C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C6 Lingenfelter Grand Sport 670 Purchase

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2023, 09:09 AM
Rembrandt12
Heel & Toe

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Default C6 Lingenfelter Grand Sport 670 Purchase

Hey Everyone,

I was browsing Autotrader for Grand Sports in my local area and came across a one owner 2012 Grand Sport which was optioned with the 670 package from Lingenfelter. I guess this made it's original purchase price in the mid 80's? Honestly, I've never heard of this and doing some research looks like the weak point is the fuel delivery? Kinda makes me nervous as I've read of people's motor blowing but I'm not sure if this is user error or the package. With a name like Lingenfelter I want to believe it's the user and not them, but I honestly don't know as I just discovered this is a thing. At 670hp it's incredibly enticing and may be more reliable than going after a LS7.

I wanted to get everyone's thoughts on the downsides of this package and possible issues. Also, given the age of this set up could the supercharger have issue or getting too old?

For reference it's a 3LT with 33k miles for 44k.

Thanks all,
Old 02-13-2023, 10:25 AM
C6VetteLover
Racer

Received 144 Likes on 104 Posts

Originally Posted by Rembrandt12
Hey Everyone, I was browsing Autotrader for Grand Sports in my local area and came across a one owner 2012 Grand Sport which was optioned with the 670 package from Lingenfelter. I guess this made it's original purchase price in the mid 80's? Honestly, I've never heard of this and doing some research looks like the weak point is the fuel delivery? Kinda makes me nervous as I've read of people's motor blowing but I'm not sure if this is user error or the package. With a name like Lingenfelter I want to believe it's the user and not them, but I honestly don't know as I just discovered this is a thing. At 670hp it's incredibly enticing and may be more reliable than going after a LS7. I wanted to get everyone's thoughts on the downsides of this package and possible issues. Also, given the age of this set up could the supercharger have issue or getting too old? For reference it's a 3LT with 33k miles for 44k. Thanks all,
Sounds rather cheap for that car. Stock Grand Sports with similar options and mileage are around that price. Is this at a dealer or private sale?​​​​​
The following users liked this post:
FAUEE (02-13-2023)
Old 02-13-2023, 10:49 AM
Rembrandt12
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by C6VetteLover
Sounds rather cheap for that car. Stock Grand Sports with similar options and mileage are around that price. Is this at a dealer or private sale?​​​​​
It's a local Chevrolet dealership to me not a private sale. They said it's a one owner and no accident car.

It seems like a steal for what it is but I know so little about this package. I've been reading fuel delivery is a big problem?
Old 02-13-2023, 11:30 AM
EvanZR1
Le Mans Master

Received 2,291 Likes on 1,199 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (performance mods)
C4 of Year Winner (performance mods) 2019

Keep in mind, that 670HP is flywheel. It's really just an Edelbrock E-Force blower kit tuned by Lingenfelter but would make for a really fun street car.
PMPerformance (02-14-2023)
Old 02-13-2023, 01:22 PM
Rembrandt12
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by EvanZR1
Keep in mind, that 670HP is flywheel. It's really just an Edelbrock E-Force blower kit tuned by Lingenfelter but would make for a really fun street car.
The E-Force supercharger system is designed to allow the stock C6 Corvette hood. This system allows C6 Corvette owners to obtain excellent performance improvements without decreasing reliability while still retaining the stock exterior look.

670 BHP / 565 lbs-ft of torque

Package includes:
- Edelbrock E-Force TVS2300 intercooled supercharger system
- Black powder coated finish
- Lingenfelter CNC engraved logo
- Based on OEM Eaton supercharger unit
- Lingenfelter CNC ported LS3 cylinder heads
- Lingenfelter dual valve springs, titanium retainers, 10 degree locks
- Lingenfelter GT9 camshaft by Competition Cams
- Properly sized fuel injectors
- Kenne Bell Boost-a-pump fuel pump voltage booster
- Lingenfelter 160 F thermostat
- Professional installation, testing and calibration
- Chassis dyno report before & after installation
- Excellent drivability, highway mileage not adversely affected
- Lingenfelter 3 year/ 36,000 mile warranty
- Lingenfelter chrome fender, interior, & engine badge
- Lingenfelter certificate of authenticity

Looks it includes heads and cam but not sure about that fuel delivery. Just a boost a pump from Kenne Bell and I've not read good things about that.
Old 02-13-2023, 01:45 PM
EvanZR1
Le Mans Master

Good catch, didn't realize they did cam & heads on that kit. That's the same cam they used on their ZR1 package, be aware that in the early 2010s they weren't using dual valve springs on their kits, that came at a later date. I just had a buddy with a ZR1 with the Lingenfelter kit have one of the original single springs fail.
Old 02-13-2023, 02:07 PM
old motorhead
Le Mans Master

Received 1,342 Likes on 950 Posts

There's a lot of good stuff in that package. Nothing inherently wrong with a boost a pump. Those that have problems are usually wiring related. A Race Tronix wiring harness cures that. I'd be more worried about the GT9 camshaft. The lobe style used on that cam are very high lift with very aggressive ramp rates. Really hard on the valve train. Here's what Comp Cams says about the LSK lobe style: "They are very hard on parts and not generally recommended in street applications."

Google "Comp Cams LSK lobes" if you don't believe me. I think the lift specs are .629/.656. The exhaust lift is valve train suicide on stock or upgraded trunion stock rockers.

The supercharger can outlive everything else on that Vette. It'll be about the last thing to break.
The following 2 users liked this post by old motorhead:
703z06 (02-13-2023), Aardwolf (02-15-2023)
Old 02-13-2023, 02:36 PM
Rembrandt12
Heel & Toe

Good catch, didn't realize they did cam & heads on that kit. That's the same cam they used on their ZR1 package, be aware that in the early 2010s they weren't using dual valve springs on their kits, that came at a later date. I just had a buddy with a ZR1 with the Lingenfelter kit have one of the original single springs fail.
Great call out. That's the kinda information I was hoping to get cause given it's age like you said some of their components could change. Their older components could have maybe been not that great like you were saying about your buddies ZR1. This helps me gauge if it's worth getting and then immediately upgrading certain components just to make sure I don't have any failures.

What happened when it failed, is that something that's catastrophic?
Old 02-13-2023, 02:39 PM
Rembrandt12
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by old motorhead
There's a lot of good stuff in that package. Nothing inherently wrong with a boost a pump. Those that have problems are usually wiring related. A Race Tronix wiring harness cures that. I'd be more worried about the GT9 camshaft. The lobe style used on that cam are very high lift with very aggressive ramp rates. Really hard on the valve train. Here's what Comp Cams says about the LSK lobe style: "They are very hard on parts and not generally recommended in street applications."

Google "Comp Cams LSK lobes" if you don't believe me. I think the lift specs are .629/.656. The exhaust lift is valve train suicide on stock or upgraded trunion stock rockers.

The supercharger can outlive everything else on that Vette. It'll be about the last thing to break.
Thank you sir! That's all great information helps me gauge if I really want to take the risk on it. Like another user said earlier that's the cost of a bone stock grand sport right now. It's very very tempting considering it's a 22k package so I'm trying to figure out the weak links and cost of correcting those issues to ensure longevity. Just overall if it's worth the purchase.

The Boost a Pump does concern me I've seen a couple threads here on it. One was even accusing Lingenfelter of purposely addressing the fuel situation in a negligent manner. Basically saying they did it on purpose for the package to fail which makes no sense to me.
Old 02-13-2023, 03:25 PM
EvanZR1
Le Mans Master

What happened when it failed, is that something that's catastrophic?
He noticed it had what seemed like a little hesitation/knock. Shop immediately diagnosed it as the spring, swapped to the newer dual springs and was all good. The reason I pointed out the older kits came with single springs was because of the concerns some have about the aggressive nature of the GT9 cam.

The Boost a Pump does concern me I've seen a couple threads here on it. One was even accusing Lingenfelter of purposely addressing the fuel situation in a negligent manner. Basically saying they did it on purpose for the package to fail which makes no sense to me.
Lots of blower kits use the BAP, I ran one on my previous A&A blower GS for 4 years with no issues. As @old motorhead said, if you're worried about the wiring on the BAP (most common failure), swap in the Racetronix harness.
Old 02-13-2023, 03:36 PM
Rembrandt12
Heel & Toe

He noticed it had what seemed like a little hesitation/knock. Shop immediately diagnosed it as the spring, swapped to the newer dual springs and was all good. The reason I pointed out the older kits came with single springs was because of the concerns some have about the aggressive nature of the GT9 cam.

Lots of blower kits use the BAP, I ran one on my previous A&A blower GS for 4 years with no issues. As @old motorhead said, if you're worried about the wiring on the BAP (most common failure), swap in the Racetronix harness.
By chance would you know what the cost was for him? I'm assuming that's one of the first things I would want to do.
Old 02-13-2023, 04:16 PM
not08crmanymore
Team Owner

Received 138 Likes on 119 Posts

Thank you sir! That's all great information helps me gauge if I really want to take the risk on it. Like another user said earlier that's the cost of a bone stock grand sport right now. It's very very tempting considering it's a 22k package so I'm trying to figure out the weak links and cost of correcting those issues to ensure longevity. Just overall if it's worth the purchase.

Remember, if the deal sounds too good to be true.. Why would anyone sell that car at that price with that package? Seems a little shaky to me. That is the price of a bone stock GS,SO YOU'D GET THE package for free but at what later cost?
The following 2 users liked this post by not08crmanymore:
C6VetteLover (02-13-2023), GS-2013 (02-13-2023)
Old 02-13-2023, 06:14 PM
EvanZR1
Le Mans Master

By chance would you know what the cost was for him? I'm assuming that's one of the first things I would want to do.
Unfortunately, they talked him into doing injectors at the same time, so I don't think he can break the price out.

Originally Posted by not08crmanymore
Remember, if the deal sounds too good to be true.. Why would anyone sell that car at that price with that package? Seems a little shaky to me. That is the price of a bone stock GS,SO YOU'D GET THE package for free but at what later cost?
It's a modded car, even if it is a "Lingenfelter". Many modded cars go for the same price or often less than a bone stock car. Sure the right buyer might pay a little extra for this car, but many will not.
Old 02-13-2023, 08:18 PM
old motorhead
Le Mans Master

Received 1,342 Likes on 950 Posts

It's a modded car, even if it is a "Lingenfelter". Many modded cars go for the same price or often less than a bone stock car. Sure the right buyer might pay a little extra for this car, but many will not.
100% agree with this. I've modded a lot of cars and trucks over the years. Two C6 Corvettes with TVS2300 blowers. I always like to start with an unmolested version.

The ported heads are WAY overkill at this power level. That's a whole lot of bucks spent for very little bang. There's no mention of exhaust mods, so I'm assuming no long tubes and a stock LS3 exhaust system. That's throwing a lot of power down the toilet right there too. Using a camshaft that's a noted valvetrain eater doesn't pass muster either.

The above doesn't mean this is a bad deal though. Add long tubes and X, swap the cam out for something more sensible, pulley down a notch, and you'd have a really fine ride if the rest of the Vette checks out.

Old 02-14-2023, 08:31 AM
Rembrandt12
Heel & Toe

Unfortunately, they talked him into doing injectors at the same time, so I don't think he can break the price out.

Do you think it's a good price for what it is? It's a one owner no accident. Do you think it's a safe buy if I change some of those things?
Renarello (02-14-2023)
Old 02-14-2023, 10:35 AM
Renarello
Advanced

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Need pics!
Old 02-14-2023, 10:50 AM
Rembrandt12
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by Renarello
Need pics!
Used 2012 Chevrolet Corvette Grand Sport for sale in Cuyahoga Falls, OH 44221: Coupe Details - 670459189 - Autotrader

I was wrong it's a User Car dealer, possibly associated with a Chevy dealership, but not outright a Chevy dealer.

Get notified of new replies

To C6 Lingenfelter Grand Sport 670 Purchase

Old 02-14-2023, 10:55 AM
Renarello
Advanced

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Nice!!
Old 02-14-2023, 11:01 AM
EvanZR1
Le Mans Master

Do you think it's a good price for what it is? It's a one owner no accident. Do you think it's a safe buy if I change some of those things?
Seems reasonable to me. Honestly, it's probably fine as is, especially if it's going to be a weekend/low-mileage car. If you're going to drive it a lot or beat on it, then yes, I'd probably change the springs & cam.
Old 02-14-2023, 11:13 AM
Rembrandt12
Heel & Toe

Seems reasonable to me. Honestly, it's probably fine as is, especially if it's going to be a weekend/low-mileage car. If you're going to drive it a lot or beat on it, then yes, I'd probably change the springs & cam.
Would you know the Springs your buddy used? What do you think would be a better cam alternative?

Just trying to do the math how much cash I'd need to invest on top of tax and what not for the sale. I'll definitely be driving it weekly during spring/summer/fall

Quick Reply: C6 Lingenfelter Grand Sport 670 Purchase