C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Pistol grip shifter knob for c6

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2022, 12:09 AM
vetteJPJ
Burning Brakes

Received 359 Likes on 229 Posts

I've gotten used to the feel of the t-handle. With MGW shifter I feel a bit like my 1970 Camaro Z28. Obviously the C6 shifts smoother and runs faster, but the nostalgia factor is awesome.
The following users liked this post:
Youngeyes (08-16-2022)
Old 08-18-2022, 08:05 PM
Youngeyes
Intermediate

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

I changed my mind about the pistol grip. After seeing the T handle, I had a machine shop machine a rod of stainless ( .575 inner diameter) with a threaded end ( 1/2-20) . I slipped it over the stock c6 shifter rod and tightened with a set screw. I threaded on the Hurst shifter. Love it. Good solid shifting. Thanks everyone for your excellent input.
vetteJPJ (08-18-2022)
Old 08-19-2022, 07:49 PM
TomdaToolman
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 168 Likes on 125 Posts

I got my 69' Vette with a brushed aluminum Hurst T handle, but swapped in a black velour covered T handle on date nights and special occasions until I later installed the pistol grip shifter.
Youngeyes (08-20-2022)
Old 08-19-2022, 11:01 PM
vetteJPJ
Burning Brakes

Received 359 Likes on 229 Posts

Please tell us what you really think! Many here modify their cars to their own preferences. A C6 is still a nice car even with a MGW short throw shifter and a t-handle or pistol grip shift ****. My car has headers (not stock). A fast 102 intake and a NW 102 throttle body (not stock). Damn. Even a Borla exhaust (not stock). Aftermarket head unit and speakers and sub (not stock). I can go on, but you get my drift. To each his own.
Youngeyes (08-20-2022)
Old 08-20-2022, 07:27 AM
Jason71
Burning Brakes

Received 802 Likes on 402 Posts

Originally Posted by GemStater
The best looking shifter **** for the C6 was a home run in 2005 and remains so to this day. It's simple, it's elegant, it's stock. And it won't cost a thing unless a prior owner jacked it up with JC Whitney retro trash.

My guess is that you would hate my custom shift **** then…….. 🫣

Youngeyes (08-20-2022)
Old 08-20-2022, 01:57 PM
TomdaToolman
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 168 Likes on 125 Posts

Originally Posted by Jason71
My guess is that you would hate my custom shift **** then…….. 🫣

Looks like a fat Pez dispenser! lol
The following 2 users liked this post by TomdaToolman:
FAUEE (08-20-2022), RocketRob (02-03-2024)
Old 08-20-2022, 04:47 PM
Jason71
Burning Brakes

Received 802 Likes on 402 Posts

Originally Posted by TomdaToolman
Looks like a fat Pez dispenser! lol
🤪

I like it and gotta use it. My 8yo daughter picked it out and gave it to me as a surprise for Father’s Day.
Bob Onit (02-03-2024)
Old 08-20-2022, 08:17 PM
Youngeyes
Intermediate

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by GemStater
I apologize. My response was a bit on the harsh side. It's like you say, "To each his own."

Whatever ones thought process is on the matter, e.g., It's my car. I do what I want. It's what I like. I don't care what anyone else thinks. I'm keeping this car forever so I don't care about resell value... on.. and on... so fourth...

I think modifications are completely subjective. An individual thing. Which is why for me, personally, 99.5% off mods I see people do to their Vetts detract from their car. Again, subjective.

From what I've read in this forum. What others have said. My personal thought on the topic; mods can often reflect poorly on resale value. For example, I'm currently on the market for a C6 and if I see ANY mods at all, I'm moving on. You seem like a nice person, but I don't know you. I don't know what type of a mechanic you are. You could be a complete hack job. I don't want to inherent a hack job for my next purchase. On the flip side, there are plenty of garage-queen unmodified C6s out there with stacks of dealer maintenance records. Those command a premium. That's what I look for.

And maybe you're under the persuasion that you love your car so much that you'll never sell it so resale value means nothing to you. Well, over time, opinions change, life circumstances change, poor health or financial hardship can force things in a direction one never thought of. You find yourself unable to sell your car or taking a hit on the price because 9 times out of 10, people don't share the same enthusiasm for your mods that you do. Are they bolts-on mods? Did you keep the stock parts? Do you have the time or space to put it back to stock?

This is why I say in general, modifications are not worth the time or effort."To each his own."

Old 08-20-2022, 10:19 PM
Mudpie1313
Intermediate

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

If you are looking for something trick...go with a machinist. If you have a threaded rod. You can find just about anything online. One of my previous jobs was a machinist. All of the machines in the factory were custom built...the wearable parts had to be machined..that being said...I made all kinds of shift ***** and abstract things. From one that looked like a sabot tank shell, to one that looked like a set of spiked brass knuckles....I even made a set of drumsticks out of bronze for display....the only thing that would hold you back, is your imagination and ability.
Old 02-03-2024, 03:15 AM
Bob Onit
Melting Slicks

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by TomdaToolman
I had a 1969 Corvette 4 speed with a Hurst T handle shifter. When I really jumped on it accelerating hard, going from 2nd to 3rd and getting thrown back in my seat, I had difficulty getting it all the way into 3rd gear.
The Hurst Comp Plus is built to go from the second gear gate to the third gear gate, automatically. Thats what it does best. When the Comp Plus comes out of second all it takes is a straight push forward and it should drop right into third gear. If you were having issues I would look to it being properly setup. I do understand the point you're making about the clockwise roll of the engine very well though.
Old 02-03-2024, 12:17 PM
Kevin Mason
Burning Brakes

Received 89 Likes on 56 Posts

I personally love the old pistol grip shifter, but it is a design element very much associated with Mopar in my mind. Like the kidney bean grille on a BMW or the 5.0 badge on a Fox body Mustang.

YMMV.

EDIT: just so I can add something substantive to the discussion, how does one adjust a Hurst on a C6 Vette? Mine came to me with a Hurst and finding gears is more of a challenge than any car I ever drove.
Old 02-03-2024, 05:27 PM
ilovheros
Instructor

Received 43 Likes on 31 Posts

Jason , that thing is awesome!
Old 02-04-2024, 02:37 PM
dlcain
Instructor

Received 37 Likes on 30 Posts

I went with a Hurst pistol grip on mine. Has a good feel and positive shifts. I've had it for about 6 years and never had a problem.

Quick Reply: Pistol grip shifter knob for c6