C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Battery harness replacement question

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2021, 12:46 AM
AZ_DSOM
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Default Battery harness replacement question

Will battery harness, part number 20835504 fit a 2006 Z51? I did a couple of searches, (battery+harness+replacement and battery+cable+replacement) and came up with nothing. I ran the searches without the “+”s and got a lot of unrelated stuff.

Due to a loose negative terminal, (I tried a new conical nut first and it didn’t help) I attempted to replaced my harness with part #15832652. After getting it in my buddy and I found that the negative cable was about two inches too short. We were able to turn the battery 180 degrees and get the positive and negative terminals connected. However, after the reversal, the positive lead going to the fuse block was now two inches short. We were able to make a jumper to get the Vette up and running, but I don’t wanna leave it that way. I would like to do the repair correctly and just not replace the negative terminal.

The harness that we removed had part # 15832656 on it; I have yet to find one in stock online, well I did find a used one on eBay...but it was in Germany! I have found part # 20835504 available and it says it will fit...but so did part #15832652.

Anyone know if part # 20835504 will work with the battery in the stock position?

Thanks in advance for any help.
Old 10-14-2021, 01:49 AM
HK770
Burning Brakes

Received 237 Likes on 189 Posts

Looks like both pos and neg cables sold as set..........Trunkmonkey is GM dealer selling internet

https://www.trunkmonkeyparts.com/v-2...rical--battery

Last edited by HK770; 10-14-2021 at 01:59 AM.
Old 10-14-2021, 02:03 AM
AZ_DSOM
Racer

Yes, thank you for the quick reply. They do indeed come as a set/harness with grounds to the block and a lead to power the fuse block.

Just trying to see if anyone has had experience installing part # 20835504, and if it worked for them. It was about a 2 hr. job to get 158322652 in, it looked like it would fit before we started...then we came up 2 inches short, (no comment) at the end.
Old 10-14-2021, 02:14 AM
HK770
Burning Brakes

Received 237 Likes on 189 Posts

Says same number fits my 11 GS .....Battery under hood right side at firewall

https://www.trunkmonkeyparts.com/v-2...rical--battery

Old 01-17-2022, 03:54 PM
AZ_DSOM
Racer

Just to close the loop on this in case someone needs the information in the future... I’ve seen several recent posts with people having the “push, click, no start” issue that I had, you might wanna inspect your terminals:

1. Part # 20835504 is the correct cable and leaves the battery in the stock orientation.

2. It took approximately an hour to install using my Quickjacks and a buddy who is a trained GM Corvette Tech.

3. With supply chain issues it took me about 10 hours on the phone, calling all over the country, over the course of a week to find a place with it “in stock” and available to ship. Many places said they had access to one, but when it came time to order it was “out of stock”.

4. Ended up paying $170 including shipping to get it from a dealership that turned out to be about 2 hours away. With the price of gas, it was more cost-effective to have it shipped. I paid for two-day shipping, but it arrived the next day.

5. The new cable solved my, “push, click, no start” issue.

6. The reason I installed the new cable was due to a very loose negative terminal, (when I had my last battery installed apparently they couldn’t get it to tighten so they shoved a piece of copper wire in between the terminal and battery post.) I didn’t find the wire until troubleshooting my “click no start” issue. Prior to installing the cable tried an aftermarket conical nut, and one from the dealer.

Hope this saves someone some time, energy, and hassle.

Get notified of new replies

To Battery harness replacement question

Quick Reply: Battery harness replacement question