C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stuck shifter

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2023, 11:59 AM
nikemart
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Stuck shifter

I have read posts on here regarding the C6 automatic shifter getting stuck in PARK. I have a different problem: my shifter will shift into DRIVE and NEUTRAL, but then will NOT shift back into PARK, REVERSE or any other gear! Help! Has anyone one else had THIS problem? If so, can you give me some advice on how the remedy the problem? I am really getting tired of pushing the car when I need to go backwards! Without being able to shift into PARK, the ACCESSORY switch stays on and I have to disconnect the battery to keep from discharging it. Thanks!
Old 07-25-2023, 09:32 PM
Moman01
Instructor

Received 51 Likes on 43 Posts

Happened to me in my driveway and took off the plastic cover on shift **** and lubed and freed up the spring and plastic catch on shifter.
Old 07-25-2023, 09:34 PM
Dano523
Race Director

Received 3,028 Likes on 2,182 Posts

Need more information, but sounds like a problem with either shifter cable, or something got jammed up in the shifter assembly instead.

So on that one, would start from under the car to see if the shifter cable adjuster popped open to cause the binding problem. If no and that looks correct, then would be pulling the center console to pop up the shifter boot to check the other side of the cable to it, and the shifter assembly for something that is blocking the shifter back to reverse and park postions.

If you do a quick search on C6 auto shifter cable repair.(grommet replacement), should walk you through both what to look for, and how to pull the center console as well.

Get notified of new replies

To Stuck shifter

Quick Reply: Stuck shifter