C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Carvana, Carmax, and Vroom

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2021, 04:10 PM
94sundevil
Instructor

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts

Default Carvana, Carmax, and Vroom

Might sell the Vette, still very undecided. So just for fun I put in my details to the three sites, 2009 Z06, stock with 60,000. Carvana and Carmax were nearly identical at 31.5k, but Vroom came back with 22k. Not sure even what a fair price would be in the current used car market. FYI: Don’t need to sell just out of room and thinking of buying something else.
Old 11-09-2021, 04:14 PM
Corvette_Ed
Race Director

Received 2,846 Likes on 1,802 Posts

Seems pretty low for a Z06. Base models like mine are selling for what they're offering you.
The following 2 users liked this post by Corvette_Ed:
killain (11-10-2021), Razorbacker (11-13-2021)
Old 11-09-2021, 04:22 PM
Notover
Racer

Received 249 Likes on 110 Posts

Originally Posted by Corvette_Ed
Seems pretty low for a Z06. Base models like mine are selling for what they're offering you.
I agree!
Old 11-09-2021, 05:50 PM
JABCAT
Race Director

Received 8,896 Likes on 4,284 Posts
2020 C6 of the Year Winner - Modified

Fwiw I’m looking to trade-in/sell my 2016 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited, both Carvana & Carmax offers were almost $10k less than my local Jeep dealer is offering. Their offers were even way below Kbb & NADA trade-in values which are always low.
Old 11-09-2021, 06:13 PM
indebt
Burning Brakes

Received 596 Likes on 272 Posts
2023 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified

I look all the time so with yours, I feel $33-36k in this market. Can ask whatever you want, just depends on if you really want to sell or selling for right price. At $33k, it would be sold within a few hours of listing im sure. Could hold out for $36k and probably get it, just might take a tad longer, but not much. The demand is still there, even in this market.

Last edited by indebt; 11-09-2021 at 06:18 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Landru (11-10-2021)
Old 11-09-2021, 08:57 PM
buckmeister2
Le Mans Master

Received 1,206 Likes on 824 Posts

It appears Vroom may not feel they have a market for your car, so did not pursue it. Or, they entered some wrong info into their valuation model. Either way, no reason to be concerned as the other two were strong offers.
Old 11-10-2021, 08:43 AM
BWF07
Le Mans Master

Received 822 Likes on 391 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11
Oldtimer

Any place that want s to buy your car will offer a lower price then what you can get selling it out-right. They have to get that money back and have room to haggle over their asking price and still make a profit.
Old 11-10-2021, 09:01 AM
Corvette_Ed
Race Director

Received 2,846 Likes on 1,802 Posts

Originally Posted by BWF07
Any place that want s to buy your car will offer a lower price then what you can get selling it out-right. They have to get that money back and have room to haggle over their asking price and still make a profit.
I understand the basics of the used car market. My point was they were offering way too low of a price for a Z06.
JR Jackson (11-12-2021)
Old 11-10-2021, 09:13 AM
Landru
Race Director

Received 1,047 Likes on 821 Posts

Originally Posted by indebt
I look all the time so with yours, I feel $33-36k in this market. Can ask whatever you want, just depends on if you really want to sell or selling for right price. At $33k, it would be sold within a few hours of listing im sure. Could hold out for $36k and probably get it, just might take a tad longer, but not much. The demand is still there, even in this market.

W/ Z06 there're a few xparent factors 'dealers' won't take into consideration.
Rebuilt heads, for example? (w/ upgraded internals)
New shocks.
Had a mild custom ground cam installed w/ headwork, tune + pre/post dyno w/ docs.
I'd severe road rash repaired, new brake ducts installed w/ Xpel, done correctly (JSB) was not inexpensive.
Carbotech 1521 pads w/ new discs.
BMG shifter.
Properly maintained/loved throughout original-owner possession, all documented.

Serious C6 Z06 informed shoppers will certainly take into account re asking price.
My '08 looks and drives as beautifully as the day I brought it home years ago.
Potential buyer(s) have to/probably make such 'upgrades' themselves, anyway.

IF I were selling, came across a strictly 'book' shopper?
I'd realize they're not a serious player, not for mine anyway.
I w/couldn't touch an amazingly beautiful HP vehicle such as my '08 w/ a barge pole even if I wanted to replace it w/ something else.
indebt (11-10-2021)
Old 11-10-2021, 09:27 AM
JABCAT
Race Director

Received 8,896 Likes on 4,284 Posts
2020 C6 of the Year Winner - Modified

Originally Posted by BWF07
Some have posted in the past & recently of getting good offers from these three on Base or GS Vettes, but I agree the offers the OP received are pretty low.

I received the same on my Wrangler. Carvana offered $24k, Carmax offered $27,200, and Vroom offered $22k. My dealer currently offered $33k on just the standard features that you can select in kbb. Ours has additional OEM options such as locking differentials, dual tops, steel winch bumper & winch, etc. So looking at ~$37k trade in. Did a search for Wranglers with similar standard equipment & mileage and found them listed between $39-45k, so I have no idea why the three non-dealer offers I received were so low.

OP, if you really want to sell check some local dealers or list it yourself.
Old 11-10-2021, 09:38 AM
indebt
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by JABCAT
so I have no idea why the three non-dealer offers I received were so low.

IMO i believe those 3 have slowed down buying as the market has cooled just a tad. During the peak this summer, they were buying left and right and now probably have an abundance of vehicles that they gave too much for, that aren't selling. Also, I read something about Carvana being banned in NC for paperwork reasons and other stuff. Me personally, I wouldn't buy from any of those 3, because I've heard of them just showing up, here's your check and boom gone. I'm sure cars were bought that might appear ok on the outside, but not on the inside haha.
Landru (11-10-2021)
Old 11-10-2021, 09:54 AM
Landru
Race Director

Received 1,047 Likes on 821 Posts

^ +1.
Corvette (& all 'sports oriented' vehicle) market is hyper-seasonal -- north of Mason-Dixon.
Makes a huge difference re expected return.

Besides seasonal up/down demand?
Must always remember dealers are 'dealers'.
Buying as low as possible, selling as high as possible.
It's what dealers do.
Old 11-10-2021, 01:01 PM
TUDULOU
Cruising

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Those sites want cars with NO MODS. I had experiences with them when I wanted to sell a 2017 BMW 4 series coupe. I got quotes from all 3 sites and Vroom was the highest by over $2K, then I mistakenly listed "performance mods" on Vroom to see if there was any price change because I had an ECU piggyback installed, actually thinking that the price would be higher. It came back $6K lower! Finally sold to Vroom after I got the company to purge my inquiries and relisted the car as completely stock after removing the piggyback ECU tune.
Old 11-10-2021, 03:19 PM
94sundevil
Instructor

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts

Tried one more online service KBB instant offer. Highest so far, just over 33k.
Old 11-10-2021, 05:30 PM
C5 4me
Drifting

Received 164 Likes on 143 Posts

Varoom,tried to lo-ball me as wel(28K)l Carmax was a better offer(32K) We are talking a 4K difference (2010) grand Sport. I kept the car but I was curious on what it would trade in for

Last edited by C5 4me; 11-10-2021 at 06:05 PM. Reason: added offers
Old 11-10-2021, 05:45 PM
indebt
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by 94sundevil
Tried one more online service KBB instant offer. Highest so far, just over 33k.
So you will take $33k for it? ill fly out to AZ😁😁
Old 11-11-2021, 01:29 PM
Scotthmt
Instructor

Received 42 Likes on 28 Posts

I’m interested as well, please text or call 51zero59nine139one

Get notified of new replies

To Carvana, Carmax, and Vroom

Old 11-11-2021, 05:52 PM
C6Goyo
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by indebt
IMO i believe those 3 have slowed down buying as the market has cooled just a tad. During the peak this summer, they were buying left and right and now probably have an abundance of vehicles that they gave too much for, that aren't selling. Also, I read something about Carvana being banned in NC for paperwork reasons and other stuff. Me personally, I wouldn't buy from any of those 3, because I've heard of them just showing up, here's your check and boom gone. I'm sure cars were bought that might appear ok on the outside, but not on the inside haha.
Thats exactly how it is, I sold my wifes Nissan rogue to Carvana and was floored that the car wasnt even test driven lol
indebt (11-11-2021)
Old 11-12-2021, 11:14 AM
BluegrassMotorsport
Melting Slicks

Received 883 Likes on 478 Posts

I sold a Silverado to Carvana in the Spring. It was a great experience - quick and painless. They offered me more than I paid for my truck new, with 10k miles. But I know that won't be the norm forever. I've noticed their offers vary wildly based on location and demand. If they have a lot of Corvettes in inventory or Corvettes aren't performing as strong at auction, their offers won't be as high - just like any dealer out there. But their offer was significantly higher than any dealer would touch.
Old 11-12-2021, 12:36 PM
JR Jackson
Instructor

Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts

Carvana.
Agree with the consensus that their offers are trending downward - unless they are tracking my online inquiries (actually certain they are).

We sold them our Mercedes back in the spring, the offer was quite fair and the process was absolutely painless. No complaints.

Having said that, just for kicks I entered our Corvettes information and it came back much lower that I would consider fair. I also entered the information of a Z06 I have interest in (similar to the OP’s car but half the miles), let’s just say I’d love to buy the car for what Carvana is saying they’d pay for it. Insulting frankly…
I’d speculate they aren’t currently in the market for these cars but if they could “steal” one or two from people looking to liquidate, their hedging their bet on making a heck of a lick when they sell it.
I’ve not bought from them, don’t think I would..can’t say I am taken in by their business model. - Matter of fact, they have a Z06 that is exactly what I’m in the market for, at almost 10K over market, they must be making over 25k on that one deal alone..not even entertaining the thought of entering a discussion with them about it.

JR

Quick Reply: Carvana, Carmax, and Vroom