C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LG G1 sway bar keeps hitting stock NPP exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2022, 10:15 AM
herwawan
Racer

Received 140 Likes on 72 Posts
Default LG G1 sway bar keeps hitting stock NPP exhaust

I'd like to know others’ experience with the LG G1 sway bar with the stock NPP exhaust.

Mine has barely any clearance and keeps hitting the mufflers even though my shop replaced the 4x rubber exhaust hanger with new ones from GM. See the picture below:

LG’s recommandation is to dent the bottom the mufflers but I’m not a fan of that idea at all. I’m not a fan of hearing the mufflers hitting the sway bar constantly either though.

Thoughts?

Last edited by herwawan; 04-02-2022 at 02:44 PM.
Old 04-02-2022, 10:17 AM
2008 Corvette
Melting Slicks

Received 766 Likes on 538 Posts
2020 C6 of the Year Finalist - Modified
C6 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019
Default Lg

Old 04-02-2022, 11:58 AM
SugarMouth
Intermediate

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

Can you slot the sway bar mounts and drop enough to clear? Exhaust hangers tired, maybe install new ones?
Old 04-02-2022, 12:01 PM
wjnjr
Melting Slicks

Received 921 Likes on 578 Posts
2023 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2022 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

I've had the LG sway bars on my Z06 for several years now and have not had any problems with the rear bar hitting the mufflers. Whoever installed your sway bar didn't get it quite right.

There's a couple of things I see wrong in the picture. First, the sway bar is not centered, it needs to move to the left a little. Second, the mufflers are too low and a bit too far apart. And possibly not centered either, although you can't tell from the picture.

Your shop should be able to correct all that. If they can't figure it out, you can do it yourself. (And maybe try another shop next time)

Start by centering the sway bar. Then, the final muffler positions are set by tweaking the hanger rods on the mufflers as necessary, after loosening the forward pipe clamps of course.

Hope this helps, good luck and don't forget to post the fix.

Last edited by wjnjr; 04-02-2022 at 12:13 PM.
Old 04-02-2022, 02:36 PM
herwawan
Racer

Originally Posted by SugarMouth
Can you slot the sway bar mounts and drop enough to clear? Exhaust hangers tired, maybe install new ones?
The exhaust hangers were just replaced by new GM's!

Originally Posted by wjnjr
I've had the LG sway bars on my Z06 for several years now and have not had any problems with the rear bar hitting the mufflers. Whoever installed your sway bar didn't get it quite right.

There's a couple of things I see wrong in the picture. First, the sway bar is not centered, it needs to move to the left a little. Second, the mufflers are too low and a bit too far apart. And possibly not centered either, although you can't tell from the picture.

Your shop should be able to correct all that. If they can't figure it out, you can do it yourself. (And maybe try another shop next time)

Start by centering the sway bar. Then, the final muffler positions are set by tweaking the hanger rods on the mufflers as necessary, after loosening the forward pipe clamps of course.

Hope this helps, good luck and don't forget to post the fix.
Great feedback, thanks. Centering it should indeed clear the lateral contact. I'll share the directions for the adjustments of the hanger rods - hopefully, it fixes it! I'll report back ASAP.
Old 04-07-2022, 08:31 PM
B y r o n
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Not sure if this will help but this is my install
of Johnny O'Connell bars on my GS.

Old 04-08-2022, 07:36 AM
StayinStock
Safety Car

Received 3,360 Likes on 1,631 Posts
2024 Corvette of the Year Finalist - Modified
2023 C6 of the Year Winner - Modified
2022 C6 of the Year Finalist - Modified

Mines the same way with my LG... but to be fair even my stock one rubbed the right muffler so I assume it was more of an exhaust alignment problem than a sway bar problem... I just cant seem to figure out where the adjustment to bring them up is.
Old 04-08-2022, 10:44 AM
herwawan
Racer

Originally Posted by B y r o n
Not sure if this will help but this is my install my install of Johnny O'Connell bars on my GS.
ha, yeah it fits nice and easy. LG’s a bit different tho I think?

Originally Posted by StayInStock
Mines the same way with my LG... but to be fair even my stock one rubbed the right muffler so I assume it was more of an exhaust alignment problem than a sway bar problem... I just cant seem to figure out where the adjustment to bring them up is.
Yeah the alignment of the exhaust seems to be part of the issue… but the LG part also since they recommend to literally dent the mufflers. My shop is looking into it this week, I hope they’ll figure something out. I can’t stand that noise.
Old 04-08-2022, 10:44 AM
B y r o n
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Sounds like your only option is to loosen the whole exhaust system. Rotate the pieces to get the best vertical position. Once it is as high as possible lock it down. A small gain here and a small gain there could give you the needed clearance at the rear.
Old 04-08-2022, 10:53 AM
StayinStock
Safety Car

Received 3,360 Likes on 1,631 Posts
2024 Corvette of the Year Finalist - Modified
2023 C6 of the Year Winner - Modified
2022 C6 of the Year Finalist - Modified

Originally Posted by herwawan
ha, yeah it fits nice and easy. LG’s a bit different tho I think?

Yeah the alignment of the exhaust seems to be part of the issue… but the LG part also since they recommend to literally dent the mufflers. My shop is looking into it this week, I hope they’ll figure something out. I can’t stand that noise.
Let us know what you come up with! best of luck!
Old 04-08-2022, 10:27 PM
herwawan
Racer

Alright so my shop adjusted the rear sway bar - it is now centered so no more contact on the sides. Progress!

Unfortunately, there doesn’t seem to be a way to adjust the brackets or the hangers up so the mufflers still make contact with the bar at the very bottom

Seems like the frequency of the contact is much better so there’s improvement but it still makes contract on the bottom.

It would’ve been great if LG could warm their customers before they buy the product so at least they know what to expect, and a better fix than “denting the mufflers”.
Old 04-15-2022, 04:00 AM
trapvette
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

My z51 sway bar would always hit my NPPs.
Old 08-14-2022, 03:55 AM
Ls3.avais
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by trapvette
My z51 sway bar would always hit my NPPs.
what did you do to fix that issue. Seems like my driver side npp muffler is barley touching the sway bar . And sitting at idle I can hear it rattling from inside the car.
Old 08-15-2022, 11:17 AM
AQWIKZ
Pro

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Another option along with everything adjusted. Use zip ties around the exhaust hangers, this will move exhaust just enough. I did that and have not had any issues.

Get notified of new replies

To LG G1 sway bar keeps hitting stock NPP exhaust

Quick Reply: LG G1 sway bar keeps hitting stock NPP exhaust