C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

May get another vette, couple questions

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2022, 09:23 AM
andrewdonald1
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Default May get another vette, couple questions

Hello everyone. Its been a long time since I've been on here. I would like a little input on your thoughts about my potential life choice on the next car.
Way back in 2009 I owned a 2004 C5Z for a few years as a DD. Awesome car, but eventually I got rid of it because [1] I was impatient and didn't wait for the right color and got black (I suck at detailing black and it sucks to get it right and 5 minutes later the butt on the car is dirty again with dust) & [2] lifestyle changes at the time with my now wife.
I am thinking of downsizing on a number of things and considering consolidating back to a Vette.
I've narrowed it down to a C6 MY 2008 -2013.
Coupe or Convertible is fine, each have their pro's and con's.
If I do this, I am swaying away from a GS since being a potential DD, tires are a fair amount more.
Running around seattle metro area for the work week, traffic isn't always the best (there's a shocker), but I've grown up with sticks so I could live with the pain in the butt in traffic for the times you can use the stick for enjoyment.
It also keeps the body going (I am almost 53 and like most at my age are nursing mileage on the body), somedays no issue's somedays the back gives me issue's (well its always best if I just do my exercise.. that's something I need to get back into a routine).

So balancing body, traffic issues, convenience of A6 vs M6, I could consider a A6 at this point. I am only considering a low mileage one, so my plan would be to try and run this out to retirement if I can which if the stars align.. I hope 10 years.
But we all know the volatile economic times we are in so who knows?

So the C5Z I had and loved as a DD, I ended up in those days managing to put in the remote bleeder on the slave without re/re'ing the tranny.
I like the idea of a stick again possibly (I've been riding motorcycles for 40 years as well), but on the C6 as a daily for that potential length of time, I have some concerns that eventually it appears the slave will need addressed on these once again and frankly that's a pain in the butt to drop the torque tube, transaxle etc.
So all things considered, I can't believe I am saying this, but I am swaying towards a A6.
So the million dollar question: is it really worth it going to the 2012+ years in the C6 to get the factory faster A6 shifting in the lower gears, the nicer seats and steering wheel? Priority is the tranny in that statement.
Or can I get a 08-11 and tune the A6 where she will be a little more engaging with the Diablew Tune (or whatever is the latest and greatest best option of not going to a local tuner).

I am not interested in major mod's. The LS3 car is plenty as is, I used to slide the rear around on the C5Z a lot with stock power and that car was perfect for power levels/gearing etc on the street, but I disliked the pop up headlights, the black color and no wind in the hair options since I am a motorcycle guy.

So being roughly 53, I don't have a lot of time in my career to make a bad choice on the stick vs A6 (08-11) vs A6 (2012+).
Is the M6 hydraulic issue's (I read that they had a updated master cylinder with black cap, but you still have the age old issue's with the slave) really over blown and ok to DD this for a 100K miles?
If the answer is, probably best go A6 for my situation: with a box tune to the tranny is the 08-11 A6 more or less equivalent to a A6 2012+ for faster shifting in the lower gears so I get the possibility of closer driver engagement feelings of the M6 when I want to switch to paddles? Is a box tune to the A6 going to affect long term reliability of the tranny? Sure I understand that there's variables on that tune you can play with for the A6, but frankly GM on the 2012+ speed up the shifting and being OEM I assume the splinter in my mind of risk for GM's version vs box tune is very low.

That's the million dollar question, that I could use a little advice here from the experienced guys. Remember no major mods intended for me. Its enough stock (for sure with the M6) A6 MY really is the question of what to do.

Also: I am thinking of waiting for another 6 months or year to let the used prices fall hopefully, all signs are pointing to the used car market bubble finally popping and its hard to swallow that the C6's were in the mid to high 20k's in 2020 with normal depreciation, and like all crazy things right now we are in the mid to high 30K's for the same car 2 years ago. Don't get me wrong on that, I understand the car you get for that price. Its still an awesome value, but it feels like wait a bit and save some cash, But either way if I pull the trigger after downsizing some stuff, the C6 is where its at for me for a car.

Ok, thanks everyone for your valuable time. Might be back into a Vette, great cars, cheap to DD other than tires. It feels like get the base version since those tires are just a fair premium in the GS and if I get a coupe I can run it thru the Costco car wash. Please don't get cranky on the car wash thing, I love vette's but I am beyond the attachment levels of having it be a perfect car. Its going to be a DD and my life situation and desires, I'd just prefer the Costco car wash.

Oh: So thinking silver, my truck is silver and I wash that thing once I year. Love it. I do love the Atomic Orange, but I am concerned it may be flashy enough to be a ticket magnet and I really don't know how that color does with hiding daily dirt like silver? I assume the maroon colors are more to the high maintenance side of the spectrum on that, so any of the darker colors or flashy colors like red etc are out. I had a silly fun little Chevy tracker convertible way back that was like torch red and only 120HP and that dang thing was a ticket magnet so flashy colors are out more or less since its a DD. But Atomic Orange.. meh I could really do that. Silver is awesome and classy and easy to keep up. So it looks more or less those two colors unless folks could give me a little advice on the Orange in my situation. Oh maybe blue?? How's that for hiding dirt?

Andrew.

Last edited by andrewdonald1; 08-04-2022 at 10:48 AM.
Old 08-04-2022, 09:45 AM
blownbayou
Pro

Received 384 Likes on 239 Posts
2022 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

Blade Silver with a ceramic coating........

The following users liked this post:
silverja (08-05-2022)
Old 08-04-2022, 12:31 PM
65hihp
Le Mans Master

Received 3,290 Likes on 1,694 Posts

I couldn't get through all of that in one sitting. With a fraction of the over-analysis I bought an 08 LS3 Z51 Manual coupe in Crystal Red and love it. I hope that helps.
Old 08-04-2022, 12:39 PM
ChiefBoats

Location: NNCC No Name Car Crew Owned 1 C2, 2 C3's, 1 C4, 3 C5's, 1 C6, 2 C7's Now '81, '86, '03.
Received 3,941 Likes on 1,623 Posts
2024 Corvette of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2023 C3 of the Year Wnner - Unmodified
2023 C5 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
St. Jude Donor '21-'22-'23-'24

If you want the more aggressive wide body look, the '10 thru '13 Grand Sports are nice. Mine back then.

cyclesailor955 (08-05-2022)
Old 08-04-2022, 12:47 PM
TucoTom
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 50 Likes on 40 Posts

Only you can answer these questions..... Go for it, don't look back.
cyclesailor955 (08-05-2022)
Old 08-04-2022, 01:25 PM
Function Racer
Racer

Received 200 Likes on 107 Posts

TL/DR Version:

OP had C5z, got rid of it.

Wants a c6 Convertible or Coupe, M6 or A6

Concerned about the hydraulic of M6. Concerned about tuning/differences in A6.

Rest looks to be just OP debating themselves
The following 4 users liked this post by Function Racer:
GS-2013 (08-05-2022), jbc1995fb (08-04-2022), sonik_fury (08-08-2022), StayinStock (08-05-2022)
Old 08-04-2022, 01:33 PM
andrewdonald1
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Function Racer
TL/DR Version:

All true. I guess I was a little verbose. Excitement in the air. Sorry guys, please forgive my verboseness.

Andrew
Old 08-04-2022, 01:52 PM
65hihp
Le Mans Master

Received 3,290 Likes on 1,694 Posts

I wouldn't look for prices of good C6 cars to fall. I believe they hit bottom a couple years ago, and are now on an ever upward track. These are very very good cars for the money, and Chevy will never make a corvette that looks like that again. You should jump when you see one you like.
The following 2 users liked this post by 65hihp:
71sx (08-09-2022), silverja (08-05-2022)
Old 08-04-2022, 02:25 PM
4SUMERZ
Race Car Tech
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,320 Likes on 1,664 Posts

I have a VY C6 coupe with an A6. Although you prefer Silver, I fell in love with VY, but I will admit it does turn heads and get a few flicks of the police lights from time to time.
I have 114,000+ miles on the Ls2 with the A6 paddle shifters that I use extensively. I do not have a tranny tune, but I find the shifting quick enough. The only thing I added was a Vitesse throttle controller that help wake up the respone of the pedal.
I use this car for all of our road trips, and my DD to and from the golf course from May-Nov, then into winter hibernation.
Good Luck with your decision. The search is fun in itself.
Old 08-04-2022, 02:56 PM
andrewdonald1
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by 65hihp
I wouldn't look for prices of good C6 cars to fall. I believe they hit bottom a couple years ago, and are now on an ever upward track. These are very very good cars for the money, and Chevy will never make a corvette that looks like that again. You should jump when you see one you like.
Well that is the fortune telling question.
Carguru's has a good tool of being able to research trending pricing.
Just looking at just before covid and thru that event and now the used car bubble starting to burst, you can see a trend.
National wholesale auction for used car prices has started started to drop over the last 3 weeks and last week was almost a 1% drop alone week over week.
So the theory is that the bubble has been pricked.
You can see in the graph at the end of the timeline the inflection point.
The real question is: will we go back to 2020 or will we hold higher due to the chip shortages in new cars?
But in reality I believe the Corvette is unique and while maybe follow general trends, its not a every day every man kind of vehicle.
So I don't know...

silverja (08-05-2022)
Old 08-04-2022, 04:25 PM
Brent4880
Safety Car

Received 209 Likes on 155 Posts

I’m a few days short of owning my 09 1LT M6 for a year. I checked the usual sites, CarGurus, etc. daily for about a month until I found my car. It had 5,011 miles when I test drove it and I’m the 3rd owner. I live out in the country and have only bought standard transmission vehicles since my first car purchase in 83. As I’m getting older, 60, I would consider an automatic if I lived in town with frequent stop lights, traffic and such as a daily driver. My C6 is Crystal Red (maroon). It’s not black but it does show dust. I’ve owned a few cars over the years and silver seems the most visually forgiving for dust (and road grime generally). I do find the Atomic Orange very appealing. It’s a metallic so my guess is it might not show dust as bad as some other colors.

I’m biased, but I think the C6 is a beautiful car in any of the colors it was offered in. I check prices on cars similar to mine every so often and I’ve found advertised asking prices to be a little higher than a year ago. Strange economic times we live in. Best of luck!
Old 08-04-2022, 05:46 PM
cadyshac
Drifting

Received 596 Likes on 393 Posts
2022 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

If you can afford a vette you can afford tires. You said you pulled the trigger too soon and bought the wrong color the first time, don't make the same mistake twice.
Old 08-04-2022, 08:32 PM
jbc1995fb
Safety Car

Received 1,373 Likes on 894 Posts

These are mostly questions that can only be answered by you.... You can ask people on here, make a poll, or what ever, but only you will truly know what color your really want, coupe vs. convertible, A6 vs M6.

Anyway, welcome back to the forum and hopefully you'll figure out everything and get the "right" one this time.

Best of luck,

Jason

Old 08-04-2022, 11:46 PM
Flipper dude
Intermediate

Received 31 Likes on 16 Posts

Paralysis by analysis.
The following 2 users liked this post by Flipper dude:
Function Racer (08-05-2022), silverja (08-05-2022)
Old 08-05-2022, 05:36 AM
StayinStock
Safety Car

Received 3,357 Likes on 1,627 Posts
2024 Corvette of the Year Finalist - Modified
2023 C6 of the Year Winner - Modified
2022 C6 of the Year Finalist - Modified

Originally Posted by Function Racer
TL/DR Version:

This helped tremendously, I read this 3 times yesterday trying to pick out the actual question but my ADHD wouldn't allow it lol. OP M6 is a tank, hydraulic problems rare and usually simple to fix... get to the dealership and sign some paperwork. My favorite quote "clocks tickin' start livin"

Last edited by StayinStock; 08-05-2022 at 07:23 AM.
Old 08-05-2022, 08:04 AM
Silvio61
Instructor

Received 82 Likes on 51 Posts

Bought a 08 victory red Z51with NPP 2 years ago. The best car I ever owned and this is my fourth Vette. It is a M6 and I love rowing those gears. It’s totally stock the LS3 is a beast. Had 26000 miles when I got it. Since then prices have gone through the roof. Try to get a color that looks good all the time, silver is good, my red always looks good. Good luck.
Flipper dude (08-06-2022)
Old 08-05-2022, 09:29 AM
andrewdonald1
Burning Brakes

Thanks everyone for your valuable time. Like I said, I was just excited and way to verbose.
Sorry about that once again.
Its been 10 years since I've had a Vette and miss one and the potential possibility excites me.

So its sounds to me like the M6 hydraulics in terms of reliability isn't a concern for a DD (put on 100K+ miles) situation now-a-days?
Since I love manuals, but age may become more of a factor for me rowing the gears: if the reliability of the M6 hydraulics is a non issue then its a harder decision to go Auto vs Manual.
If the M6 hydraulics is a bit questionable then I will go A6 if I do it.

I still have the question on the tuning differences of the A6's 08-11 vs 12+.
Can the earlier ones be aftermarket box tuned to be close to equivalent of the 12+ OEM shift speed performance?
Impacts to A6 reliability of a aftermarket box tune isn't a concern?
Firmness I don't care about, its really the speed.

Rowing gears in sports cars and motorcycles for so long, if I am going to go Auto, I want to have the closest replication of driver engagement I can of the M6.
Ultimately the reason why I am asking is the earlier A6 gens are much more plentiful and slightly cheaper, but if I do A6, the slight premium for the later gens is fine if there is a risk there.

Hopefully this is more clear?

Thanks again gents.

Andrew.

Get notified of new replies

To May get another vette, couple questions

Old 08-05-2022, 09:43 AM
Flipper dude
Intermediate

Received 31 Likes on 16 Posts

Hilarious.
GS-2013 (08-05-2022)
Old 08-05-2022, 10:13 AM
StayinStock
Safety Car

Received 3,357 Likes on 1,627 Posts
2024 Corvette of the Year Finalist - Modified
2023 C6 of the Year Winner - Modified
2022 C6 of the Year Finalist - Modified

Originally Posted by andrewdonald1
Thanks everyone for your valuable time. Like I said, I was just excited and way to verbose.
Sorry about that once again.
Its been 10 years since I've had a Vette and miss one and the potential possibility excites me.

So its sounds to me like the M6 hydraulics in terms of reliability isn't a concern for a DD (put on 100K+ miles) situation now-a-days?
Since I love manuals, but age may become more of a factor for me rowing the gears: if the reliability of the M6 hydraulics is a non issue then its a harder decision to go Auto vs Manual.
If the M6 hydraulics is a bit questionable then I will go A6 if I do it.

I still have the question on the tuning differences of the A6's 08-11 vs 12+.
Can the earlier ones be aftermarket box tuned to be close to equivalent of the 12+ OEM shift speed performance?
Impacts to A6 reliability of a aftermarket box tune isn't a concern?
Firmness I don't care about, its really the speed.

Rowing gears in sports cars and motorcycles for so long, if I am going to go Auto, I want to have the closest replication of driver engagement I can of the M6.
Ultimately the reason why I am asking is the earlier A6 gens are much more plentiful and slightly cheaper, but if I do A6, the slight premium for the later gens is fine if there is a risk there.

Hopefully this is more clear?

Thanks again gents.

Andrew.
Yep, infact even the 12 ups can benefit from a trans tune. First thing I'd recomend to any a6 owner, GM tuned these things super lazy. Stay away from the box tunes though, go to a tuner and let them do it with HP tuners... the trans tables in these things are pretty complicated. Find someone who knows what their doing and can get it dialed. You'll be happy you did. Also look into doing the F1 Paddle mod and paddle extensions. Makes it alot more fun.
Old 08-05-2022, 10:53 AM
andrewdonald1
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by StayinStock
Yep, infact even the 12 ups can benefit from a trans tune. First thing I'd recomend to any a6 owner, GM tuned these things super lazy. Stay away from the box tunes though, go to a tuner and let them do it with HP tuners... the trans tables in these things are pretty complicated. Find someone who knows what their doing and can get it dialed. You'll be happy you did. Also look into doing the F1 Paddle mod and paddle extensions. Makes it alot more fun.
So if I went to a reputable tuner for the A6, the model years mentioned is a non issue then?

Quick Reply: May get another vette, couple questions