C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone have these replacement headlights?

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2022, 12:12 AM
dwcsjca
Intermediate
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Anyone have these replacement headlights?

Just bought a 2012 GS and am looking to replace the fogged headlights, keeping the cost to a reasonable level (the car was <$30K). I like the Morimoto's, but at $1500, that would be >5% of the cost of the car. Anzo's headlights is a possibility, but I also saw the ones below on eBay, from seller "Unique Style Racing". Does anyone out there have these? They use the original HID lights and ballast (you swap yours in). I don't care about lack of LED/brightness, just want the C7-like DRL and non-foggy lenses. Thanks!

Old 03-27-2022, 09:01 AM
briankhughes
Intermediate

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Headlights

Don't go cheap. You'll definitely regret it.
The following 4 users liked this post by briankhughes:
BigBilll (03-31-2022), BluegrassMotorsport (03-27-2022), BMF_C6 (03-28-2022), CaptBuddy (03-27-2022)
Old 03-27-2022, 11:30 AM
madsonp
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,762 Likes on 1,171 Posts

Somethings to consider, what's the warranty on them, are they DOT approved ? Morimotos have a 5 year warranty, and are DOT approved.
The following users liked this post:
NBVette_Canada (03-29-2022)
Old 03-27-2022, 01:01 PM
Iowa
Burning Brakes

Received 470 Likes on 263 Posts

I don't have experience with these, but typically these cheap lights don't work as intended. I bought a set of cheaper lights for my silverado and put led bulbs in them. They were super bright, but the light was all over the place and the driving at night experience was horrible. I sold those at a loss and bought the morimotos. Buying something for the sole reason of saving a few bucks rarely works.
The following 2 users liked this post by Iowa:
2008 Corvette (03-27-2022), Jeff T. (03-27-2022)
Old 03-27-2022, 01:07 PM
81VETTOM
Pro

Received 73 Likes on 63 Posts

After using the Morimotos I would never use anything else. Yes, these are not cheap, but safety improvement at night is without question IMHO I also added the fog lights too. Buy once Cry once.
Old 03-27-2022, 04:29 PM
Jeff T.
Race Director

Received 1,094 Likes on 800 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

Originally Posted by 81VETTOM
Buy once Cry once.

Old 03-27-2022, 04:57 PM
MikalMuh
Instructor

Received 48 Likes on 32 Posts

I tried the cheaper lights, but from a different seller. They did not work. Returned them for a full refund and got the morimotos on sale during Thanksgiving from Vette Lights.
BMF_C6 (03-28-2022)
Old 03-27-2022, 07:10 PM
Pander
Instructor

Received 62 Likes on 39 Posts

I almost pulled the trigger on those lights because of the price but I researched and found those cheap lights have huge quality control issues. I ended up biting the bullet and going for the Morimotos due to their proven track record and 5 year warranty.
Old 03-27-2022, 07:51 PM
leebay
Drifting

Received 612 Likes on 385 Posts

I can understand you not wanting to spend the $$$ on new headlights at this time, have you considered sanding & buffing out the factory headlights? I have done a few sets and they buff out like new. Thats always a option to consider.
The following 2 users liked this post by leebay:
NBVette_Canada (03-29-2022), rgibson214 (03-28-2022)
Old 03-27-2022, 08:19 PM
groundstrike
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by leebay
I can understand you not wanting to spend the $$$ on new headlights at this time, have you considered sanding & buffing out the factory headlights? I have done a few sets and they buff out like new. Thats always a option to consider.
Consider replacing the lenses also. It is a cheaper way to get clear lenses. Labor intensive though.
NBVette_Canada (03-29-2022)
Old 03-28-2022, 12:00 AM
dwcsjca
Intermediate
Support Corvetteforum!

Thanks for all the great feedback! I generally agree that you get what you pay for and in this case there's risk in trying to economize. But in my situation, there are a few cosmetic restorations and several service/maintenance items I'd like to do with the car and I need to keep it within an overall budget. Going with Morimotos would mean dropping some other item(s) off the list.

I think I'll pass on the units sold by "USR". I was mistaken when I said it uses the stock car's HID light and ballast (this is the case with the Anzo headlights). The 60 day warranty, with LED headlight and ballast from unknown sources, push the risk needle a little too far for me.

At this point I'm considering the Anzo units as they would repurpose key parts of my current/proven headlights (HID lamp and ballast) and I've seen more info from users on-line with the Anzos than on the units sold by USR. Second choice would be to keep the original headlights and buff them. But I really like the look of the LED DRLs on the updated headlights.

Old 03-28-2022, 12:09 AM
rgibson214
Advanced

Received 37 Likes on 19 Posts

LED DRLs are a fad, like the Internet
Old 03-28-2022, 06:50 AM
449er
Race Director

Received 4,731 Likes on 3,009 Posts
2023 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2022 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2021 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

Originally Posted by briankhughes
Don't go cheap. You'll definitely regret it.
Cheap isn't good & good isn't cheap
Old 03-28-2022, 08:11 AM
Joe0121
Race Director

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06

Originally Posted by madsonp
Somethings to consider, what's the warranty on them, are they DOT approved ? Morimotos have a 5 year warranty, and are DOT approved.
And IMO look better
madsonp (03-28-2022)
Old 03-28-2022, 10:02 AM
madsonp
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,762 Likes on 1,171 Posts

Originally Posted by Joe0121
And IMO look better
Old 03-28-2022, 10:58 AM
JABCAT
Race Director

Received 8,868 Likes on 4,271 Posts
2020 C6 of the Year Winner - Modified

If you don’t want to purchase the Morimotos, you can refurbish your lights fairly inexpensively. New lenses & gaskets should run you about $200 @umnitza & you can get new ballasts pretty cheap (I picked up 2 OEM ballasts new for $80 on eBay), and new HID bulbs from @VetteLights. You’ll have to r&r the lenses on your current lights which is a pain, but really not all that difficult. Paint the buckets black while you’re in there, if they aren’t already.

The following 2 users liked this post by JABCAT:
NBVette_Canada (03-29-2022), She_Thicc (03-28-2022)
Old 03-28-2022, 11:00 AM
Iowa
Burning Brakes

Received 470 Likes on 263 Posts

Originally Posted by dwcsjca
Thanks for all the great feedback! I generally agree that you get what you pay for and in this case there's risk in trying to economize. But in my situation, there are a few cosmetic restorations and several service/maintenance items I'd like to do with the car and I need to keep it within an overall budget. Going with Morimotos would mean dropping some other item(s) off the list.

I think I'll pass on the units sold by "USR". I was mistaken when I said it uses the stock car's HID light and ballast (this is the case with the Anzo headlights). The 60 day warranty, with LED headlight and ballast from unknown sources, push the risk needle a little too far for me.

At this point I'm considering the Anzo units as they would repurpose key parts of my current/proven headlights (HID lamp and ballast) and I've seen more info from users on-line with the Anzos than on the units sold by USR. Second choice would be to keep the original headlights and buff them. But I really like the look of the LED DRLs on the updated headlights.
The chances are high that you will be disappointed with the light output of those DRLs. They typically use cheaper lighting. Obviously only you know your situation, but if money is tight I would suggest saving for the morimotos. I just purchased them last week. Certainly not happy with spending that much, but they are 10% off and these other lights just don't compare. Good luck to you with whatever you decide.

Get notified of new replies

To Anyone have these replacement headlights?

Old 03-28-2022, 07:18 PM
info@umnitza.com
Supporting Vendor

Received 330 Likes on 264 Posts

Just bought a 2012 GS and am looking to replace the fogged headlights, keeping the cost to a reasonable level (the car was <$30K). I like the Morimoto's, but at $1500, that would be >5% of the cost of the car. Anzo's headlights is a possibility, but I also saw the ones below on eBay, from seller "Unique Style Racing". Does anyone out there have these? They use the original HID lights and ballast (you swap yours in). I don't care about lack of LED/brightness, just want the C7-like DRL and non-foggy lenses. Thanks!
Please allow me. USR has been around only nearly as long as we have. They have been one of the most exclusive providers of DEPO based headlights for US and Euro styles.
This is a Xenon based headlight that requires you to remove your existing bulbs and ballasts. the DRL and the sequential LED turn signal is the only reason to buy them.
DEPO lenses generally over time are not great, they tend to craze on lights that are not in direct sunlight regularly, not sure what the issue would be for C6 style lights that get the worst of the sun hitting them at all times.
I cannot comment specifically about this one as we are getting one into stock to check it out.
The immediate pros are the price and the DRL/Amber Turn, the cons are that you are staying with Xenon and ultimately to get the better light output, you'll need to transfer your old parts. That said, this provides you a very good foundation from which to improve the light output further at a slightly reduced price - like opening the lights and installing a Bi-LED projector and coming to within $100-200 of the Morimoto C7 style.

There is a special going on right on on the Morimoto @ 10% off which is pretty significant from the $1468.10 normal price. I'll DM you details if you are interested.

Originally Posted by madsonp
99% of all DEPO headlights come with a "flexible" 1 year warranty. They are DOT approved, however they are NO match for the C7 Morimoto or the C8 Gtr Carbide units in MANY other aspects.
Though output and pattern is still TBD.

Originally Posted by SLO Z51
I almost pulled the trigger on those lights because of the price but I researched and found those cheap lights have huge quality control issues. I ended up biting the bullet and going for the Morimotos due to their proven track record and 5 year warranty.
You may be confusing these with Anzo/Eagle Eyes based lights, those are definitely no comparison even to the DEPO which are much higher quality build production across their full range of products.

Originally Posted by leebay
Generally the level of crazing most C6s experience will be fine 1 or 2 times for buffing and polish, but it's always better to just install new lenses.
We have free Butyl with every lens order going on now.
https://www.umnitza.com/chevrolet-co...ht-lenses.html

No, they are non-LED headlights. the USR lights and Anzo lights both use existing HID ballasts. They are not full LED.
You have DM.

Originally Posted by Iowa
The chances are high that you will be disappointed with the light output of those DRLs. They typically use cheaper lighting. Obviously only you know your situation, but if money is tight I would suggest saving for the morimotos. I just purchased them last week. Certainly not happy with spending that much, but they are 10% off and these other lights just don't compare. Good luck to you with whatever you decide.
DEPO lights are pretty good with DRL, they are bright, probably on par with any of the items in the market. All the vendors borrow from each other in terms of sourcing the parts, the real issue isn't the DRL or necessarily the design.
The real issue is you aren't getting a great warranty nor are you getting an all in one solution that just plugs in.

Old 04-30-2022, 11:56 PM
dwcsjca
Intermediate
Support Corvetteforum!

Just to close the circle on this thread, in the end I went with the group's advice and went with the Morimotos, enabled by a very good price from Umnitza. I was planning to do the installation myself, but Umnitza offered a price I couldn't refuse, so I had them installed today at their shop in Murietta (California). Overall, my experience with Umnitza was great. The installation was done by Adam- he was very careful, didn't rush it, and spent extra time to dial in the fit. The whole process was zero customer stress.

What do I do with the original headlights?

Thanks to all for helping me make the right decision!

Before/after pix below.

Yep, have new front splitter in a box; waiting for a free weekend to install

Old 05-01-2022, 12:04 AM
Varrstoen
Heel & Toe

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

dont cheap out..morimoto is always the way to go when it comes to warranty and quality

Quick Reply: Anyone have these replacement headlights?