C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Headlight restoration

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2022, 01:29 PM
renegade10
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Headlight restoration

Have an 06 vert. The headlights lenses were in very very bad shape and thought I would have to replace them. I did a lot of research on how to replace them on u tube, but it was out of my pay grade for sure. I was refereed by a friend to a guy who restored them, which was done today, and they came out like brand new after 3 hours of work, AMAZING!!! His name is Jeff Kern 239.229.4290 and is based in Ft Myers Florida. I have his permission to post this information. I'm a very happy customer.
The following users liked this post:
Brent4880 (08-31-2022)
Old 08-30-2022, 01:54 PM
She_Thicc
Banned Scam/Spammer

Received 270 Likes on 173 Posts

What exactly did he do? The problem with restoring the lenses is that they often look good right after they are restored but will go back to looking dull or faded in a few months to a year.

I actually am doing a full restore of my lenses this weekend so they look better at LS Fest next weekend.

My process will be wet sanding from 400 grit, 600, then 2000.

Spray with 2K Clear:
Amazon Amazon

Wet sand the clear with 2000.

The 2k clear is supposed to be the ticket to long-lasting headlights. I figure I have nothing to lose. The passenger headlight is starting to look yellow and ugly. These parts cost me $40 total and some elbow grease.
Brent4880 (08-31-2022)
Old 08-30-2022, 02:14 PM
Klawp
Drifting

Received 855 Likes on 476 Posts

Originally Posted by She_Thicc
What exactly did he do? The problem with restoring the lenses is that they often look good right after they are restored but will go back to looking dull or faded in a few months to a year.

I actually am doing a full restore of my lenses this weekend so they look better at LS Fest next weekend.

My process will be wet sanding from 400 grit, 600, then 2000.

Spray with 2K Clear: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0043B7UQY

Wet sand the clear with 2000.

The 2k clear is supposed to be the ticket to long-lasting headlights. I figure I have nothing to lose. The passenger headlight is starting to look yellow and ugly. These parts cost me $40 total and some elbow grease.
Just make sure you wear a good resp/ppe and spray the clear outside/in a very well ventilated area. Isocyanates are very, very bad for you and can enter via skin, eyes, nose, etc...
The following 2 users liked this post by Klawp:
Brent4880 (08-31-2022), She_Thicc (08-30-2022)
Old 08-30-2022, 02:34 PM
She_Thicc
Banned Scam/Spammer

Originally Posted by UWU
Just make sure you wear a good resp/ppe and spray the clear outside/in a very well ventilated area. Isocyanates are very, very bad for you and can enter via skin, eyes, nose, etc...
Thanks, I'm all about protection when possible. Do you think a KN95 mask and science lab goggles will be enough or do you need a full-on mask with respirators/filters? Other than that, long sleeves, pants, latex gloves, a hat.
Brent4880 (08-31-2022)
Old 08-30-2022, 02:52 PM
Klawp
Drifting

Thanks, I'm all about protection when possible. Do you think a KN95 mask and science lab goggles will be enough or do you need a full-on mask with respirators/filters? Other than that, long sleeves, pants, latex gloves, a hat.
Textbook says a full fresh air feed mask in a full suit in a well ventilated room - which i'm sure are a must if you sprayed 2k paints for a living. Just for a small application like you're doing, probably fine just using some long sleeve clothing, good resp etc..

I was going to 2k paint some parts a while back but after someone told me about the **** in 2k paints I was like, I aint got the setup or ppe for this so I scrapped it lol. I am a lot more cautious of my health now than I have been in the past so i'm sure that has something to do with it. I would advise you though just to take some time and read up on it just so you know what you're sprayin. Surprises me they sell that stuff to just about anyone to begin with.
Brent4880 (08-31-2022)
Old 08-30-2022, 04:27 PM
FatsWaller
Safety Car

Received 1,809 Likes on 1,157 Posts

The N95 offers no protection from exposure to any chemical odors, gases or vapors that one would typically experience in a hospital or health care setting. And just do you know, KN95 masks originated in China as a counterpart to the N95 respirator and are now made in a number of countries around the world. They are intended to provide protection close to that of an N95 respirator, which is regulated by the CDC National Institute for Occupational Safety and Health (NIOSH). So hospital setting or not, the mask is going to do squat in terms of protecting you against whatever harmful vapours are in the stuff you are going to use.
The following 3 users liked this post by FatsWaller:
Brent4880 (08-31-2022), Klawp (08-30-2022), She_Thicc (08-31-2022)
Old 08-30-2022, 04:54 PM
She_Thicc
Banned Scam/Spammer

Hmm, not very promising then. I am second guessing the purchase. I, too, am really cautious when it comes to exposure to harmful chemicals.

I canceled my order and was going to place a new order for a more basic type clear gloss:
Amazon Amazon

However, some reviews say it will yellow over time. Not sure what to do but might hold off on repairing my lenses until I am more comfortable with the products I'm using. Thanks for the heads-up.

Brent4880 (08-31-2022)
Old 08-30-2022, 05:00 PM
Rocketmanwpb
Safety Car

Received 468 Likes on 240 Posts

Generally the damage to the lenses is not on the surface but due to cracks in the lens which sanding will not remove. To properly restore the lenses the units have to be removed. You can buy the replacement lenses and do it yourself or send them to a restorer. I had mine done a few years ago through a Forum vendor, RLSebring.

He did an excellent job with a quick turn around.
The following 2 users liked this post by Rocketmanwpb:
Brent4880 (08-31-2022), cmonkey713 (09-04-2022)
Old 08-30-2022, 05:12 PM
Klawp
Drifting

Hmm, not very promising then. I am second guessing the purchase. I, too, am really cautious when it comes to exposure to harmful chemicals.

I canceled my order and was going to place a new order for a more basic type clear gloss:
https://www.amazon.com/Rust-Oleum-24.../dp/B002BWOS5I

However, some reviews say it will yellow over time. Not sure what to do but might hold off on repairing my lenses until I am more comfortable with the products I'm using. Thanks for the heads-up.
Don't overthink it too much, I didn't mean to cause that or anything - I was just unaware of it too before I started my paint project and when I learned about the hazards of 2K paint, it just caused me some concern and I wanted to be sure that you knew about it as well before you went out and started huffing in isocyanates unknowing of the hazards. lot differeant than getting a huff of some rustoleum or something lol.

When I stripped and sanded my headlights, I used this clear coat from 3M. It applys with a wipe and I thought it worked very well. It can run thick and leave wipe 'lines' or 'streaks', so I would maybe buy an extra pack and test on a few pieces of plastic so you know how it lays down before you lay it on a freshly polished lens.

Amazon Amazon
Brent4880 (08-31-2022)
Old 08-30-2022, 05:19 PM
Klawp
Drifting

Originally Posted by FatsWaller
The N95 offers no protection from exposure to any chemical odors, gases or vapors that one would typically experience in a hospital or health care setting. And just do you know, KN95 masks originated in China as a counterpart to the N95 respirator and are now made in a number of countries around the world. They are intended to provide protection close to that of an N95 respirator, which is regulated by the CDC National Institute for Occupational Safety and Health (NIOSH). So hospital setting or not, the mask is going to do squat in terms of protecting you against whatever harmful vapours are in the stuff you are going to use.
I had a 3m mask and some P100 filters and I still smelt fumes even with normal paint - thing with 2k which a lot of people are unaware is that you really need a fresh-feed mask as well as a proper paint suit in a proper ventilated booth to do any real work and be safe about it. Just unrealistic for someone like me or us most of the time. Maybe Thicc could do all the sanding and see if a shop could throw some clear on next time they clear a car or something?
She_Thicc (08-30-2022)
Old 08-30-2022, 06:39 PM
rbwinston
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 253 Likes on 181 Posts

Do your spraying outside in a light breeze and stand upwind. Any decent paint face respirator will do the trick in those circumstances. Wouldn't do it in the house or garage otherwise. Agree too that to do this correctly you really should replace the lenses not just try to stand and seal them. If you look closely I'll bet you see tiny cracks which sanding won't get out. You can replace the lenses yourself but it's a bit of a trick.
Old 08-30-2022, 07:30 PM
She_Thicc
Banned Scam/Spammer

I used to make money as a teenager running a headlight blackhousing service for Hondas. I'd have people ship their headlights to me, then I'd take them apart, paint them, and seal them. I'm not worried at all about my ability to replace the lens, just want to try something like this before spending a few hundred on new plastic lenses that will likely suffer the same fate.

Getting a little off topic, thanks for the replies.

OP - how about some pics?
Old 08-31-2022, 08:10 AM
renegade10
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I did not watch him do the job but I do remember him telling me he started with 40 grit sandpaper. I tried restoring them myself using a method I found on u tube. Bought the recommended sandpaper pack on Amazon and spent a couple of hours wet sanding thru several of the grits, sprayed with the recommended clear coat. They looked only o.k. for about a month, then they went south. I don't know how long they will last this time of course but he knew what he was doing.
She_Thicc (08-31-2022)
Old 08-31-2022, 05:17 PM
Sayfoo
Melting Slicks

Received 457 Likes on 355 Posts

You're more likely to have health problem from the covid vaccine.
Stand up wind (use a fan) and use common sense.
Don't over think it.
Old 08-31-2022, 06:21 PM
She_Thicc
Banned Scam/Spammer

While I appreciate your input, my common sense says I've got a lot of years of life left and would rather not risk something that is known to be highly toxic on the advice of a stranger on the internet.
Old 08-31-2022, 06:48 PM
kanvasman
Melting Slicks

Received 810 Likes on 558 Posts

I don't know how bad your lights are. But before I did any of this work others have described, Go buy a can of Plexus. Not cheap but really woks cleaning up clear lenses. Was developed for motorcycle windshields. Mine weren't cracked but had gotten dull and had a nasty film on them. A few hours later they came out great, and you can repeat as often as necessary.
Old 08-31-2022, 07:15 PM
She_Thicc
Banned Scam/Spammer

Originally Posted by kanvasman
I don't know how bad your lights are. But before I did any of this work others have described, Go buy a can of Plexus. Not cheap but really woks cleaning up clear lenses. Was developed for motorcycle windshields. Mine weren't cracked but had gotten dull and had a nasty film on them. A few hours later they came out great, and you can repeat as often as necessary.
Didn't even think of that. I already have some that I use on my motorcycle. Will give it a shot, thanks!

Get notified of new replies

To Headlight restoration

Old 08-31-2022, 10:28 PM
STLC6
Instructor

Received 54 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by Sayfoo
You're more likely to have health problem from the covid vaccine.
Stand up wind (use a fan) and use common sense.
Don't over think it.
Agreed. If you are doing this as a profession daily, you should use all the PPE you can. I'm 45 and have been wrenching, painting and using chemicals for years with no protection. Well, besides aircraft stripper, that stuff burns. Anyway, I'm fine, except that I have grown 10 nipples.
Old 08-31-2022, 10:47 PM
Slojack
Intermediate

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Take some pictures as you go. I also have an 06 and they are needing an upgrade
Old 09-01-2022, 03:22 AM
Jason71
Burning Brakes

Received 802 Likes on 402 Posts

Well worth the $1,500 from Vette-lights 😉

Quick Reply: Headlight restoration