C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Battery discharge issue

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2022, 08:12 PM
mrk1957
Racer

Received 43 Likes on 40 Posts
Default Battery discharge issue

I'll do my best to make this short.
I have a 2013 GS, which I installed an aftermarket radio with a PAC interface. Not long after, the battery would go dead after 3 or so days. This went on a few months and was kind of random. I put the stock radio back in and the problem went away.
I called PAC tech support thinking the issue was with the interface. The tech said I may have pulled the stock radio before the car was totally "asleep". This would cause the bcm to forever search for the stock radio and draw enough current to drain the battery.
Has anyone experienced the same? I'd like to put the Kenwood back in. Would anyone know how I know I get the bcm out of that search mode for sure?
Thanks for reading
Old 01-19-2022, 08:27 PM
madsonp
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,766 Likes on 1,173 Posts

Originally Posted by mrk1957
I have a 2013 GS, which I installed an aftermarket radio with a PAC interface. Not long after, the battery would go dead after 3 or so days. This went on a few months and was kind of random. I put the stock radio back in and the problem went away.
I called PAC tech support thinking the issue was with the interface. The tech said I may have pulled the stock radio before the car was totally "asleep". This would cause the bcm to forever search for the stock radio and draw enough current to drain the battery.
Has anyone experienced the same? I'd like to put the Kenwood back in. Would anyone know how I know I get the bcm out of that search mode for sure?
Thanks for reading
Never heard that one before, I think they're full of crap, many C6 owners have installed aftermarket systems in their Vettes with no problems, myself included. I'd suggest putting it back in but disconnect the battery before doing so, then once in, hook the battery back up and see what happens, sometimes disconnecting the battery then hooking it back up can take care of little glitches like this. If it happens again after doing so, then I'd suggest pulling the radio fuse and using a multimeter testing across the fuse terminals to measure how much of a current draw you have going on with that circuit. Depending on how many amps you show can tell you if this is the problem or not.
The following 2 users liked this post by madsonp:
Art17 (01-20-2022), ClothSeats (01-19-2022)
Old 01-19-2022, 10:04 PM
mrk1957
Racer

Yes, I've been thru the amp draw testing etc. There's no question the problem is either in the Kenwood radio ( doubtful) or the PAC interface themselves or what the PAC tech said, which I'm inclined not to believe. During that time, the battery had been disconnected as well as a couple new batteries. I'd think the bcm would've reset at some point in there. I may try the PAC people another try.
The following users liked this post:
cmonkey713 (01-20-2022)
Old 01-19-2022, 11:02 PM
madsonp
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Yes, I've been thru the amp draw testing etc. There's no question the problem is either in the Kenwood radio ( doubtful) or the PAC interface themselves or what the PAC tech said, which I'm inclined not to believe. During that time, the battery had been disconnected as well as a couple new batteries. I'd think the bcm would've reset at some point in there. I may try the PAC people another try.
Yep, if the battery disconnect didn't fix it then I too would suspect the PAC.
Old 01-20-2022, 10:19 AM
vettelover8306
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Thanks for reading
Be sure aftermarket radio turn off when you shut off the car ...
Old 01-20-2022, 10:29 AM
madsonp
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by vettelover8306
Be sure aftermarket radio turn off when you shut off the car ...
The radio should power off when the car is shut off if it's hooked up properly, and I'd think it would be real noticeable if it didn't.

Last edited by madsonp; 01-20-2022 at 10:38 AM.
Old 01-20-2022, 10:41 AM
madsonp
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Just wondering which PAC interface are you using ? Is it the RP5-GM11 or the GM1A-RST ? I know there've been some issues with some of the RP5's but I've never heard of an issue such as you're having with it, not to say it couldn't happen. I know PAC recently changed the design of the RP5 which came out in Sept. of 2021 which looks like this now. https://catalog.pac-audio.com/catalo...ement/rp5-gm11

Where as this is what the older ones looked like.

So if you do decide to get another one I suggest shopping around to make sure you get the latest version which is Rev. 5.1.3.22

Last edited by madsonp; 01-20-2022 at 11:45 AM.
Old 01-20-2022, 12:21 PM
rbwinston
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 249 Likes on 178 Posts

Have a Pioneer in my '05 with no issues. I have the older PAC as shown in the above picture. Certainly sounds like that could be your issue, even if you have the newer interface if there's an issue with it. Wouldn't think you'd need to completely re-wire the interface, just pull out the connectors and install another one. Where did you get the interface? If from Crutchfield they're very helpful. Can't imagine wherever you got it wouldn't be willing to send you a new box to verify your problem.
Old 01-20-2022, 12:53 PM
madsonp
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by rbwinston
Have a Pioneer in my '05 with no issues. I have the older PAC as shown in the above picture. Certainly sounds like that could be your issue, even if you have the newer interface if there's an issue with it. Wouldn't think you'd need to completely re-wire the interface, just pull out the connectors and install another one. Where did you get the interface? If from Crutchfield they're very helpful. Can't imagine wherever you got it wouldn't be willing to send you a new box to verify your problem.
It depends on which version of interface he gets, if it's the newer version I think he may have to rewire his radio harness to the harness of the new version because it looks to me like the connecters might differer from the old version. If he gets the older version one, then he probably wouldn't and everything should just plug right into it.
Old 01-20-2022, 03:39 PM
mrk1957
Racer

I just got off the phone with another PAC tech. He thinks it's the module and recommends upgrading to the newer version. I'm pretty okay with the stock radio for now and will purchase the revised version when I have an extra $250 laying around. He said they couldn't get the chips for the old version anymore and had to redesign the whole thing.
Thank you for everyone's input.
Old 01-20-2022, 03:51 PM
madsonp
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

I just got off the phone with another PAC tech. He thinks it's the module and recommends upgrading to the newer version. I'm pretty okay with the stock radio for now and will purchase the revised version when I have an extra $250 laying around. He said they couldn't get the chips for the old version anymore and had to redesign the whole thing.
Thank you for everyone's input.
Well, that kinda what I figured, sounds like the first tech you were talking to was blowing smoke up your a$$. Sorry you don't have the money right now for the new version interface, it would be nice to know if for certain this addresses your problem. Shop around, you can find one cheaper than what PAC advertises it for, like here which is a $100 cheaper. https://www.bestbuy.com/site/pac-rad...?skuId=3844378
Old 01-20-2022, 05:37 PM
mrk1957
Racer

Thanks! That's much more reasonable and doable.
Old 01-20-2022, 06:24 PM
madsonp
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Thanks! That's much more reasonable and doable.
Old 01-20-2022, 08:21 PM
rbwinston
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 249 Likes on 178 Posts

WOA,,,,,they want to charge you $250 to replace THEIR defective part !!!!! Call BS on that one!! Call them back, ask for the general manager and tell him they owe you one, no charge or at least at a deep discount.
Old 01-20-2022, 08:49 PM
madsonp
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by rbwinston
WOA,,,,,they want to charge you $250 to replace THEIR defective part !!!!! Call BS on that one!! Call them back, ask for the general manager and tell him they owe you one, no charge or at least at a deep discount.
If it's out of warranty that probably wouldn't do any good, and I don't see where they even offer a warranty.
Old 01-21-2022, 07:53 PM
joec
Melting Slicks

Received 66 Likes on 58 Posts

so I actually had the opposite problem.. with the new kenwood in my battery lasts longer and charges quicker on my battery tender that with the stock radio. I agree the first tech was full of sheet also.. Sad that they didn't even offer you a discount tho.. hope it all works out for you tho..
Old 01-21-2022, 10:17 PM
mrk1957
Racer

Actually, I think I'll give their sales people a call Monday. Maybe I'll get some satisfaction that way.

Get notified of new replies

To Battery discharge issue

Quick Reply: Battery discharge issue