C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Front Camera Trigger?

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2021, 03:14 PM
BLDun
Racer

Received 48 Likes on 28 Posts

Default Front Camera Trigger?

I have an '05 vert and recently installed a Kenwood head unit with back up camera. I also installed a steering wheel from an '08 with controls. I am preparing to install a front camera but had a question. The rear camera is triggered when I go into reverse. What triggers the front camera to come on so I don't run into parking bumpers? Do I have to touch the head unit to find the front camera each time or is there a simpler way to activate the front Camera?

Thanks
Old 12-02-2021, 03:47 PM
4SUMERZ
Race Car Tech
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,329 Likes on 1,667 Posts

I had my front camera sharing the driver side wiring at the fog light. I seldom used the fog lamps, so when I wanted to power up the camera, I would turn them on.
You couid also set up a fuse tap with a switch in the ashtray, or console.
I'm sure there will be more options coming your way.
Old 12-02-2021, 06:03 PM
JABCAT
Race Director

Received 8,897 Likes on 4,284 Posts
2020 C6 of the Year Winner - Modified

My front camera is wired to the power and ground on the radio wire harness. On my Pioneer head unit I just hit the camera button to show the front camera. I also have my rear camera wired into the power on the radio harness so I can switch between both front and rear cameras when driving if I want to.
Old 12-02-2021, 08:12 PM
jdurhan
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 87 Likes on 37 Posts
2020 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

I have a kenwood with front camera and have to trigger it through head unit, just takes a second. Not hard.
Old 12-02-2021, 08:48 PM
Patsgarage
Team Owner

Received 1,597 Likes on 1,074 Posts

I am not sure if this directly applies to your situation, but I wired a 3 way on/off/on toggle to turn on my front and rear cameras separately whenever I wanted to. I have a dedicated display for them as I have not yet replaced my stock HU.
Old 12-02-2021, 09:02 PM
NBVette_Canada
Pro

Received 232 Likes on 148 Posts

Based on advice from @madsonp I used a PAC gm1a-RST module and a VS41 Camera Switcher module which allows you to program a trigger for the front camera based on your speed. I don't remember the exact settings, but you can have it trigger your front camera when your speed is lower than 5mph, lower than 10 mph, or something along that line.

NOTE: This is definitely not your cheapest option, but it works well.
Old 12-02-2021, 11:40 PM
madsonp
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,772 Likes on 1,177 Posts

Originally Posted by NBVette_Canada
Based on advice from @madsonp I used a PAC gm1a-RST module and a VS41 Camera Switcher module which allows you to program a trigger for the front camera based on your speed. I don't remember the exact settings, but you can have it trigger your front camera when your speed is lower than 5mph, lower than 10 mph, or something along that line.

NOTE: This is definitely not your cheapest option, but it works well.
Hey NB how's it going ? Here's a writeup I did concerning the GM1A-RST when it first came out, information about the VS41 is in there also if you're interested in reading about them. https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...terface-3.html
Old 12-02-2021, 11:44 PM
TripleB5832
Burning Brakes

Received 400 Likes on 235 Posts

I have a Kenwood and the front cam triggers two ways: one when putting it in drive from reverse, and second by hitting the camera button. Can also toggle between the two cams by touching the top middle part of the screen.
Old 12-02-2021, 11:56 PM
NBVette_Canada
Pro

Originally Posted by madsonp
Hey NB how's it going ? Here's a writeup I did concerning the GM1A-RST when it first came out, information about the VS41 is in there also if you're interested in reading about them. https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...terface-3.html
Trying to stay safe, but doing well. Wanted to give you the credit for the gm1a. I bit the bullet and switched, found some good deals on ebay, and am not looking back. It works great.

Car is away for the winter so trying to plan out some projects. So far I have new Morimoto LED Fog Lights and the new C8 Carbide headlights coming from @VetteLights soon to install. I also have some new speakers to install that have been long overdue.

How about yourself? Staying well I hope.
Old 12-03-2021, 12:09 AM
madsonp
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by NBVette_Canada
Trying to stay safe, but doing well. Wanted to give you the credit for the gm1a. I bit the bullet and switched, found some good deals on ebay, and am not looking back. It works great.

Car is away for the winter so trying to plan out some projects. So far I have new Morimoto LED Fog Lights and the new C8 Carbide headlights coming from @VetteLights soon to install. I also have some new speakers to install that have been long overdue.

How about yourself? Staying well I hope.
Yep, doing good, appreciate the credit glad you're happy with it. My cars pretty much put away for the winter also, but it's been warm enough lately I still get it out once and a while. I put the Morimoto headlights in mine last year and did the fogs this spring, love the lights, I also put the smoked side marker lights which are cool too, all of which I also bought from @VetteLights Cole's a great person to deal with. I need to start looking for some good door speakers, I designed and built a custom subwoofer for my car which really improved the sound, I just need to update the door speakers to better match the sound from the sub. Probably won't get to it till next spring though, I got some stuff I need to get done on the house before the snow fly's.
Old 12-03-2021, 12:12 AM
madsonp
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by BLDun
I have an '05 vert and recently installed a Kenwood head unit with back up camera. I also installed a steering wheel from an '08 with controls. I am preparing to install a front camera but had a question. The rear camera is triggered when I go into reverse. What triggers the front camera to come on so I don't run into parking bumpers? Do I have to touch the head unit to find the front camera each time or is there a simpler way to activate the front Camera?

Thanks
You got a purdy car by they way.
The following users liked this post:
NBVette_Canada (12-03-2021)
Old 12-03-2021, 01:04 AM
NBVette_Canada
Pro

Originally Posted by madsonp
You got a purdy car by they way.
Always a work in progress but thanks for the compliment none the less.

Yours ain't to shabby either!!

Get notified of new replies

To Front Camera Trigger?

Quick Reply: Front Camera Trigger?