C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Starting Issues

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2023, 05:06 PM
DEFCON5
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 190 Likes on 93 Posts
Default Starting Issues

I think I may need a starter. I bough this car about a year ago and shortly after it had an issue where when hitting the starter, I would get a metallic click, the dash would go dark then reset. After determining the electronics and voltage appeared to be normal, we push started the car with no problems. I drove it to a dealer that I had used previously to fix the gas smell. When I got there, I restarted the car several times with no issues.. It was Sunday so I just filled out the details and left the key in the drop box. When they got it in, they could find no problems and it started every time. They didn't charge me for the time, which was nice. Now a year later it has recurred. I checked the battery voltage at 7.64. No good. The battery was 1.5 year old Champion. I replaced it with an Interstate and the car started right up until it didn't. I'm thinking starter. Battery voltage remains over12 amps so I don't think that's the problem. I know these cars are hard on starters because of the heat. I went ahead and ordered a new Delco. It also overheated while idling while resetting the head unit, which never has happened. I added a video which may or may not open. Any thoughts?
Attached Files
File Type: html
Corvette Start.html (33.4 KB, 66 views)
Old 02-23-2023, 06:23 PM
Clayton Parkison
6th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I’ve gone through 2 starters the past 4 years. If the negative terminal on the starter wiggles at all when you take the wires off it’s most likely bad. Both my bad starters had that problem. As for overheating, check your fans make sure they are running. If not you could have burned up the fan controller wire which is an easy fix.
The following users liked this post:
DEFCON5 (02-23-2023)
Old 02-23-2023, 09:34 PM
DEFCON5
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Thanks. I'm pretty sure about the starter. At least now it's doing the same thing every time. Pretty hard to fix a problem that disappears on it's own. I was going to check the fans but since I haven't been able to restart the car I'll have to wait. It never overheated while driving so I'll have to wait.

Old 03-02-2023, 11:09 AM
BigBilll
Racer

Received 110 Likes on 75 Posts

Starters get baked on C6 corvettes! But check all grounds, they can get loosened, slightly corroded , and will give you all sorts of strange problems. Make sure that battery is 100%!! This is critical on the C6 !
Old 03-03-2023, 11:51 AM
DEFCON5
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

I had a buddy with a lift and we put a new starter on in less than an hour. All good now.
The following users liked this post:
Landru (03-07-2023)
Old 03-05-2023, 09:54 PM
C6topless
Pro

Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by DEFCON5
I think I may need a starter. I bough this car about a year ago and shortly after it had an issue where when hitting the starter, I would get a metallic click, the dash would go dark then reset. After determining the electronics and voltage appeared to be normal, we push started the car with no problems. I drove it to a dealer that I had used previously to fix the gas smell. When I got there, I restarted the car several times with no issues.. It was Sunday so I just filled out the details and left the key in the drop box. When they got it in, they could find no problems and it started every time. They didn't charge me for the time, which was nice. Now a year later it has recurred. I checked the battery voltage at 7.64. No good. The battery was 1.5 year old Champion. I replaced it with an Interstate and the car started right up until it didn't. I'm thinking starter. Battery voltage remains over12 amps so I don't think that's the problem. I know these cars are hard on starters because of the heat. I went ahead and ordered a new Delco. It also overheated while idling while resetting the head unit, which never has happened. I added a video which may or may not open. Any thoughts?
__ it is not your starter per se, but the solenoid that has gone bad. I typically modify the plug so I can install the C5 version. Cost is about $20 .... doing the entire starter you are looking at about $500 +
Old 03-07-2023, 09:25 AM
DEFCON5
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

I bought an AC Delco starter for $105 and a good friend has a lift which I helped him set up. I gave him $80 (which he didn't want to take) so I had less than $200 in the replacement. Not sure what a dealer would have charged.

Get notified of new replies

To Starting Issues

Quick Reply: Starting Issues