C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Very bumpy 40 mile commute @70mph, will a C6 Base beat me to death?

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2022, 07:58 PM
FAUEE
Race Director

Received 4,476 Likes on 2,815 Posts

The first thing I'd do is get some soft spring tires. People will tell you "herp depr Michelin" over and over again, but if you just want a nice tire, there's plenty that are more of a touring tire that will ride better for you.
Old 06-06-2022, 08:24 PM
CRB357
Racer

Received 57 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by FAUEE
The first thing I'd do is get some soft spring tires. People will tell you "herp depr Michelin" over and over again, but if you just want a nice tire, there's plenty that are more of a touring tire that will ride better for you.
Yeah the cushiest touring tire than performs great for rain would be my preference. We get a lot of rain down here, hard rain too. I need all the grip I can get in the wet.
Old 06-07-2022, 01:11 AM
HOXXOH
Race Director

Received 2,062 Likes on 1,506 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

Originally Posted by CRB357
Yeah the cushiest touring tire than performs great for rain would be my preference. We get a lot of rain down here, hard rain too. I need all the grip I can get in the wet.
Just because we don't get much rain in AZ ( about 1.5 " so far this year ), I tend to take road trips all over the USA. The 2 best all weather tires for me, are Nitto Invo's on my C6 and Continental Extreme contact DWS 06 plus on my C7 using C6 wheels.
Old 06-07-2022, 06:12 AM
Spaceme1117
Safety Car

Received 1,317 Likes on 889 Posts

Originally Posted by CRB357

Very nice. Really like the white.

Can definitely tell its Louisiana from all the bug juice on the front of the car.
Old 06-07-2022, 07:27 AM
CRB357
Racer

Yeah pretty buggy this time of year.

Is there a popular suspension shop that this forum supports?
Old 06-07-2022, 09:12 AM
acroy
Le Mans Master

Received 1,431 Likes on 858 Posts

Congratulations, glad to see you went & did it
The following users liked this post:
CRB357 (06-07-2022)
Old 06-07-2022, 09:40 AM
FAUEE
Race Director

Received 4,476 Likes on 2,815 Posts

Originally Posted by HOXXOH
Just because we don't get much rain in AZ ( about 1.5 " so far this year ), I tend to take road trips all over the USA. The 2 best all weather tires for me, are Nitto Invo's on my C6 and Continental Extreme contact DWS 06 plus on my C7 using C6 wheels.
I'll second the INVO as a great rain tire. It's quiet and fairly comfortable too. It's not a great performance tire, and it wears out VERY fast, but it is excellent in rain.
CRB357 (06-07-2022)
Old 06-07-2022, 11:13 PM
crawfish333
Melting Slicks

Received 292 Likes on 187 Posts
CI 6-7 & 9 Veteran

Congratulations on the new ride. If you decide to get active in the Corvette or special interest community around here, feel free to PM me and I can give you some information. I am a member of the Bayou State Corvette Club. We have a special meeting next week (Thursday night) at a local Specialty paint shop in Lafayette. They will have a demonstration after the meeting on sanding, buffing, and polishing. If you are interested in visiting as a guest, I am sure you would be welcome.
CRB357 (06-12-2022)
Old 06-08-2022, 02:27 PM
HOXXOH
Race Director

Received 2,062 Likes on 1,506 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

Originally Posted by FAUEE
I'll second the INVO as a great rain tire. It's quiet and fairly comfortable too. It's not a great performance tire, and it wears out VERY fast, but it is excellent in rain.
I got better than 30K miles from the first two sets of Invo's. Most likely, because of several 5 to 8 K road trips during that time, straight lines were the norm.
Old 06-12-2022, 08:47 PM
CRB357
Racer

Since the front Falken’s have a lot of tread left, I’m leaning towards the Falken Azenis FK510 rears. When those wear out, then I’ll have a better idea of how I’m using the car and pick tires to suit.

I spent most of yesterday cleaning out garage to make room for the car. I cleaned the K&N air filters which were filthy. Also had to drill holes and zip tie the filter covers bc the plastic catches were all broken off. They were literally just laying on top of the two filters😳

I lubed all the door & hatch hinges, fixed a few other little things. I’m about to go aim the headlights correctly once it gets a little darker.

Going to try and find a shop to replace the power steering high pressure line this week. I don’t have high hopes, but after researching it, it looks to be a big PIA.

After that, it will be the tires & rims, a brake job, along with refinishing the brake calipers and cleaning painting rotor hats. They are rusted pretty bad.

Cleaning MAF and Throttle Body after that, then rear view mirror. Diff and tranny at some point soon too.
Old 09-11-2022, 08:35 PM
CRB357
Racer

Whitey is coming along nicely. Banging through a few issues, but overall I’m still enjoying the experience.

Old 09-11-2022, 09:03 PM
CRB357
Racer

Car is holding up fine on my bumpy commute. It rides a lot better than I thought it would. Regular tires work great. I spent 6 hrs on each wheel refinishing them. I sanded the hell of them and used Dupont's Wheel Paint. 24 total hrs on that project. I'm a perfectionist and I put my heart into the prep work and the painting. I'm very happy with how they came out. I couldn't find any wheels that I liked. I liked the stocked 5 spoke look and just decided to restore them and make them the color I wanted. Which is a dark graphite color. Not black, but like a gunmetal color. Really set the car off in my eyes. I'm about to put some Bilstein B6 shocks on it. Looking forward to that. So far it's been fine as a Daily Driver. Fits golf clubs and most everything I've needed to haul around. I've had a few issues, but I've worked through them. Not super impressed with some of GM's engineering, but overall it is a wonderful car. The Corvette is the ultimate road trip car. It just eats up the miles and is so stable and comfortable at 75-80mph. Going to Pensecola at the end of the month and I'm looking forward to the drive. I drive it 100% of the time in Sport mode and in the last couple of weeks end up paddle shifting the entire time. It just feels proper and sounds so much better. It's becoming just habit to paddle shift. I haven't really had a problem with it being a 2 seater. I'm hoping to take it to a local drag strip in the next month or two. I want to make some runs without the worry of cops. I've been sort of lucky bc I've been hammering on it pretty good.

Anyhow, thanks again for all the pre purchase advice from all of you. I'm pretty happy after 3 1/2 months of driving my Corvette.
Old 09-12-2022, 04:49 AM
RodRamos
Advanced

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

How bumpy is "bumpy?" I find the car's suspension to be quite compliant, however acceptable levels of suspension feel is VERY subjective. The car isn't as plush as a Cadillac, but is more plush than a Ford Mustang.
Old 09-12-2022, 10:13 AM
CRB357
Racer

Originally Posted by RodRamos
How bumpy is "bumpy?" I find the car's suspension to be quite compliant, however acceptable levels of suspension feel is VERY subjective. The car isn't as plush as a Cadillac, but is more plush than a Ford Mustang.
Extremely. Words can't even describe this section of Hwy 90 in South La. Just have to experience it. Right lane is so beat up, everyone drives in left lane and passes in the right lane. I'm not joking either.

Quick Reply: Very bumpy 40 mile commute @70mph, will a C6 Base beat me to death?