C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Shifter Repair Time

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2022, 08:44 PM
1320#me
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 149 Likes on 97 Posts
Default Shifter Repair Time

Hi. Finally getting around to fixing my shifter that sometimes will not come out of park this weekend. I have been lucky that I have not been stranded someplace already. I am just looking for any info of the do or don`t do while I am tearing it apart for the repair. Fishing line seems to be what people use to hold back the plastic part I believe. Thanks for any input. Wish me luck!
Old 05-26-2022, 11:02 AM
Squeaky Wheel
Burning Brakes

Received 393 Likes on 244 Posts

Originally Posted by 1320#me
Hi. Finally getting around to fixing my shifter that sometimes will not come out of park this weekend. I have been lucky that I have not been stranded someplace already. I am just looking for any info of the do or don`t do while I am tearing it apart for the repair. Fishing line seems to be what people use to hold back the plastic part I believe. Thanks for any input. Wish me luck!
Like many others, I dealt with this issue last fall. Was terribly frustrating. It’s a simple fix once you gain access to the area around that darn pawl. My biggest issue in trying to get the console out of the way was disconnecting all the plugs to the cigarette lighter, hazard lights, seat heaters, selective ride control, etc. I just couldn’t get them disconnected. There was enough slack wiring that I was able to lift the console about 8-10 inches up and out of the way, but not nearly enough room to get any sort of drill or bit in there to make a hole in the pawl to connect any type of wire or string. I was however able to get the pointy end of a small utility hand saw (had a hacksaw type blade) in there, and with patience and using small strokes, cut the pawl off. In the process I placed a small pair of forceps on it to make sure it didn’t fall off and down into the rest of the assembly. Was a great relief not having to worry anymore about getting stuck somewhere. With any automatic transmission car, I always place my foot on the brake first before shifting into gear, and you still have to squeeze the trigger to get it out of park. So removing the pawl seemed like the best option to me. Of course YMMV. 🙂 Good luck with whatever option you choose.

PS….I posted a thread titled “Parking Pawl Success, Well Sort Of” last October that included a picture of the saw I used. Sorry, but I don’t know how to include a link to it.

Last edited by Squeaky Wheel; 05-26-2022 at 11:33 AM. Reason: Added info.
Old 05-26-2022, 01:14 PM
Rusler John
Burning Brakes

Received 51 Likes on 36 Posts

I did mine tying the pawl back with wire. I drilled a small hole in it for that. It took about an hour, being careful not to destroy the console or any connectors. It's been trouble free since then.
Old 05-26-2022, 02:11 PM
Squeaky Wheel
Burning Brakes

Took me about 15 minutes to get the console loose of all the retaining clips and positioned out of the way as best I could with all the accessory plugs still connected. Spent nearly an hour trying to unplug those #%&@! things before finally giving up. Took about 10 minutes to saw off the pawl, then another 15 minutes to put the console back in place.
Old 05-26-2022, 04:34 PM
HBsurfer
Le Mans Master

Received 1,108 Likes on 708 Posts

I just cut the pawl off. Total time spent was less than 30 minutes. There are some good YouTube videos that will show you how to easily remove the console.
Old 05-26-2022, 04:53 PM
SixAddict
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,120 Likes on 765 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

Just had this issue myself. Was wishing I would have done it while replacing the head unit. I just pulled the pawl all the way back and zip tied it. Done.
The following users liked this post:
leebay (05-31-2022)
Old 05-26-2022, 04:57 PM
1320#me
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Thanks for all the input! Looking forward to putting this little problem behind me and get on with some driving.
Old 05-26-2022, 06:53 PM
bobeyoung
Racer

Received 167 Likes on 96 Posts

This has some pretty good info.
Old 05-30-2022, 04:33 AM
Holster Maker
Instructor

Received 29 Likes on 21 Posts

Thanks for all the input! Looking forward to putting this little problem behind me and get on with some driving.
Good luck and you will be a lot less stressful in drive thoughts. Very easy job, you are only disabling the FMVSS #114 Theft and Rollaway Prevention devise from 9-1-2010 law, which locks the shifter in park when the car is parked. Now it can be moved into any gear, but only starts in park and neutral position, just like the old days. Everything else is the same as before, still have to press the brake, the neutral safety switch is still intact. No, it won't start in gear and this law was for kids pulling the gear into neutral and causing rollaways, and also prevents someone from towing it away after breaking in and putting trans in neutral. Now tell me what manuals do....apply park brake and now you should always apply it. Automatics were kind of picked on for this law. It is nice to be able to put it in neutral for moving in the garage or whatever. Manual have to press the clutch to start and we have to press the brake, But have no park lock. Enjoy your new stress free car. Also just use some diagonal cutters for the cutoff job, a lot easier.

Last edited by Holster Maker; 05-30-2022 at 04:38 AM.
Old 05-30-2022, 09:43 AM
cmonkey713
Race Director

Received 1,259 Likes on 920 Posts

Took me maybe an hour from start to finish.
Old 05-30-2022, 06:54 PM
1320#me
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Having a really hard time getting this off. it seems like it is going to break as I try to pry it up. Any Ideas???
Old 05-31-2022, 02:09 PM
Squeaky Wheel
Burning Brakes

Are you just using that screwdriver? If so, maybe try something with a broader tip. They make hard plastic trim removal tools for that purpose. Harbor Freight has a kit with an assortment of them for under $10 I think. That’s what I used.
Old 05-31-2022, 02:21 PM
leebay
Drifting

Received 614 Likes on 387 Posts

Having a really hard time getting this off. it seems like it is going to break as I try to pry it up. Any Ideas???
That will work but trim tools are better and the Tombstone is held on tight by two clips making you think its gonna break.
Old 05-31-2022, 02:23 PM
Gman in NC
Melting Slicks

Received 136 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by HBsurfer
I just cut the pawl off. Total time spent was less than 30 minutes. There are some good YouTube videos that will show you how to easily remove the console.
I agree. Cut mine off years ago and no problems since. Why tie it back, it's not going to ever be reliable again?
Carvone (06-02-2022)
Old 05-31-2022, 05:46 PM
1320#me
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Thanks for all the replies. I will buy some trim tools and tear it apart. I just wanted to be sure before I made things worse!
Old 06-01-2022, 09:35 PM
1320#me
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

I bought the trim tools from Harbor Freight today and this is much better than the screwdriver but it will not come off. The lower part will flex out but the top by the switch refuses to budge. This was about to break so I stopped. At a loss for my next move.
Old 06-01-2022, 11:23 PM
SixAddict
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,120 Likes on 765 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

Previous owner may have broken tabs and glued tombstone back in place? Unless you are the original owner.?

Just guessing here.

I know removing center console or dash for the first time I was nervous here things snap, crackle, pop……
like2lean (06-22-2022)

Get notified of new replies

To Shifter Repair Time

Old 06-02-2022, 07:16 AM
1320#me
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Second owner. Hard to say but this car was very stock when I bought it from his kid after he passed. I have had it for 9 years and the tags in the glovebox are still there as well as other Items that would be on a car that would be as delivered when new. It had only 18,000 miles on it then, Not to say something could have happened to it but I would be surprised if it was removed before. I have worked on many cars through out my life so this is not something that should be giving me trouble but it is. maybe someone can shoot a quick video of theirs being removed and post it here.One with a switch for the Selective Ride switch as others have just shown the one without which is just a cover. It might be the same i guess.
Old 06-02-2022, 07:54 AM
Squeaky Wheel
Burning Brakes

Mine was an 08 with the selective ride control, but the selector switch was a bit different. Was just a round **** with a chrome ring. However, I didn’t have to remove it and if I recall, their is no tombstone on the 08 or later models. (I’ve since sold the car) When I loosened the console, I was able to raise it enough to gain access to the pawl with the little saw I mentioned earlier. Just had to also carefully slip the leather boot away from its base.

Edited to add…..WRT the boot,. Actually, on second thought, I’m not sure if I even had to pull it away from the base. I do recall having to pull the boot up the shifter a bit to get in there. Was able to get a finger on the pawl and move it back and forth. With the screws removed and the console free from the dash, when I raised it I had about 8-10” of slack in all the wiring. There is a little red or orange pin that you must be careful not to break off. It fits into a slot in the gear position indicator that slides back and forth between Park, reverse, neutral etc to show which gear you’re in.

Last edited by Squeaky Wheel; 06-02-2022 at 08:26 AM. Reason: Added info
Old 06-03-2022, 11:51 AM
Squeaky Wheel
Burning Brakes

Any luck getting your tombstone removed? If not, thinking that after removing the console screws at the back end and on the lower right side around the parking brake, you may be able to then pull the console away from the dash enough to gain access to the bottom side of the tombstone or selective ride control switch and either push it out from there or simply unplug it leaving the tombstone in place. May even be able to do as I did and get to the pawl to try and cut it or tie it back. Fingers crossed and wishing you good luck.

Quick Reply: Shifter Repair Time