C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil leak

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2022, 10:37 PM
Jbyellowc6
Heel & Toe

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Oil leak

So I noticed my oil pan was cover in oil and after further investigations I tracked it down. It was coming from the front passenger side of the pan. So I decided to replace the oil pan gasket. It wasn’t the hardest job I’ve ever done just very time consuming. A few days have gone by and I notice the oil is still leaking from the same area 😒 anyone ever have this happen? did I miss an important step? Could it be the timing cover that leaking? Any help is appreciated. Thanks.
Old 05-03-2022, 08:50 AM
cmonkey713
Race Director

Received 1,259 Likes on 920 Posts

I changed my oil pan gasket on my 2007after looking at a Youtube video I used Permatex Black gasket sealer on both sides before install and no more leaks. The leak issue seems to come from the pan corner sealer that GM uses dries out and begins to leak. Did not notice any leaks on my timing cover when I changed the pan gasket.
Old 05-03-2022, 04:14 PM
Spark 2
Burning Brakes

Received 49 Likes on 37 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07-'08-'09

Back in the day, they believed some of the oil pans were porous and actually replaced the pans.
Old 05-03-2022, 05:16 PM
Jbyellowc6
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by Spark 2
Back in the day, they believed some of the oil pans were porous and actually replaced the pans.
so they make an “upgraded” oil pan? Also do you know what years? My is an 09
Old 05-03-2022, 06:25 PM
cmonkey713
Race Director

Received 1,259 Likes on 920 Posts

Not aware of any "Upgraded" oil pan. The urban legend for "Porous" oil pans was just the OEM gaskets leaking and running down the sides of the pan. Dealers want about $900. to change the pan gasket, I did mine for about $80, but it took several hours having never done it before.Now I could most likely do it in about six hours having done it once before.
Old 05-03-2022, 06:52 PM
Spark 2
Burning Brakes

Received 49 Likes on 37 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07-'08-'09

Originally Posted by Jbyellowc6
so they make an “upgraded” oil pan? Also do you know what years? My is an 09
Sorry, but I don't know which years were involved. Mine is an 08 and I believe they replaced the oil pan
Old 05-03-2022, 07:47 PM
subfloor@centurytrans
Supporting Vendor

Received 777 Likes on 506 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (track prepared)
C6 of Year Winner (track prepared) 2019

So I noticed my oil pan was cover in oil and after further investigations I tracked it down. It was coming from the front passenger side of the pan. So I decided to replace the oil pan gasket. It wasn’t the hardest job I’ve ever done just very time consuming. A few days have gone by and I notice the oil is still leaking from the same area 😒 anyone ever have this happen? did I miss an important step? Could it be the timing cover that leaking? Any help is appreciated. Thanks.
Yeah, it definitely could be the front timing cover seal. I'd recommend adding UV dye to see where it's coming from. It doesn't work quite as well as you'd think but should give you a pretty good idea of where to look for the source of the leak.
Old 05-03-2022, 09:41 PM
Jbyellowc6
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by subfloor@centurytrans
Yeah, it definitely could be the front timing cover seal. I'd recommend adding UV dye to see where it's coming from. It doesn't work quite as well as you'd think but should give you a pretty good idea of where to look for the source of the leak.
yea I put the dye in and saw it glowing around the front passenger side and just assumed it was the oil pan. I really hope it’s not the timing cover. The previous owner had the harmonic balancer. He should have just replaced the timing cover gasket while he was at it. SMH.
Old 05-04-2022, 11:31 AM
torquetube
Le Mans Master

Received 655 Likes on 474 Posts

Did you apply dabs of RTV sealant at the four intersections of the cover gaskets (front and rear) with the pan gasket?
Old 05-04-2022, 12:03 PM
Jbyellowc6
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by torquetube
Did you apply dabs of RTV sealant at the four intersections of the cover gaskets (front and rear) with the pan gasket?
yes. I even put a little extra on the front section of the pan. Im guessing I should have just rtv’d both sides of the entire pan.
Old 03-02-2023, 02:31 PM
Idunnowmyname
Advanced

Received 24 Likes on 12 Posts

Well... If anyone is still paying attention to this thread, here is an update for you. I tore it back down and this is what I found. Video and Pix - I believe I damaged the new seal by removing it to install the alignment tool. And... I believe the ribs on the outer edge of the seal designed to seal and hold it tight inside the housing are worn off from it being installed, removed, and re-installed again.

I intend to put a new seal in it, install the flywheel, run it with open headers for at least 30 minutes to check it *before* putting everything back together.

Any thoughts or disagreements from any of you? Thanks in advance!

Video -

Pix

Old 03-04-2023, 06:17 PM
Idunnowmyname
Advanced

Received 24 Likes on 12 Posts

It's fixed. Replacing just the rear main seal fixed it. I must have damaged the *new* seal that came pre-installed in the new rear cover. I removed it to install the alignment tool. Once replaced, it's bone dry, even after a 450 mile trip in the car yesterday.

Cheers and thanks guys!
The following users liked this post:
JackDidley (03-04-2023)
Old 03-04-2023, 06:29 PM
ClothSeats
Drifting

Received 797 Likes on 515 Posts

Originally Posted by Idunnowmyname
It's fixed. Replacing just the rear main seal fixed it. I must have damaged the *new* seal that came pre-installed in the new rear cover. I removed it to install the alignment tool. Once replaced, it's bone dry, even after a 450 mile trip in the car yesterday.

Cheers and thanks guys!
Glad you got it fixed. I don't know where you bought that rear cover with the pre-installed seal in it, but they obviously aren't well informed on the process for installing a new cover and seal. If I were you, I would call them and complain and ask them to refund you the cost of a new seal, if not your labor to do the job the second time.

Get notified of new replies

To Oil leak

Quick Reply: Oil leak