C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

how many domino's do i have to deal with?

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2022, 12:00 PM
seijack
Burning Brakes

Received 191 Likes on 131 Posts

Originally Posted by Sledge Hammer
Not trying to be a dick here, but that 208,000 miles mentioned in your second to last post could be a big part of your issues. While several have gone beyond that, most would have to put some repairs in to get there. You also mentioned "spirited driving" early in this thread. While you are correct most of us here do some spirited driving, if spirited driving to you means dumping the clutch and doing smoky burnouts, that could have something to do with the trans axle mount failures. Or you may just have had some bad luck. In any event, with 208,000 miles on the clock I think you can be pretty sure there will be more repairs in the future.
I agree, 208K is some pretty good miles. Much depends on driving style, # of owners, and maint all play a part in repairs that are needed.
Old 09-12-2022, 12:17 PM
cgladish
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 446 Likes on 336 Posts

Originally Posted by seijack
I agree, 208K is some pretty good miles. Much depends on driving style, # of owners, and maint all play a part in repairs that are needed.
i am the second owner. maintenance has been consistent, combined with a shop that seems to be on top of any issues. I'm sure that a less aggressive driver, may have gotten a bit farther on repair ladder then i have.
but then again, it's a corvette, while i do not beat the hell out of it but, I'll get on it pretty regularly. for now, i'll chalk it up to the price of admission. luckily for now, i do not have access to my 401k.
Talk to me in a year or so though.
Old 09-12-2022, 12:17 PM
Coupe89
Melting Slicks

Received 33 Likes on 27 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'06

With 167k on the clock for me. Another new list to look out for. For me I take it stride with this older car, something will go wrong eventually.
Just like on Saturday when broke my transmission shifter bushing in Concord dam $12 part...
Old 09-12-2022, 12:26 PM
cgladish
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Coupe89
With 167k on the clock for me. Another new list to look out for. For me I take it stride with this older car, something will go wrong eventually.
Just like on Saturday when broke my transmission shifter bushing in Concord dam $12 part...
I'll trade you a bushing for a new A/C compressor. just kidding ( Or am i? ). like the problem i had last weekend ( missing bolt on the drivers side rear control arm ), how often or, has anyone ever experienced that before?
i can live with the usual wear items. luckily this was a relatively cheap fix ( dealership: $260.00 ).
Old 09-12-2022, 10:33 PM
buckmeister2
Le Mans Master

Received 1,206 Likes on 824 Posts

Originally Posted by cgladish
this was a Les Schwab tire shop. i'm guessing that they were happy to found 'A problem' so quickly that, they found ' THE problem '. i thought about heading back to them afterwards to tell what the real problem was. but then again, this wasn't really their focus of expertise.
i read other peoples experience with their cars and am happy for them. lately, i've had a run of fixing one issue then, having another pop up. sometimes they overlap. of course, for me, it's like playing Black Jack. knowing when to hit or, not to, measures your success.

i've always thought that the current problem will be the last one ( for awhile anyways ). after getting caught in run of issues, has me thinking, it might time for a break. i keep thinking that, i fixed quite a few items already, what else could / will be next?
i can handle the occasional flat tire type issues but, a missing control arm bolt? really? maybe i've got the factory test mule? still on the fence but, currently have both legs one side of it.

I have followed your trials and tribulations from the day you picked up your car and drove it home. Each time you had an issue, I felt fortunate not to have the same issue. I eventually got the feeling that you got the one car in every couple hundred that catches ALL the problems, where most of us catch a few, and some catch none. I hope that you have exhausted the gremlins, and now have a relatively trouble-free ride.

Good luck.
The following users liked this post:
cgladish (09-13-2022)
Old 09-13-2022, 06:46 AM
sailmaster
Instructor

Received 16 Likes on 7 Posts

Are you saying you have 208000 miles on the odometer.
Old 09-13-2022, 10:08 AM
cgladish
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by buckmeister2
I have followed your trials and tribulations from the day you picked up your car and drove it home. Each time you had an issue, I felt fortunate not to have the same issue. I eventually got the feeling that you got the one car in every couple hundred that catches ALL the problems, where most of us catch a few, and some catch none. I hope that you have exhausted the gremlins, and now have a relatively trouble-free ride.

Good luck.
ownership of cars is a crap shoot, when combined with them being used cars, who knows?. i was hoping the second engine would have been the long term fix. who would have thought a factory engine would lose an oil pump ( @ 32k miles ).
anyways, enough bitchin'! it is what it is. getting it back tonight ( new A/C compressor ). reset the clock and see what happens now ( next? sorry, no bitchin' ).
at least to offset some of this, my back up ride ( 2003 Honda Accord, bought new, currently @ 167k miles ), has been relatively trouble free. had to replace the transmission @ 72k miles ). otherwise, it's only been maintenance items.
it does need shocks ( still original units ). so, i have that going for me!
Old 09-13-2022, 10:59 AM
cgladish
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by sailmaster
Are you saying you have 208000 miles on the odometer.
the car, as a whole, has 208k miles. the current engine ( #3 ) has about 10k miles. the clutch & accessories ( replaced at engine #2 ) has about 48k miles.
the interior still looks pretty good. i have replace the center seat back on, the drivers seat ( effects of being 6'-2" 350lbs ). otherwise, the only wear I've seen is the left side of the console.
the stitching has been worn through, from the my right leg constantly rubbing against it.
exterior-wise, the front end has seen its share of road use ( sand blasted bumper / hood ). a few small nicks here and there. overall though, not it too bad of shape.
Old 09-14-2022, 08:12 AM
patdlangley
Advanced

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I bought mine a few years ago with no engine. and a lot of wiring modifications for nitrous. I repaired all of that. But it took a lot of time to get it straight.

After I got a replacement ingine in, I was getting a fuel system problem warning. I put in new fuel pumps and fuel level sensors. That is when I found otu ther ewere two different rheostats. The resisitance is opposite on them. I stopped working on it for months because I was frustrated that I could not get the fuel tank crosspipe back in. I finally bit the bullet and dropped the back cradle. It made things so much easier.

Then , I found out in the process that the ECM was bad. Fuel sender input was not working. All of the work I did on the tanks may not have even been necessary.

New ECM I bought was bad too. One of the output drivers (starter relay driver) was bad. I Got another one that finally worked.

Fast forward to now. I am still trying to work out all of the bugs. I am getting P0171 and P0174 codes. I found one small leak at the PCV hose. But I sure know a lot more about the vacuum sysytem on the car. I put in a new MAF. That did not help.

I ordered new o2 sensors yesterday. The ones in it have at least 100k miles on them. Hopefully this will solve the problems.

But I can see what you are saying. There comes a point where I get tired of working on it and just want to drive it.

Luckily I can do most of the work on it myself. So , it does not cost me as much money. That is the only way I can afford a newer Corvette.

After having this one, I can see why I was told once by an Indy car owner who was driving one of the pace car replicas that it was a POS.

By the way I was a former Delco Electronis, Delphi Automotive employee, retired now. I designed engine controls for a while. Luckily, I can understand the electronics.
I have a 1970 Corvette big block coupe that is much easier to work on.

Old 09-16-2022, 04:16 PM
erikszr1
Melting Slicks

Received 56 Likes on 44 Posts

common issue with the steering column. bearing slides out, there is not fix. it will slide out again in 1 week. i usually buy a used column for 75 bucks. parts are not available separate from gm.
Old 09-16-2022, 04:18 PM
erikszr1
Melting Slicks

Received 56 Likes on 44 Posts

i just saw the miles.....and hes upset??? lol that thing is worn out
Old 09-16-2022, 04:29 PM
cgladish
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by erikszr1
i just saw the miles.....and hes upset??? lol that thing is worn out
if you are referring to my post on the 208k miles, i wasn't upset with the steering column bearing. i wasn't even upset when i found out that, that wasn't even the problem.
it wasn't the bearing that was worn but, the plastic retainer. that's besides the point though. what really got me though, was that as soon as A problem was found, that doesn't meet it was THE problem ( Les Schwab Tires ).
The dealership found the actual problem relatively quickly. i was even more surprised that they found it all. as I told them it felt like a steering issue. to find out, it was missing rear control arm bolt, was what caught me off guard.
some problems i do find odd, regardless of the age / mileage. i do acknowledge that most can be attributed age and driving style.
( if i wasn't who you were referring to, never mind ).

Quick Reply: how many domino's do i have to deal with?