Master

Received 91 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by ip-do-tan
What model Kenwood & what model iPod?

Thanks…👍
Ipod touch 7th generation. I’ll have to check my Kenwood unit but since it’s older (had it 5 years) it wouldn’t be availalbe now anyway. I think all Kenwood or high end head units will have USB input for direct connection. It has USB plugs in the back of the headunit which I ran the cords into the console so nothing shows. It was my answer to having better sound quality and keeping my phone physically on me. When I have in or out calls the headunit mutes the music while using the phone hands free the same as Apple Play. BTW I checked again as I tried Apple Play cordless versus USB yesterday and FOR SURE the USB sounds better to me.
ip-do-tan (09-07-2023)
Old 09-07-2023, 06:39 AM
JABCAT
Race Director

Originally Posted by madsonp
I don't know if you know this or not, but you can buy a dongle to make your wired CarPlay wireless. Here's a thread I wrote up about this. https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...s-carplay.html
I've found that with the aftermarket head units (both Pioneer & Kenwood) in my vehicles, the wired connection has much better sound. Even in my BMWs with OEM head units, the phones are always plugged in and stored because I'm not doing anything on them while driving.
cthusker (09-07-2023)
Old 09-07-2023, 09:32 AM
madsonp
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,767 Likes on 1,173 Posts

Originally Posted by JABCAT
I've found that with the aftermarket head units (both Pioneer & Kenwood) in my vehicles, the wired connection has much better sound. Even in my BMWs with OEM head units, the phones are always plugged in and stored because I'm not doing anything on them while driving.
Well a good thing about the dongles is that they have a USB pass through so you can run them either wired, or wireless
The following 2 users liked this post by madsonp:
cthusker (09-07-2023), JABCAT (09-07-2023)
Old 09-07-2023, 04:10 PM
ip-do-tan
Pro

Ipod touch 7th generation. I’ll have to check my Kenwood unit but since it’s older (had it 5 years) it wouldn’t be availalbe now anyway. I think all Kenwood or high end head units will have USB input for direct connection. It has USB plugs in the back of the headunit which I ran the cords into the console so nothing shows. It was my answer to having better sound quality and keeping my phone physically on me. When I have in or out calls the headunit mutes the music while using the phone hands free the same as Apple Play. BTW I checked again as I tried Apple Play cordless versus USB yesterday and FOR SURE the USB sounds better to me.
Thanks much 👍

Get notified of new replies

To Head Unit with WIRED CarPlay Inquiry

Quick Reply: Head Unit with WIRED CarPlay Inquiry