C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Harmonic Balancer Issues

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2023, 03:09 PM
ccrvtt
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Default Harmonic Balancer Issues

I took my 2007 in to have the harmonic balancer replaced along with the belts. It cost a bundle since the steering rack is in the way. At any rate, when I got the car back and drove it for a week I started to get a lot of squeal from the belts on startup. I took the car back to the shop and they told me it was the alternator and idler pulleys so they replaced those. As soon as I started the car the squealing was still there. I was a bit upset, to put it mildly and they immediately refunded my money ($671) and put my old parts back on. I lived with the noise until I decided to poke around a bit and I discovered that the harmonic balancer bolt was LOOSE. These are supposed to be TTY bolts so obviously no one had tightened it down. The car has been driven about 500 miles with this condition.

My questions: Has this oversight likely caused damage to the crank bearings? Would this loose pulley cause damage to the serpentine belt such that it would start to squeal?

Needless to say I am livid with anger over what they did to my baby. I'm not above demanding they put in a new replacement engine though I seriously doubt that's going to happen. I don't trust them to fix what's wrong and will need to have the entire procedure done again to be able to torque down the bolt.
Old 06-28-2023, 03:15 PM
Klawp
Drifting

Received 855 Likes on 476 Posts

Old 06-28-2023, 03:29 PM
blownbayou
Pro

Received 384 Likes on 239 Posts
2022 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

Hate to see it.... I thank my stars that Futral Motorsports is about a 30 minute drive for me.
Old 06-28-2023, 04:01 PM
torquetube
Le Mans Master

Received 655 Likes on 474 Posts

Originally Posted by ccrvtt
I took my 2007 in to have the harmonic balancer replaced along with the belts. It cost a bundle since the steering rack is in the way. At any rate, when I got the car back and drove it for a week I started to get a lot of squeal from the belts on startup. I took the car back to the shop and they told me it was the alternator and idler pulleys so they replaced those. As soon as I started the car the squealing was still there. I was a bit upset, to put it mildly and they immediately refunded my money ($671) and put my old parts back on. I lived with the noise until I decided to poke around a bit and I discovered that the harmonic balancer bolt was LOOSE. These are supposed to be TTY bolts so obviously no one had tightened it down. The car has been driven about 500 miles with this condition.

My questions: Has this oversight likely caused damage to the crank bearings? Would this loose pulley cause damage to the serpentine belt such that it would start to squeal?

Needless to say I am livid with anger over what they did to my baby. I'm not above demanding they put in a new replacement engine though I seriously doubt that's going to happen. I don't trust them to fix what's wrong and will need to have the entire procedure done again to be able to torque down the bolt.
Did they use a diamond washer? There's no way to check without removing the pulley, so you'd have to take their word for it. If they did, I would be inclined to drop the subframe a few inches, replace the crank bolt and tighten it to spec. See if that fixes it. Paint witness marks on the bolt and pulley.
Old 06-28-2023, 06:58 PM
FatsWaller
Safety Car

Received 1,800 Likes on 1,153 Posts

There is a TSB about the bolt coming loose and the HB spinning on the crank snout. I don’t want to attach it because GMs electronic system might have a more recent and less work intensive version. But what the TSB does say to check is if the crank snout got galled, or metal from the HB got deposited in the snout. Sounds like the HB shouldn’t get reused in any case and the TSB did state that if there was enough damage to the snout then the crank would need to be replaced. There was no mention of any bearing damage and I don’t see why that would happen.

Installing the HB is a two step process. You use the old bolt and torque it to a specific value. Then you use the new bolt and complete the torquing by one of two methods depending on whether or not it’s an ARP bolt. If course there’s a lot of other work and steps involved. There’s a few write ups on the forum that pretty much follow the TSB.

You’re not the first to have the bolt back out and the balancer spin on the snout. But the problem is whether or not you’d trust the shop to make things right because sounds like you don’t. Did you talk to them? Can you get your money back?
Old 06-28-2023, 09:48 PM
ccrvtt
Instructor

The car is being flat bedded to the shop tomorrow morning. Will update the thread after talking to the owner. Not looking forward to this.
Old 06-28-2023, 10:07 PM
DrKrieger
Drifting

Received 838 Likes on 488 Posts
2023 C6 of the Year Finalist - Modified

I had to pin the crank on my car with the install of the A & A S/C.......torques to spec myself, so I KNOW it's torques properly. I would go right back to the installer and tell them they need to redo the job that THEY didn't do properly IF you are so inclined to do, or get your money back and take it somewhere els with a good recommendation. There is absolutely no excuse for what they didn't do properly with torquing the bolt properly. Good luck!!
Old 06-28-2023, 10:16 PM
ccrvtt
Instructor

Thanks for the moral support. That's my plan.
Old 06-28-2023, 10:43 PM
Spaceme1117
Safety Car

Received 1,321 Likes on 892 Posts

Why bother going back to the same shop that did **** work on your car? They will likely just mess up more stuff or jerk you around.

Take your car somewhere else.

Or do the job yourself. It really is not difficult, just a bit of work. All the info you need is here in the forums and plenty of people here who can help.
Old 06-29-2023, 05:11 AM
C6SEUSA
Racer

Received 34 Likes on 22 Posts

ccrvtt, what part of the country are you in? Oddly enough, I just found out that my 2005 C6 harmonic balancer needs to be replaced. It apparently slipped forward causing my AC belt to come off. It is in a shop in SW Florida now getting the work done.

Here is a link where they talk about the C6 Harmonic Balancer:

https://legendaryfl.com/blog/corvett...r-common-issue
Old 06-29-2023, 06:27 AM
FatsWaller
Safety Car

Received 1,800 Likes on 1,153 Posts

Originally Posted by C6SEUSA
ccrvtt, what part of the country are you in? Oddly enough, I just found out that my 2005 C6 harmonic balancer needs to be replaced. It apparently slipped forward causing my AC belt to come off. It is in a shop in SW Florida now getting the work done.

Here is a link where they talk about the C6 Harmonic Balancer:

https://legendaryfl.com/blog/corvett...r-common-issue
Two completely different problems. ccrvtt's balancer is loose on the crankshaft because it was installed incorrectly. In your case it looks like the outer half of the balancer has separated and walked forward because the rubber insulator failed. Presumably, the inner half of your balancer is still tightly secured to the crankshaft, so there's no danger the snout is damaged. It's true your balancer needs to be replaced and according to the TSB, so should ccrvtt's.
Old 06-29-2023, 07:33 AM
C6SEUSA
Racer

Originally Posted by FatsWaller
Two completely different problems. ccrvtt's balancer is loose on the crankshaft because it was installed incorrectly. In your case it looks like the outer half of the balancer has separated and walked forward because the rubber insulator failed. Presumably, the inner half of your balancer is still tightly secured to the crankshaft, so there's no danger the snout is damaged. It's true your balancer needs to be replaced and according to the TSB, so should ccrvtt's.
Haha, yes two different issues but the point of my post was:

1. Asking what part of the country the person is in, because of the shop whose link I posted that knows the "right" way to do this repair

2. To add relevant information to the discussion

Right now I am awaiting the shops report as to how extensive a repair is needed. The issue began on Sunday (6/25) when suddenly my AC started blowing how. I posted this in a separate discussion in this forum and, based on suggestions, checked and found the AC belt was off. Further visual inspection and saw it looked like the balancer had moved forward. There was a lot of noise when driving, especially when braking, so I took it to the shop whose link I posted.
https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...owing-hot.html

I hope ccrvtt gets the correct repair and his money refunded for the shoddy work.

Old 06-30-2023, 02:25 PM
ccrvtt
Instructor

Update on Friday: Took the car back to the shop on a roll back (that's a painful sight, believe me) and expressed my concern to the owner. To his credit he was very patient and understanding. They have had the car for a day and a half now and have not updated me on the progress. I know that they'll have to disassemble everything to fix it. If the part is defective they can take it back to wherever they bought it and file a labor claim. The success of that is going to depend on how good their relationship is with the parts supplier.

At this point I'm beginning to question my unhealthy emotional attachment to a car. But then I remind myself, "It's a Corvette, this is perfectly normal."
The following 2 users liked this post by ccrvtt:
NORACNG (06-30-2023), Prb1948 (10-23-2023)
Old 06-30-2023, 03:07 PM
rbwinston
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 252 Likes on 180 Posts

OP you don't say what brand of balancer you bought or if you had an ARP bolt installed. I wouldn't trust any balancer (particularly an OEM) other than an ATI or a PowerBond. The ARP bolt is essential, again never re-use the original or even a new GM bolt. Proper torque specs is extremely important. All this being done properly you shouldn't have any issues. Best of luck.
Old 06-30-2023, 03:42 PM
torquetube
Le Mans Master

Received 655 Likes on 474 Posts

Originally Posted by rbwinston
The ARP bolt is essential, again never re-use the original or even a new GM bolt.
I don't agree that there's anything wrong with a new GM bolt.
The following 2 users liked this post by torquetube:
Bill 70Coupe (08-20-2023), Dave Carney (07-17-2023)
Old 07-01-2023, 07:07 AM
Spaceme1117
Safety Car

Received 1,321 Likes on 892 Posts

Originally Posted by ccrvtt
Update on Friday: Took the car back to the shop on a roll back (that's a painful sight, believe me) and expressed my concern to the owner. To his credit he was very patient and understanding. They have had the car for a day and a half now and have not updated me on the progress. I know that they'll have to disassemble everything to fix it. If the part is defective they can take it back to wherever they bought it and file a labor claim. The success of that is going to depend on how good their relationship is with the parts supplier.

At this point I'm beginning to question my unhealthy emotional attachment to a car. But then I remind myself, "It's a Corvette, this is perfectly normal."
Unhealthy emotional attachment to physical things eh? Why should caring about something be bad? People are just things as well. And I guarantee that your Corvette will be far more reliable than most people.

Anyway, I hope the show does right.
The following users liked this post:
LCZ06 (08-17-2023)
Old 07-01-2023, 03:04 PM
ccrvtt
Instructor

Got the car back yesterday. No squealing belts yet. Having run the gamut of emotions regarding the car, the shop, feelings for my wife, kids and grandson I'm a bit spent. 'Papas blue car' is resting serenely in the garage right now. It's going to get treated to some cleaning and a coat of Meguiar's Ultimate over the 4th of July weekend.

Being in the parts business I've come in contact with a lot of shops and I understand things can go wrong. The vast majority of shops don't want to screw up and have comebacks. Reputation is everything in small businesses. I'm not the kind to write scathing reviews for Yelp and I won't do it in this case. I once heard an industry executive say that we take the brightest kids and send them to college to be doctors then those of us left over go into other fields like retail and auto mechanics. After over 70 years in this vale of toil and sin I've come to understand that more than a few doctors make bad diagnoses as do some technicians. But anyone who's really good at what they do will have a job forever.

Get notified of new replies

To Harmonic Balancer Issues

Old 07-01-2023, 03:42 PM
Mike98SilVert
Team Owner

Received 3,074 Likes on 2,045 Posts

Sounds like the crank bolt wasn't torqued to spec. Hopefully two's a charm.
Was an OEM balancer and bolt installed or did you go with an ATI, Summit or Powerbond Balancer and an ARP bolt? Either way hope it was done properly.
We're all attached to our Corvettes.
Old 07-01-2023, 06:51 PM
cthusker
Le Mans Master

Received 91 Likes on 54 Posts

The shop that installed my Edlebrock E-Force also pinned the crank. Looking back I’m glad they did but perhaps that’s standard when installing SC.
Old 07-01-2023, 07:20 PM
C6SEUSA
Racer

My 2005 C6 is still in the shop waiting for the Harmonic Balancer to be replaced. It slipped forward causing my AC belt to come off and the serpentine belt to shift.

The shop is planning to use a Dorman harmonic balancer for the repair. Does anyone know if that is a good choice? The work is supposed to start on Monday, 7/3.

Quick Reply: Harmonic Balancer Issues