C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Shifter Repair Time

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2022, 02:13 PM
New Vette Man
Instructor

Received 30 Likes on 15 Posts

Just maybe, if you can pull up on the selector switch itself and see if that comes off, maybe there’s a nut holding the select drive down? 🤷‍♂️
Old 06-03-2022, 03:18 PM
1320#me
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 149 Likes on 97 Posts

I have not got it loose but I am going to try your idea and see if I can get lifted up enough to get at it. Thanks. I did try to just take the **** off but no luck.
Old 06-03-2022, 03:31 PM
2008 Corvette
Melting Slicks

Received 766 Likes on 538 Posts
2020 C6 of the Year Finalist - Modified
C6 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

Did you remove the 2 screws on the right side by the e brake ?
Old 06-03-2022, 03:40 PM
1320#me
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

I have removed them. After watching the video I have been stuck at getting the tombstone out as it seems there are two screws to remove there as well. I am going to try to lift up on the counsel without removing it per the above post. Been a busy week at work so I have not had much time this week. North St. Paul car show tonight. Anoka car show Saturday night and the All GM car show Sunday afternoon. shooting for Sunday late afternoon to try it. Thanks again for all the ideas!
Old 06-04-2022, 12:21 PM
thoffman2000
Advanced

Received 31 Likes on 11 Posts
2023 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

Originally Posted by bobeyoung
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sxWp5z4GWyk
This has some pretty good info.
I'm working on mine today. All done except reassembly. Easy peazy so far. But, does anyone have a video on how to get the shifter boot tucked back in between the plastic bezel and the light up gear position indicator? Does it simply tuck with a small blade type tool? The video above doesn't show this part of reassembly. It was a PITA pulling the boot out of there to begin with as it was originally tucked and glued.

Thanks for any help!
T

Edit: Actually found my answer in a C5 shifter boot replacement video. The video above shows that you should gentle rip the boot out of the space around the gear position indicator. DO NOT DO THIS! Instead, the boot is glued to a plastic piece that snaps in place with 2 clips, one in front and one in rear. Simply unclip the plastic piece from these 2 locations and remove it with the boot material leaving the glue intact. Then when you reassemble, simply clip it back down. If you rip it out like the above video shows, you'll have to remove the plastic piece anyway and reglue it to the boot material. I wish I had known this before....live and learn.
T

Last edited by thoffman2000; 06-04-2022 at 01:06 PM.
The following users liked this post:
1320#me (06-21-2022)
Old 06-04-2022, 01:03 PM
Jimmy W1
Melting Slicks

Received 55 Likes on 48 Posts

I just took mine to the dealer a few years ago and had them put in a new shifter. I think it was less than $300 for the shifter. Plus labor. It's been working great ever since. But good luck with yours. I almost did mine the way you are doing yours.
Old 06-04-2022, 05:00 PM
thoffman2000
Advanced

Received 31 Likes on 11 Posts
2023 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

Originally Posted by 1320#me
I have removed them. After watching the video I have been stuck at getting the tombstone out as it seems there are two screws to remove there as well. I am going to try to lift up on the counsel without removing it per the above post. Been a busy week at work so I have not had much time this week. North St. Paul car show tonight. Anoka car show Saturday night and the All GM car show Sunday afternoon. shooting for Sunday late afternoon to try it. Thanks again for all the ideas!

I know this probably isn't all that helpful, but this is what my 2005 looks like (without the selective ride control ****). IIRC, the first time I removed it, it came off VERY hard (so hard I thought I was going to break it) and the little green metal clips ended up coming off and falling down inside. After fishing them out and putting them back where they belong on the tombstone piece, I couldn't get them to snap back in. It was like they were too big for the holes. I ended up bending them just a bit to make them smaller. Now they are somewhat loose and the tombstone pops right off. There are 2 screws under there.
T
Old 06-05-2022, 09:45 AM
Squeaky Wheel
Burning Brakes

Received 393 Likes on 244 Posts

Looks like the screws at the back end of the console are covered by the tombstone, so my suggestion to remove them and the others to lift the console up and access the area from below won’t be possible. Mine was an 08 and didn’t have the tombstone to deal with. Those screws in question were in plain view. Sorry. I’m sure you must be frustrated.
Old 06-21-2022, 10:33 PM
1320#me
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Hello and thanks for the replies. It has been a busy Month but over the weekend I was able to clip off the tab. I could not get the tombstone to come off so I had to remove the counsel and glove box off as one which was not ideal but did work. My biggest problem was not being able to lift it up very far to unplug the Passenger air bag because of how it was installed as new. It is tucked up under a plastic plate for some unknown reason. I grew tired off laying on my back under the counsel and cut the wires and took the counsel out. I was able to get at the plug and remove it and soldered it back together! Good thing I have a lot of experience soldering with my RC trucks and cars...... Another fun hobby. After this it was very easy but the tombstone was not easy to separate even with it removed so I did not try very hard as there was no reason to. Thanks again!

Quick Reply: Shifter Repair Time