C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Longtubes & MGW

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2023, 06:44 PM
meine96ws6
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Longtubes & MGW

I rarely drive the car, but I noticed on hot Florida days the MGW shaft (not the shift ****) gets scorching hot. Actually the entire tunnel has a ton of heat radiating from it.

Im not trying to insulate the entire area to help
Old 08-05-2023, 08:25 PM
Klawp
Drifting

Received 855 Likes on 476 Posts

Originally Posted by meine96ws6
I rarely drive the car, but I noticed on hot Florida days the MGW shaft (not the shift ****) gets scorching hot. Actually the entire tunnel has a ton of heat radiating from it.

Im not trying to insulate the entire area to help
Well, if you're not trying to insulate guess you'll have to deal with the heat
Old 08-06-2023, 01:23 AM
Dano523
Race Director

Received 3,031 Likes on 2,184 Posts

Ceramic coat the headers. It will reduce the heat off them, and reduce the heat in the TT area as well.

As for TT cover between the X pipe and void area above it, add insulation to just the cover, or replace the cover with one that is insulated and thicker, to stiffen up the chassis as well.
Old 08-06-2023, 11:08 AM
Spaceme1117
Safety Car

Received 1,321 Likes on 892 Posts

Insulated tunnel plate would help tremendously. Could also add more foam insulation to that area of the torque tube as well.

I don't think coated headers would help as the headers are not anywhere near the shifter. Now the cats are located near there but you do not want to ceramic coat the cats as this can burn them out.

Interior insulation kit could help some
Old 08-06-2023, 11:41 AM
cmonkey713
Race Director

Received 1,259 Likes on 920 Posts

Yes, ceramic coated headers will help but not much. There are a couple of common ways to address the heat issue. Replace the OEM tunnel plate with an Elite Abs of Steel insulated plate which will help quite a bit. the next is to pull the tunnel trim and carpet and install a heat shield material similar to Dynamat. If you really want to go all the way remove the interior and use the Dynamat on everything exposed. The Dynamat will also greatly help with the tire noise especially if you insulate the area behind the seats. There are several YouTube videos on how to do it.
Old 08-07-2023, 12:54 PM
Colonel
Drifting

Received 278 Likes on 187 Posts

I have the MGW shifter and Kooks 2" headers (not coated) making about 800whp in street mode. I drive it frequently in this southern sauna known as southeast Alabama. The only heat I've noticed is the center console. I dare not put my cell phone or Snickers bar in there!!! But the shifter?...seems normal.
Old 08-07-2023, 06:58 PM
Dano523
Race Director

Received 3,031 Likes on 2,184 Posts

Originally Posted by Spaceme1117
Insulated tunnel plate would help tremendously. Could also add more foam insulation to that area of the torque tube as well.

I don't think coated headers would help as the headers are not anywhere near the shifter. Now the cats are located near there but you do not want to ceramic coat the cats as this can burn them out.

Interior insulation kit could help some

Look where the cover starts, and where the cats will be after the collectors.

Insulated TT plate covers deals with the exhaust system from about the collectors back (including the cats) under the cover, while ceramic coated headers reduces the heat off the header, that will be forced down the void area of the TT instead.
As for full wrap in side the TT area, that will just reduce the amount of heat that is translated through the top of tunnel to cabin area, but since the shifter box and base of shifter shaft are still in the void, will still be be getting the same amount of heat that is driven through the TT void area (header heat is the highest thing that that the air is flowing past before it enters the TT void area. The rest is just the engine heat, which is about 200* at most.by the time that air gets to the headers to be heated up more.

Get notified of new replies

To Longtubes & MGW

Quick Reply: Longtubes & MGW