C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Would hail cause this?

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2023, 07:42 PM
Reguile
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Would hail cause this?

Had golfball+ sized hail come in. Busted my windshield and still fighting that one with the auto glass company.

At first, these werent that apparent but I noticed it after the hail storm. The adjuster here in town says its not from hail but to contest it with my insurance company so they can send a "specialized" adjuster out. The cracks seem to be getting easier to see after some time. Sorry for the subpar pictures, I had issues adjusting the focus.

Old 06-07-2023, 09:11 PM
sramzzz
Drifting

Received 974 Likes on 626 Posts

If that was not in the paint prior to the hailstorm then the damage is a result of the hail. I would fight them on that.
Old 06-07-2023, 09:22 PM
airbrush1
Burning Brakes

Received 64 Likes on 40 Posts

It 100% could cause that damage
Old 06-07-2023, 10:10 PM
VetteVinnie
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,716 Likes on 1,091 Posts

Yes, it absolutely can. Several years ago (probably close to 25 years now) I was managing a service department for a computer rental company based out of Austin, and Farmers was one of our customers. One year, I set up a "Catastrophe Center" for them in Dallas (servers and clients) during the aftermath of a major storm. I had never seen such damage to vehicles before. They all looked like they were beaten with baseball bats (huge dents, smashed windshields, etc.).
Old 06-07-2023, 10:23 PM
JackDidley
Race Director

Received 232 Likes on 164 Posts

Yes. We had a similar storm . A couple weeks later the paint on my Vette started to haze. I was lucky, I buffed it out bet yours looks deeper. I may even get worse over time.
Old 06-08-2023, 09:06 AM
dr_gallup
Melting Slicks

Received 906 Likes on 590 Posts

We had a hail storm with golf ball size hail. Beat the **** out of my truck and my house roof but the Vette was unfazed. But I'd bet most of those are hail damage. Looks like the FRP is crushed. Not sure about the first one as it looks more like a scratch to me.
Old 06-08-2023, 11:06 AM
jrose7004
Team Owner

Received 1,680 Likes on 1,302 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

It looks like hail damage to me.
Old 06-08-2023, 12:58 PM
Reguile
Intermediate

I'm getting another adjuster out here. Its weird having this much issue with USAA, hopefully they'll admit it being hail damage.
Old 06-08-2023, 01:38 PM
TripleB5832
Burning Brakes

Received 400 Likes on 235 Posts

Originally Posted by Reguile
I'm getting another adjuster out here. Its weird having this much issue with USAA, hopefully they'll admit it being hail damage.

I have been insured with USAA for 30+ years. They are much worse to deal with on claims now than back then, at least in my experience. In that time, I've maybe had 3 claims, and with all three they were a major hassle to deal with (those were over a 10 or 12 year period of time, and that was about a decade ago). I actually got so sideways with them recently that I moved all my auto policies (for my daily drivers, me, my wife and 3 kids cars) and my homeowner's to another carrier. I only kept a small special contents policy with USAA simply to remain with them should I ever decide to give them a second chance down the road. Their **** poor customer service cost them quite a bit, at least in my opinion, losing my premiums. And on top of that, I even saved some money on the cost by moving it.

Good luck...I hope they do the right think and take care of your claim to you can fix your Vette.
Old 06-08-2023, 01:54 PM
acroy
Le Mans Master

Received 1,433 Likes on 860 Posts

Yes 100% that was hail damage.
USAA sucks.
Old 06-08-2023, 02:51 PM
Reguile
Intermediate

Originally Posted by TripleB5832
I have been insured with USAA for 30+ years. They are much worse to deal with on claims now than back then, at least in my experience. In that time, I've maybe had 3 claims, and with all three they were a major hassle to deal with (those were over a 10 or 12 year period of time, and that was about a decade ago). I actually got so sideways with them recently that I moved all my auto policies (for my daily drivers, me, my wife and 3 kids cars) and my homeowner's to another carrier. I only kept a small special contents policy with USAA simply to remain with them should I ever decide to give them a second chance down the road. Their **** poor customer service cost them quite a bit, at least in my opinion, losing my premiums. And on top of that, I even saved some money on the cost by moving it.

Good luck...I hope they do the right think and take care of your claim to you can fix your Vette.
Its crazy. The other day, the rep was SO GOOD to me. Nice, helpful, seeing options I can do since the glass place put junk windshield (xyg) and then it leaked and the owner talked to me stupid. (Its a 15yr old car, its gonna leak, these cars are not all that and a bag of chips i drive this 100k car, go complain to your insurance company, i honestly dont care, i didnt lose any sleep on this, etc) She went off about them saying they cant treat me like that, saying shes sorry and she's gonna go talk/write a record for others to review/have words with them. Now the owner is super nice to me. I could tell he tried to ignore me at first when I approached him..

The same USAA rep now sounded annoyed and less helpful. Tone completely changed. I didnt know my pin and been using a password over the phone. She told me she couldnt do anything now without my pin. Gave me an attitude when I asked about the password. Call I had with her just now, she states that the people who did my inspection wrote the body already had previous damage, scratches, etc. The people who inspected my car didnt even see the cracks. Then said it didnt look like hail damage when I showed them.

I just want to get this fixed, isnt that what insurance is supposed to be for?
Old 06-08-2023, 03:03 PM
VetteVinnie
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,716 Likes on 1,091 Posts

Originally Posted by Reguile

I just want to get this fixed, isnt that what insurance is supposed to be for?
They're a business. They don't make money by shelling out money, so they'll do whatever they can to keep from unnecessary expenses. At least that's been my experience.

Now a collision is more difficult to walk away from, but, even as a previous poster mentioned, at least one of those looks like a simple scratch. There is clearly impact damage to other areas, though.
Old 06-08-2023, 03:03 PM
DaveInColumbus
Instructor

Received 47 Likes on 26 Posts

I don't mean to sound flippant, but does the adjuster realize that this paint is on top of sheet molding compound? I think it's clear what's happened. The impact of the hail has temporarily deformed the SMC underneath the paint, or cracked the SMC. The result is cracks in the paint.

Hail dents steel panels because the metal permanently deforms. SMC doesn't doesn't do that; it cracks.
The following 2 users liked this post by DaveInColumbus:
NORACNG (06-08-2023), VetteVinnie (06-08-2023)

Get notified of new replies

To Would hail cause this?

Quick Reply: Would hail cause this?