C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How often to start over the winter?

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2022, 01:45 PM
gilbybarr
Le Mans Master

Received 1,891 Likes on 796 Posts

With cold storage, dont start it till spring. Remove the battery and take it home and put a maintainer charger on it.
The following 2 users liked this post by gilbybarr:
oldcanuck (12-19-2022), USA1 427 (12-23-2022)
Old 12-19-2022, 02:03 PM
oldcanuck
Pro

Received 305 Likes on 194 Posts

Originally Posted by gilbybarr
With cold storage, dont start it till spring. Remove the battery and take it home and put a maintainer charger on it.
Best answer if it's actually in storage.
The following users liked this post:
tommyc6z06 (12-24-2022)
Old 12-19-2022, 05:27 PM
DrKrieger
Drifting

Received 838 Likes on 487 Posts
2023 C6 of the Year Finalist - Modified

I am very thankful that I live in the Valley of the Sun and don't have to put the car up for the winter. God bless all of you that can't drive your car for months at a time! I hope everyone has the best holidays ever!!
Old 12-19-2022, 06:51 PM
dr_gallup
Melting Slicks

Received 907 Likes on 591 Posts

I stored my GS last winter for 6 months because I had both knees replaced. Made sure the key popped the hatch, some what over inflated the tires, disconnected the battery, spread some dryer sheets around and closed her up. 6 months later, reconnected the battery and she fired right up. Indexed the windows, reset the tire pressure and good to go.
Old 12-19-2022, 07:31 PM
Trebor
Drifting

Received 256 Likes on 157 Posts

I live in New England. I don't change the oil I only put about 800 miles on the car this year. So, Mobile 1 can handle the winter down time. I don't start the engine at all. I have a Black and Decker trickle charger maintaining the battery for about 6 months to spring. I'll do a flood start to lube the top of the motor with oil and avoid a dry start in the spring. Change the oil, let a few pounds of air out of the tires. Good to go. I've done this on 4 Vettes and one 5th gen Camaro. Good luck.
Old 12-19-2022, 08:03 PM
Samz.K
Instructor

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by arbo67
I have my C6 base in storage for the winter. Unfortunately, the storage unit doesn't have power. I can't hook up a battery tender. How often do i need to start it? Drive it, weather permitting? I see recommendations from weekly to monthly on my google search. What does your experience tell you?
No need to start it really, i remove my battery and keep it inside the house and park my cars for 7 months straight
Old 12-19-2022, 08:57 PM
Musclefreak
Instructor

Received 68 Likes on 38 Posts

The reason why many mechanics and enthusiasts recommend starting and running a car up to operating temperature at least on a monthly basis is to keep seals, gaskets and other rubber parts from dry rotting. We may be able to get away with this since our C6s are not as old as other collector vehicles, but eventually over years, it may catch up with us.

As others have mentioned in this thread, I regularly employ the cranking procedure. I do this if the car was not run in a couple of days since the oil is at the bottom of the pan, especially on dry sump engines.

I realize when you have harsh winters and summer tires, there are very few days when you can take your Vette out. But if there is a rare dry day over 40 degrees, I would strongly suggest a 20 minute drive if possible! Otherwise, if conditions prohibit a drive, what about just cranking the engine two to three times for 20 seconds to spay some oil inside the engine? If so, you will definitely need to recharge the battery as cranking will drain it down.

If you can’t move the car, be sure to pump the tires to 40psi as someone else mentioned to avoid flat spots in the tires unless you jack the tires off the ground.
Old 12-20-2022, 11:21 AM
oldcanuck
Pro

Received 305 Likes on 194 Posts

Originally Posted by Musclefreak
The reason why many mechanics and enthusiasts recommend starting and running a car up to operating temperature at least on a monthly basis is to keep seals, gaskets and other rubber parts from dry rotting. We may be able to get away with this since our C6s are not as old as other collector vehicles, but eventually over years, it may catch up with us.

As others have mentioned in this thread, I regularly employ the cranking procedure. I do this if the car was not run in a couple of days since the oil is at the bottom of the pan, especially on dry sump engines.

I realize when you have harsh winters and summer tires, there are very few days when you can take your Vette out. But if there is a rare dry day over 40 degrees, I would strongly suggest a 20 minute drive if possible! Otherwise, if conditions prohibit a drive, what about just cranking the engine two to three times for 20 seconds to spay some oil inside the engine? If so, you will definitely need to recharge the battery as cranking will drain it down.

If you can’t move the car, be sure to pump the tires to 40psi as someone else mentioned to avoid flat spots in the tires unless you jack the tires off the ground.
I don't think a car will suffer from dry rot after 6 months in storage.
The following 3 users liked this post by oldcanuck:
ApexClone (12-20-2022), kanvasman (12-26-2022), Trebor (12-20-2022)
Old 12-20-2022, 12:58 PM
Teebone56
Intermediate

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

There is a lot of good information in this thread for those of us that store there cars during the winter months. I always fill the tank and add stabilizer. Then take the car for one last spin before putting her away. This year I have kept the car up on my quick jack…….that way I can get to all the maintenance items I have on my list……..oil change, transmission oil and filter change, and flush the brake lines. Always on a tender!
The following 2 users liked this post by Teebone56:
Joy Ryd (12-21-2022), ominousone (12-20-2022)
Old 12-20-2022, 04:23 PM
TorchRedFred
Le Mans Master

Received 1,636 Likes on 1,121 Posts

Originally Posted by Musclefreak
Newer seals and gaskets are far superior to the ones they use to use or were available years ago. Yeah, it may catch up with us eventually, but they should last much longer than they once did. Leaks under cars and trucks was a much more common thing back in the day, even on cars that were not that old.
Old 12-20-2022, 05:05 PM
FatsWaller
Safety Car

Received 1,798 Likes on 1,152 Posts

Originally Posted by TorchRedFred
Newer seals and gaskets are far superior to the ones they use to use or were available years ago. Yeah, it may catch up with us eventually, but they should last much longer than they once did. Leaks under cars and trucks was a much more common thing back in the day, even on cars that were not that old.
Exactly. I’m more concerned about the growing scarcity or unavailability of things like the ABS module, ECM, RCDLR, BCM and so on. Gaskets and seals don’t seem to be in short supply, but my gut feeling is that the electronic stuff is going to do us in eventually.
The following 2 users liked this post by FatsWaller:
StayinStock (12-21-2022), TorchRedFred (12-20-2022)
Old 12-20-2022, 11:11 PM
LCZ06
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 184 Likes on 123 Posts

Originally Posted by rbwinston
, put a tender on the battery, throw a few dryer sheets in the car and under
Never heard of using dryer sheets. I have used the small absorbing bead containers before. How does that exactly help?
Old 12-21-2022, 12:16 PM
not08crmanymore
Team Owner

Received 138 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by TorchRedFred
If your battery was fully discharged, chances are it's toast and needs to be replaced. If the charge falls below a certain level, some kind of chemical reaction happens and the battery is most likely damaged.
I was thinking about that but it did get power immediately when I hooked up jumpers to it a couple of weeks ago. I'll see how it goes in spring. It's on the tender now and all systems are green so maybe i saved it .lol .
Old 12-21-2022, 03:25 PM
Joy Ryd
8th Gear

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I wa told that the dryer sheets help keep mice out from under the hood or in the exhaust. They don't like the smell.
LCZ06 (12-28-2022)
Old 12-22-2022, 12:52 AM
Iceaxe
Safety Car

Received 2,610 Likes on 1,395 Posts

Originally Posted by arbo67
Interestingly enough, my mechanic recommended starting it monthly.
Time to find a new mechanic, as the one you have is a shitty mechanic. Ask me how i know?
puterami (12-22-2022)
Old 12-23-2022, 08:21 PM
USA1 427
Safety Car

Received 731 Likes on 464 Posts

Originally Posted by CorvettePassion
I start mine almost every day......since its my daily driver. Western PA. Corvettes are for driving.......not storing.
I'm betting you didn't drive it today!!!

I'm in Johnstown. This weather SUCKS!
Old 12-23-2022, 08:36 PM
DrKrieger
Drifting

Received 838 Likes on 487 Posts
2023 C6 of the Year Finalist - Modified

I started mine today, removed the Targa Top and went for a drive in the 71 degree weather. It was a perfectly beautiful day!

Get notified of new replies

To How often to start over the winter?

Old 12-23-2022, 09:09 PM
Keppler
Safety Car

Received 436 Likes on 305 Posts

Thanks for all the replies. I have used the key recently to pop the hatch. Good to know that works. It hadn't occurred to me that could get gummed up. *DUH* I've thought about disconnecting the battery.
I'd like to drive her down the interstate 30 or so miles every couple of weeks, rather than disconnect the battery. I'll let you know how that plan works out. Interestingly enough, my mechanic recommended starting it monthly.
It is much easier to remove the battery, or disconnect the ground cable and let it sit. Do not take the advice of your mechanic.

To avoid the key latch issue simply stuff a paper towel in the latch area so the rear hatch can not close completely.

Last edited by Keppler; 12-24-2022 at 08:50 PM.
Old 12-26-2022, 06:05 PM
buck fever
Instructor

Received 46 Likes on 25 Posts

As you can see you’ll get a wide variety of opinions on this matter. Some have offered really good tips. Here’s what has worked for me as I store my car over the winter from early December until mid-March every year. First, I change the oil(Pennzoil Ultra) before storage. Next, I top off my fuel tank with 3 different gasoline’s varying from BP, Shell, Exxon or Sunoco because each one has different detergent/cleaning agents. Then every 3-4 days I run it for around 20 minutes moving it back and forth in the garage. Over 10 years I’ve experienced zero issues doing this. As you use gas over this time, just top-off the tank with your gas of choice from a fresh filled gas can. Good luck and God bless

Last edited by buck fever; 12-26-2022 at 09:27 PM.
Old 12-26-2022, 06:34 PM
kanvasman
Melting Slicks

Received 803 Likes on 551 Posts

Exactly how is running your car around the garage for 20 minutes every 3 or 4 days considered storage?
The following 2 users liked this post by kanvasman:
BigEC6 (12-30-2022), LCZ06 (12-28-2022)

Quick Reply: How often to start over the winter?