C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LED Back up Lights

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2023, 06:15 PM
Budarooski
Burning Brakes

Received 699 Likes on 313 Posts

Originally Posted by Sdk8103
Amazon bulbs have been in mine for about 2 years and no issues, and they were considerably cheaper than any specialty bulb store.
Same here...didn't even jack up the car...just reach under the bumper. The wire is too short to pull them out far enough to see, so you'll have to do it by feel (but it's easy). They only work one way, so if you put them in and they don't light up, pull them out and flip 180°.
The following users liked this post:
LCZ06 (05-02-2023)
Old 05-02-2023, 08:09 PM
87SAM
Safety Car

Received 437 Likes on 250 Posts

Originally Posted by Budarooski
They only work one way, so if you put them in and they don't light up, pull them out and flip 180°.
It appears to me that that it does not matter which way the install. Each side is a mirror of the other.
Old 05-02-2023, 08:45 PM
Budarooski
Burning Brakes

Received 699 Likes on 313 Posts

Originally Posted by 87SAM
It appears to me that that it does not matter which way the install. Each side is a mirror of the other.
Mine didn't work on first install, flipped them 180 and they worked. Same thing happened on one of the front lights.
Old 05-02-2023, 08:52 PM
gpruitt54
Burning Brakes

Received 182 Likes on 126 Posts

I was under the impression that most LEDs are polarity dependent.
dr_gallup (05-03-2023)
Old 05-02-2023, 09:10 PM
wjnjr
Melting Slicks

Received 914 Likes on 576 Posts
2023 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2022 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

These pictures show the improved lighting performance you can get with LEDs.

Sharp Lights new 3157 LED on the driver's side, regular incandescent bulb on pass side. Keep in mind this picture was taken in daylight.

The difference is dramatic at night.

Just for fun I tested the new Sharp Lights LEDs against the previous brightest available LEDs I had been using. Sure enough, the Sharp Lights LEDs on the driver's side were brighter, and more importantly, put out more useable light as shown below.

Sharp Lights new 3157 LED bulb on the left, Former brightest available 3157 LED from brand X on the right.

Last edited by wjnjr; 05-03-2023 at 11:46 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by wjnjr:
bobeyoung (05-03-2023), Mclaren4 (05-03-2023)
Old 05-02-2023, 09:11 PM
sramzzz
Drifting

Received 974 Likes on 626 Posts

Originally Posted by gpruitt54
Some are and some are not. Usually states that on the packaging.
gpruitt54 (05-02-2023)
Old 05-02-2023, 09:24 PM
gpruitt54
Burning Brakes

Received 182 Likes on 126 Posts

Is there a listing identifying the various LED bulb ID numbers on the C6?
Old 05-02-2023, 09:29 PM
87SAM
Safety Car

Received 437 Likes on 250 Posts

Polarity works out either way, one way the same as the other way.

Old 05-03-2023, 11:38 AM
wjnjr
Melting Slicks

Is there a listing identifying the various LED bulb ID numbers on the C6?
You can find the part no.s of bulbs used on most cars here: https://www.sylvania-automotive.com/
Old 05-03-2023, 01:18 PM
Mclaren4
Advanced

Received 56 Likes on 28 Posts

wjnjr - nice post! Always great to see some "photographic evidence" of our opinions. I've always thought the back up lamps were the best canidate for LED's.
However, I have read other posts that bring up concerns with the LED replacement bulbs.

Such as:
Radio interference when the backup lamps are energized (admittedly, a minor problem given the length of time your in reverse)
LED lamps not completely de-energizing (still glowing slightly when "off") and possibly leading to increased parasitic battery drain - this appears to affect interior LED applications most often
Interference with key fobs and TPMS

I would like to hear your experience (as well as others) regarding these concerns. Particularly with the back up lamp application.
And to confirm, I'm not on a witch hunt with LED's - it's hard to argue with their light output, current draw, cool factor, etc.
Just don't want to add on technical glitches when the goal was improvement, if indeed these experiences are common.
Old 05-03-2023, 02:53 PM
sramzzz
Drifting

Received 974 Likes on 626 Posts

Originally Posted by Mclaren4
I would like to hear your experience (as well as others) regarding these concerns. Particularly with the back up lamp application.
And to confirm, I'm not on a witch hunt with LED's - it's hard to argue with their light output, current draw, cool factor, etc.
Just don't want to add on technical glitches when the goal was improvement, if indeed these experiences are common.
I know that some people have had issues with interference and fobs not working but I have experienced none with the bulbs I have used. Just to break it down I used Auxito for all interior lights, underhood, trunk, side markers, license plate, and reverse lights. I used Underground lighting for the tails and DRLs. I used Vettlights for the fog; I also used Vette lights for the Low HID and converted the high to HID.
Old 05-03-2023, 05:07 PM
wjnjr
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Mclaren4
wjnjr - nice post! Always great to see some "photographic evidence" of our opinions. I've always thought the back up lamps were the best canidate for LED's.
However, I have read other posts that bring up concerns with the LED replacement bulbs.

Such as:
Radio interference when the backup lamps are energized (admittedly, a minor problem given the length of time your in reverse)
LED lamps not completely de-energizing (still glowing slightly when "off") and possibly leading to increased parasitic battery drain - this appears to affect interior LED applications most often
Interference with key fobs and TPMS

Some good questions. In my personal experience I did have some problems with RF interference way back in the early days of LEDs - 2009. Static on the radio from my first backup lights. Others reported problems with interior lights, but I never saw that. Since then, I've been through lots of LEDs, some better than others.

For the last several years, my car has had 100% LED lighting inside and out with no problems at all. No static on the radio, no battery drain, my cell phone works OK, and the fobs work as they should. This is with modern high-quality LEDs, not cheapos from eBay, Amazon, AliExpress, or wherever. All LEDs are not the same. Brightness, color, longevity, interference or lack of it can vary widely. And as you would expect, the price increases as the quality improves.

That's been my experience, others will have more to add.

Old 05-08-2023, 10:00 PM
Jim2003
Safety Car

Received 53 Likes on 39 Posts

I bought the ones on Amazon. I backed the car up on my wood ramps. I could reach in and release the socket, one handed. It took some tome to get the original bulb out of the socket. My hand strength is not what it used to be. Put socket in turned on car and wow a bright light. The passenger side was easier for some reason. Thanks to all you who gave suggestions!!
Old 05-09-2023, 07:13 AM
sirdano
Drifting

Received 148 Likes on 132 Posts

same bulb but way cheaper
Amazon Amazon
Old 05-09-2023, 11:57 AM
wjnjr
Melting Slicks