C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dealer crashed my C6

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2022, 06:05 AM
v4e2r7t
Instructor

Received 56 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by ruxvette
the op settled with his insurance. Game over. Case closed.
That was three years ago, not this op.

Three years ago
Old 02-03-2022, 01:05 PM
Catfish4818
Melting Slicks

Received 2,025 Likes on 1,035 Posts

This is a horrible situation. Glad that it seems that no-one was seriously injured.

If I was the dealer, I'd feel terrible and I'd be bending over backwards to see what it would take to make this right with the owner. Maybe a newer C6 with less miles, maybe a C7.

And in a nutshell, that's why I'm not a car dealer...
Old 02-03-2022, 03:14 PM
redzg
Melting Slicks

Received 665 Likes on 533 Posts

Originally Posted by Topduarte
05's require the gear in reverse when u turn off car. GM eliminated this in 06.
Regardless of the reverse vs a forward gear, the clutch interlock switch will prevent starting without a foot on the clutch. Seems like just about everyone has forgotten how to park a car, i.e. with the parking brake engaged. Mistake that has killed before, and sounds like it almost killed this time too.
Old 02-03-2022, 05:40 PM
Dano523
Race Director

Received 3,028 Likes on 2,182 Posts

Originally Posted by redzg
Regardless of the reverse vs a forward gear, the clutch interlock switch will prevent starting without a foot on the clutch. .
Yes, and no, since the interlock can be turned off in the tune to allow the car to start without having to push in the clutch, as well as the switch going bad and allowing continuity through it, even when not depressed by the pedal.

Old 02-03-2022, 06:50 PM
Purple92
Melting Slicks

Received 786 Likes on 541 Posts

As several others have said - that is a LOT of damage, and there is surely more hidden unseen damage.

If the dealer is going to fix the car - he's going to do it as inexpensively as possible. Is that what you want ???

I'd listen to what the dealer had to say, and think about any offers made - but if it were me I'd ask for:

1. Replacement C6 in same color, in equal or better condition, and with equal or lower mileage.
2. A C6 or C7 Loaner - to use until your "Replacement" C6 is available.
3. A letter signed by the dealership owner agreeing to pay in full for any medial or other claims any other party may bring due to this incident. (e. the worker who was dragged gets fired for some reason,and decides to sue anyone who has $$$ - that would involve you.)

Old 02-03-2022, 06:59 PM
ls1121
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 319 Likes on 225 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14-'15

I was sitting at a light and some women hit & ran me. When the police arrived the accident read "about $500 damage to the rear bumper cover". After the body shop removed the bumper cover.............. The insurance company gave me almost $8000 for repairs, and I did not get my door ripped off. Just something to think about.
Old 02-03-2022, 07:21 PM
Klawp
Drifting

Received 855 Likes on 476 Posts

Originally Posted by ls1121
I was sitting at a light and some women hit & ran me. When the police arrived the accident read "about $500 damage to the rear bumper cover". After the body shop removed the bumper cover.............. The insurance company gave me almost $8000 for repairs, and I did not get my door ripped off. Just something to think about.
Yep. Guess how much this was? Roughly 7 grand..

Old 02-03-2022, 07:31 PM
z06clif
Le Mans Master

Received 383 Likes on 307 Posts

As in any accident ....what you see isnt all that is wrong. It wont be discovered until parts are removed . Dont trust them to let you know all that is wrong

Clif
Old 02-03-2022, 07:42 PM
Topduarte
Safety Car

Received 835 Likes on 548 Posts

My son's girlfriend's 2016 Fusion as in an accident and the estimator came up with about $6k in damage.

By the time the body shop was done tearing it apart it was over $11k.

Hope you able to solve this problem quick.
Old 02-03-2022, 09:35 PM
j-budimlya
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Default Sorry!

I had a very clean ‘08 that was hit when I was stopped. Even after a very well done repair….it never seemed to be the same to me! I would get rid of it now, avoid all the grief of trying to have it repaired “like new” and move on to another car!
there are lots of wonderful cars available. Take your time and enjoy the process of shopping.
I’m guessing they will try to squeeze you how much you get for it….if I’m right, get a lawyer and let him deal with them….save yourself the grief of trying to negotiate it yourself.
Old 02-03-2022, 09:43 PM
buckmeister2
Le Mans Master

Received 1,206 Likes on 824 Posts

Originally Posted by slothman
WRONG. you can buy it back !!!!!
WRONG??? WTH you talking about? Where did I say he could not buy it back? Where did I even address that issue. I think you are responding to someone else...
Old 02-04-2022, 05:19 AM
bikeriderga
Melting Slicks

Received 196 Likes on 159 Posts

No way I would accept that car back under any conditions. A Corvette with that amount of damage in a resale situation is going to cost you anywhere from a $5,000 - $9,000 dollar drop in resale value.

I would demand fair market price (at today's prices) for the car that they have basically destroyed.
The following users liked this post:
Blackship (02-04-2022)
Old 02-04-2022, 06:01 AM
Blackship
Instructor

Received 55 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by bikeriderga
No way I would accept that car back under any conditions. A Corvette with that amount of damage in a resale situation is going to cost you anywhere from a $5,000 - $9,000 dollar drop in resale value.

I would demand fair market price (at today's prices) for the car that they have basically destroyed.
Yessir !!!
Old 02-04-2022, 08:44 AM
JayhawkCPA
Racer

Received 134 Likes on 96 Posts

There are always some interesting, dramatic, responses to these type of threads. Sounds like the dealer wants to make this right, I would give them the opportunity to. I also don't see this as much of a negotiation, the dealer has insurance and it will pay out what it will pay out if you go that route, anything on top would be out of the kindness of the dealers heart, so play it cool... Unless you're particularly connected to the car, I think the upgrade option on trade in could be a good if the numbers make sense...say give you retail value on your '05 (without damage) and a good deal on whatever you want...the dealer would probably like to avoid turning this in on their insurance, and their deductible is probably $10K+ minimum so they are coming out pocket either way...I would think they would prefer a deal that would make it like it never happened.

Last edited by JayhawkCPA; 02-04-2022 at 09:05 AM.
novaks47 (03-13-2022)
Old 02-04-2022, 03:44 PM
wood78221
Racer

Received 39 Likes on 28 Posts

I hope they make it right.
Old 02-04-2022, 07:25 PM
C5C6C7C8
Racer

Received 307 Likes on 174 Posts
Default Get all offers in writing.

Originally Posted by JayhawkCPA
There are always some interesting, dramatic, responses to these type of threads. Sounds like the dealer wants to make this right, I would give them the opportunity to. I also don't see this as much of a negotiation, the dealer has insurance and it will pay out what it will pay out if you go that route, anything on top would be out of the kindness of the dealers heart, so play it cool... Unless you're particularly connected to the car, I think the upgrade option on trade in could be a good if the numbers make sense...say give you retail value on your '05 (without damage) and a good deal on whatever you want...the dealer would probably like to avoid turning this in on their insurance, and their deductible is probably $10K+ minimum so they are coming out pocket either way...I would think they would prefer a deal that would make it like it never happened.
Very intelligent analysis and advice by Jayhawks…. All I can add is get every offer in writing and make no verbal contract. Those usually go bad quickly. Make all counter offers in writing, by marking up and initialing your mark up. That should remove impulsive and emotional reactions and terms you might regret later.

Last edited by C5C6C7C8; 02-04-2022 at 07:32 PM. Reason: Adding information
Old 02-04-2022, 08:44 PM
ESAFO
Instructor

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Stand your ground you have absolutely nothing to lose & everything to gain, do not be in a hurry do you homework & know what you want before you enter in a close door meeting with the GM or possibly even the owner.
They have huge insurance policies this is a drop in the bucket to them, but the key ingredient is the internet this is where you have them by the gizzards.
Trust me the last thing a car dealer in a large city want's is to be drug through the mud over the internet with pics & facts.
Watch them trip over there own dix because they will, listen politely to all there BS offers & excuses for this happening because there will be many.
Then when the smoke settles you pipe in with your demands that are not open for discussion & when there jaws drop, you stand up to push your chair in & say so were all good here or will my lawyer be in contact with you.
Diamonddave60 (02-06-2022)

Get notified of new replies

To Dealer crashed my C6

Old 02-04-2022, 09:22 PM
spawrtan
Instructor

Received 54 Likes on 30 Posts

DO NOT ENTER DISCUSSIONS WITH THE DEALERSHIP ALONE! You need to work with a lawyer. There are bigger fish here to fry. The dealer will have consulted legal counsel in advance.

Do NOT try to do this alone. They damaged your property through negligence. They can never make your car "right" after such damage. You do NOT need to be alone in this.
Old 02-04-2022, 10:30 PM
buckmeister2
Le Mans Master

Received 1,206 Likes on 824 Posts

Spawtran, dealers are big boys, they do NOT want to involve GM legal counsel, or their insurance legal counsel, until they must. If they open up negotiations with legal counsel rep present, then the "future plaintiff" will be forced to retain counsel. You have to be smart in situations like this. Both parties should be smart enough to feel each other out, get a sense of what the damages may be, and see if it can be settled. Yes, dealer will have insurance coverage, but he will take a hit. If legal is involved, it could be a big hit, since the dealer was so egregiously involved.

It is freakin' free to talk to the dealer first. Unless you are a total idiot, you will allow that to happen. Jumping the gun to get an attorney in a situation which is minor, relative to what lawyers normally deal with, AND which DID NOT involve personal injury to the customer, could be the biggest mistake he could make. He can retain a lawyer anytime he wishes...it does not have to happen immediately.
The following 2 users liked this post by buckmeister2:
Fast Dawg (02-05-2022), novaks47 (03-13-2022)
Old 02-04-2022, 10:53 PM
ruxvette
Race Director

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,652 Likes on 2,360 Posts
2016 C6 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by buckmeister2
...It is freakin' free to talk to the dealer first. Unless you are a total idiot, you will allow that to happen...
Absolutely. Listen, don't talk, to the dealer. Go home and make a decision.
The following 4 users liked this post by ruxvette:
buckmeister2 (02-05-2022), Fast Dawg (02-05-2022), FAUEE (05-12-2022), sd45t2 (02-05-2022)

Quick Reply: Dealer crashed my C6