C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

DIC Message . . . NO FOB - OFF OR RUN?

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2023, 12:23 AM
Hornblower
Navigator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default DIC Message . . . NO FOB - OFF OR RUN?

For the past few weeks I periodically have been getting the following message on my C6 DIC: "NO FOB - OFF OR RUN?" It does not happen all of the time, just periodically and just after I shut the engine off. When it happens, the engine stops and after a second or two the message appears. I press the "Off" button and it goes to Accessory. I press it again and everything shuts off. I have replaced the battery in my fob, but still periodically get the message. So far, I have not had a problem starting the car or shutting the engine off. Has anyone else encountered this problem?
The following users liked this post:
hippiefreak67 (06-26-2023)
Old 06-18-2023, 12:44 AM
FatsWaller
Safety Car

Received 1,792 Likes on 1,151 Posts

I've had the message a couple of times. When you shut the car off, it checks for a known fob to be present in the cabin. If something interferes with the car being able to communicate with the fob then, you'll get that message. Does it happen wherever you shut the car off, or in a specific place? Have you added electronics of any sort to the car, including LEDs, chargers, head unit and so on? Changed cell phones? Do you keep the fob in the same pocket as a cell phone, or vary where you have the fob when this happens? Carry the fob in a pocket with a fob from some other car?
Old 06-18-2023, 10:10 PM
Hornblower
Navigator

Originally Posted by FatsWaller
I've had the message a couple of times. When you shut the car off, it checks for a known fob to be present in the cabin. If something interferes with the car being able to communicate with the fob then, you'll get that message. Does it happen wherever you shut the car off, or in a specific place? Have you added electronics of any sort to the car, including LEDs, chargers, head unit and so on? Changed cell phones? Do you keep the fob in the same pocket as a cell phone, or vary where you have the fob when this happens? Carry the fob in a pocket with a fob from some other car?
Those are all good questions. Thanks for the insight. I have not noted a pattern, it just happens every once and a while. This AM I went to church, shut the car off and it happened. When I got home and pulled into the garage, all was normal. I did add a backup camera and new multimedia Kenwood head unit about a month ago, though. I wonder if that is the cause?? I was also wondering if the "Start / Stop / Acc" button was starting to go bad?
Old 06-18-2023, 10:20 PM
Vette_DD
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,276 Likes on 935 Posts
St. Jude Donor '21-'22-'23-'24

Try just keeping the fob in a pants pocket by itself.
Old 06-18-2023, 11:29 PM
FatsWaller
Safety Car

Unlikely it's the start button. Might be the head unit. Was it on when you got the message? Has if ever happened with it turned off?
Old 06-19-2023, 10:46 AM
cgladish
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 446 Likes on 336 Posts

it seems that the only times I would get that message, is when i had the fob in my pocket (when I was in the car). the other thing I noticed too, was when I would try to unlock the door, if I held the fob too close to the door, it never seemed to work.
if I/m opening the door with my right hand, just keeping the fob in my left hand seemed to work. maybe it was just a quirk of my car.
Old 06-19-2023, 09:59 PM
Hornblower
Navigator

Originally Posted by FatsWaller
Unlikely it's the start button. Might be the head unit. Was it on when you got the message? Has if ever happened with it turned off?
I took your advice and started turning the head unit off before turning the car off. I am now three for three with the DIC not giving the "NO FOB..." message. Keeping my fingers crossed hoping the "fix" was that simple. Thanks to all that responded.
Old 06-25-2023, 08:33 PM
Vins
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I to have had this problem as well. It happened today in fact. I did add LED interior bulbs years ago. I changed the battery on multiple occasions. The hatch button by the license plate doesn’t work but the release button on the FOB does. I ordered a new FOB case. The original one is kind of beaten up. I have the stock head unit. Otherwise the car is basically stock. Any recommendations are appreciated
hippiefreak67 (06-26-2023)
Old 06-25-2023, 10:58 PM
Hornblower
Navigator

Originally Posted by Vins
I to have had this problem as well. It happened today in fact. I did add LED interior bulbs years ago. I changed the battery on multiple occasions. The hatch button by the license plate doesn’t work but the release button on the FOB does. I ordered a new FOB case. The original one is kind of beaten up. I have the stock head unit. Otherwise the car is basically stock. Any recommendations are appreciated
Sorry to hear you are having problems. I wish I were more versed in the electronics relating to the C6, but I'm not. All I know is; between the automatic shifter, the original stereo head unit and Sirius antennas that are located in the outside mirrors, I did not have an "easy" swap out of my original head unit. Things have settled down for me now. So much so, that I'm not inclined to dig any further for complete solutions to the few minor problem areas that remain. Perhaps there are other members of the group that are a lot better qualified to help you with your problem. Best of luck to you.
Old 06-26-2023, 03:50 PM
Vins
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Today, I was able to diagnose the problem with the key fob issues I was experiencing. The rear view mirror has two map lights located on the bottom of it. When you open the doors, obviously, those lights come on. It was when I closed the door that I noticed one of the LED bulbs was flickering. I took the map light cover off and pulled the LED bulb out. Just like that, the FOB Y / N message on the DIC was gone. Apparently, possibly, maybe this was the issue. I’ll find out once Amazon delivers the new LED bulbs.
Old 06-26-2023, 05:21 PM
hippiefreak67
Racer

Received 76 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by Hornblower
For the past few weeks I periodically have been getting the following message on my C6 DIC: "NO FOB - OFF OR RUN?" It does not happen all of the time, just periodically and just after I shut the engine off. When it happens, the engine stops and after a second or two the message appears. I press the "Off" button and it goes to Accessory. I press it again and everything shuts off. I have replaced the battery in my fob, but still periodically get the message. So far, I have not had a problem starting the car or shutting the engine off. Has anyone else encountered this problem?
I have been having the same issue for the past couple months, when I occasionally drive my 2008 Z06.
Nothing new in/on the car (lights/radio/cameras etc)
Switched to my spare FOB - did the same thing.
Replaced FOB batteries - did the same thing.
Very random places when it decides to do this, and I am worried that one of these times, I am going to be left stranded somewhere and need a tow.

Described the situation to a Service GM Advisor, who is also a member in the same Corvette Club I am in.
He said it could possibly be the WIN Module or PCM going out, and the only way to tell is to bring it in for a diagnosis, IF IF IF the problem recreates itself while it is there.
This is why I hate electronics in modern cars...
Old 06-26-2023, 05:37 PM
hippiefreak67
Racer

Received 76 Likes on 40 Posts

JUST DUG THIS UP:
2005 - 2013 Corvette: GM TechLink Article: No Fob Detected Message (corvetteactioncenter.com)
Old 06-26-2023, 11:25 PM
Hornblower
Navigator

Great information. Thanks. It will help to have this, in case I have to bring it into the dealer. In the mean time, I'll just make sure my radio is off, prior to shutting the engine off. So far that seems to have solved my problem.
hippiefreak67 (06-27-2023)
Old 06-27-2023, 12:10 AM
FatsWaller
Safety Car

Great information. Thanks. It will help to have this, in case I have to bring it into the dealer. In the mean time, I'll just make sure my radio is off, prior to shutting the engine off. So far that seems to have solved my problem.
If it's just occasional EMI from your radio, it's not damaging anything, or affecting any operation of the car. It's not like you can't start the car or open doors, so at worst, it's just a minor annoyance. I'd just leave the radio on if that suits your purpose and ignore it if it happens.
Old 06-27-2023, 12:29 PM
Joe 2008 Z51
Instructor

Received 51 Likes on 33 Posts

I've had that same message on my DIC whenever I had a phone charger plugged into the 12V receptacle in the console and turned the car off with the charger connected to my phone. As soon as I unplugged the charger and turned off the car it went away. Now I just make sure to unplug the the charger before shutting off the car and never get the message. Apparently the voltage draw on the accessory section creates some type of interference with the fob detection, but only on shutting the car down. That 12V receptacle is only powered with the car on or in accessory mode. Sounds like the OP figured out that his head unit has retained power when turning off the car, which then creates the interference and the message.
Old 06-27-2023, 12:32 PM
FatsWaller
Safety Car

Both the console port and cig lighter port are supposed to be hot all the time. Mine is, and accordingly to the wiring diagram that’s the way it works.

Last edited by FatsWaller; 06-27-2023 at 12:36 PM. Reason: Add diagram

Get notified of new replies

To DIC Message . . . NO FOB - OFF OR RUN?

Quick Reply: DIC Message . . . NO FOB - OFF OR RUN?