C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Install of a factory nav radio?

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2021, 10:28 AM
rwilson3944
Instructor

Received 51 Likes on 21 Posts
Default Install of a factory nav radio?

I just bought a 2009 vette and would like to change from the stock radio to the factory nav radio. I see quite a few on ebay and would like to get the 2011-2013 since it has a USB connection. Are the connections the same from stock radio to the nav? Does it require a vin or pass code to use? How difficult is the install procedure? Is it better to just go with an aftermarket say Kenwood or Sony?
thanks for the help.
Rob
Old 10-12-2021, 10:36 AM
walleyfisher
Le Mans Master

Received 1,664 Likes on 740 Posts
2023 C2 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2023 C4 of the Year Finalist- Modified
2022 C4 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2022 C3 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2021 C7 of the Year Winner -- Modified
2020 C4 of the Year Finalist - Modified

Originally Posted by rwilson3944
I just bought a 2009 vette and would like to change from the stock radio to the factory nav radio. I see quite a few on ebay and would like to get the 2011-2013 since it has a USB connection. Are the connections the same from stock radio to the nav? Does it require a vin or pass code to use? How difficult is the install procedure? Is it better to just go with an aftermarket say Kenwood or Sony?
thanks for the help.
Rob
as far as wiring goes, it all plug and play. You will need to purchase a satilite antenna (that mounts under the dash just like the factory one) and you will need somebody to unlock the radio you are installing to connect to you cars computer ( you local dealer might be able to help you out, but you will need to show proof the radio in question is not stolen)

Now that being said, the aftermarket radio's work much better, I myself like Pioneer.
If you go this route you will need to purchase a radio interface module that too is plug and play to the car harness.
But you will need to "wire" the module to the radio which is a little daughting if you have never wire a car stereo befor but its not hard

Last edited by walleyfisher; 10-12-2021 at 10:36 AM.
Old 10-12-2021, 10:48 AM
leebay
Drifting

Received 613 Likes on 386 Posts

So the OP knows the factory radios navigation is outdated and No updates have been available for many years, most everyone goes with a aftermarket unit Kenwood, Pioneer, Etc
Old 10-12-2021, 01:00 PM
wjnjr
Melting Slicks

Received 918 Likes on 577 Posts
2023 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2022 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

As Mr. walleyfisher posted, installing the factory Nav radio is pretty simple. You will need someone with a Tech2 or equivalent to unlock the new radio, takes about 5min. Then you will have a reliable, fully functional audio & Nav setup with 15yr old technology. It might be all you need or want, or it might not be. That's your call. Nothing wrong with old stuff that works well.

If you do decide to go aftermarket, please do some research. You will find way too many stories of aftermarket stereo installations that never really work right. Bad radio reception, poor sound quality, sketchy bluetooth, interference with other electrical systems in the car, are some of the reported problems. Many times they are never corrected and the owners just live with them. But they do brag about their backup camera and Car Play. Pick good equipment, don't skimp on the installation, and you should be OK.
Old 10-12-2021, 01:22 PM
rwilson3944
Instructor

Default Radio head unit

Great information thanks, I am leaning towards a new head unit after learning what a factory unit would require a GM visit and buying off Ebay means no proof of unit being legitimate and not stolen I can see this being a big headache at the dealer. And second it's older technology.
What do you guys recommend for new? I will be keeping the existing speakers for awhile. It's a 3LT so the speakers are Bose.
Thanks for all the information.
Old 10-12-2021, 01:53 PM
1bdvet
Team Owner

Received 4,508 Likes on 3,592 Posts
U.S. Air Force
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor

The best GPS is your Smart Phone, they are always up to date, and Waze is great for GPS along with traffic reports speed tracks and accidents.

I bought cup holder to place your phone.

Old 10-12-2021, 02:33 PM
Berto
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I replaced my stock unit with a Kenwood with a backup camera and Navigation. The Nav unit in this one is a Garmen so you will get updates and it is way better than the GM one. I had the GM unit in my 2009 Vette. I had mine professionally installed at Car Toys in my 2011 GS and they connected everything as if it was factory with one exception. The factory Nav unit would display upcoming directions on the heads up screen and they are not able to mimic that feature
Old 10-12-2021, 02:44 PM
Let It Ride
Melting Slicks

Received 924 Likes on 532 Posts

Originally Posted by Berto
I replaced my stock unit with a Kenwood with a backup camera and Navigation. The Nav unit in this one is a Garmen so you will get updates and it is way better than the GM one. I had the GM unit in my 2009 Vette. I had mine professionally installed at Car Toys in my 2011 GS and they connected everything as if it was factory with one exception. The factory Nav unit would display upcoming directions on the heads up screen and they are not able to mimic that feature
Kind of the only drawback of going aftermarket. No more Nav info or radio info in the heads up display.
The following users liked this post:
Berto (10-12-2021)
Old 10-12-2021, 03:05 PM
Dano523
Race Director

Received 3,028 Likes on 2,182 Posts

thanks for the help.
Rob

If you have Boses on the door panels, then needed VSS wiring will already be part of the harness. If pulling the standard radio, will see the extra connector taped back on the main harness that you need to use with the Nav radio.
No Bose and you will need to add in the needed VSS wire.

Will need the Nav antenna, and it just gets added to the sub dash just above the radio.

Will need the Mic for the A pillar, and again, if you have have bose, then connector is already there under the pillar, and will just need to cut the pillar panel to accept the mic.

Once radio is installed in the car, just use ACC mode to make sure it working. Once you go to start the car, BCM will look at the radio and put it into lock mode. To get it out of lock mode, will need a tech II to clear the radios security chip, and radio will marry with the car's BCM on the next start up. Dealer charges around $140 for this, but if you can find someone around you with a Tech II (or buy your own clone), it about a 3 min thing to clear the radio so it can remarry to the new car its in.

Is it worth all of this, Hell no since the Nav raido came out of 2004, is dated to hell in its functions, and the last map update disc for the unit is also dated as well.
So instead, spend the money for a Kenwood Nav deck and after market module to install in the car instead.
Old 10-12-2021, 07:33 PM
madsonp
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,768 Likes on 1,174 Posts

I originally had the stock nav system in mine and believe me, you'd be far off better to install a aftermarket nav system, not only do they have much more features, but they sound much better also. I have a Pioneer system in mine, the best mode I made to my car. What Wjnjr said in his post is not true, very few people who install an aftermarket head unit have issues with them, and those that do end up being caused by improper installation, and are easily remedied. I know you'd regret going with a stock head unit, and if you decide to go with a aftermarket system there's a bunch of us that hang out in the Audio/Electronics section of this forum that are more than willing to help you with your install or answer any questions you may have. https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...lectronics-20/
Old 10-12-2021, 08:03 PM
madsonp
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Let It Ride
Kind of the only drawback of going aftermarket. No more Nav info or radio info in the heads up display.
But on the other hand, my Pioneer system gives you voice prompts when it's time to turn which I like better, as far as the radio info, I listen more to the music on my phone/ipod than I do the radio, so no big loss there either.
Old 10-12-2021, 08:12 PM
Not4spd
Melting Slicks

Received 631 Likes on 394 Posts

I am having the Kenwood DMX7706S installed this Saturday. Meets all the criteria I need, XM, bluetooth, camera inputs, android auto etc...

https://www.kenwood.com/usa/car/navi...edia/dmx7706s/
Old 10-12-2021, 11:30 PM
madsonp
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Not4spd
I am having the Kenwood DMX7706S installed this Saturday. Meets all the criteria I need, XM, bluetooth, camera inputs, android auto etc...

https://www.kenwood.com/usa/car/navi...edia/dmx7706s/
Be sure to post some photos of your install who finished. If you're doing the XM, here's a thread that tells you how to reuse your stock XM antennas if you're interested. https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...-xm-tuner.html

Last edited by madsonp; 10-12-2021 at 11:33 PM.
Old 10-13-2021, 07:01 AM
07MontyRed
Drifting

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 215 Likes on 139 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13,'14-'15-'16-'17-‘18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Lifetime Member

Originally Posted by 1bdvet
The best GPS is your Smart Phone, they are always up to date, and Waze is great for GPS along with traffic reports speed tracks and accidents.
If you live in a city, I agree. If you live where there is no cell coverage, nope. I was recently in the mountains in North Carolina ... not a cell tower for miles so the phone was absolutely useless since the maps functions on cell phones is not local, it is on an Apple or Google server somewhere (although google will let you download maps, the navigation function doesn't use the downloaded copy). Fortunately, the car had built-in nav (where the maps and nav function is local to the vehicle).
Old 10-13-2021, 09:51 AM
rwilson3944
Instructor

I probably will do the install I have done a few on other cars. Probably will be a Kenwood or Pioneer going in not sure yet on whether it will be GPS or not. The Kenwoods are hard to find in town at the moment will keep looking maybe buy online. Thanks for all the great information on the pros and cons of new vs stock radio and install information.
Old 10-13-2021, 10:05 AM
Turbo6TA
Race Director

Received 3,089 Likes on 2,078 Posts
2021 C6 of the Year Finalist - Modified

There are Kenwood head units available that have built-in Garmin navigation.

Any Kenwood head unit that the model number starts with either DNR or DNX will have the built-in Garmin navigation.

Of course, like any of the late model head units now being sold, most all are Apple CarPlay and Android Auto compatible so you can use your cellphone for navigation if for some reason you would want to.

Here is the Kenwood unit I installed in my 2011 GS (with Garmin nav)

Attachment 48332144
The following users liked this post:
mikeCsix (02-08-2024)
Old 10-13-2021, 10:11 AM
Turbo6TA
Race Director

Received 3,089 Likes on 2,078 Posts
2021 C6 of the Year Finalist - Modified

BTW ... I installed one of the USB ports for the head unit here:

(I listen to most of my music from music on a thumb drive)

Get notified of new replies

To Install of a factory nav radio?

Old 10-13-2021, 10:17 AM
4SUMERZ
Race Car Tech
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,321 Likes on 1,665 Posts

I'm still using the OEM Nav for directions, and it has always worked well on our 80k miles of road trips. Unfortunately, there is no more updates available, but not many roads have been added since the last update, 5 years ago. I guess eventually, I will purchase an aftermarket unit with Garmin Navigation. I actually have 3 OEM units counting the one in the C6.
Old 10-13-2021, 11:30 AM
rskwannabe
Instructor

Received 39 Likes on 26 Posts

Has anyone tried to use/pair the existing mic on the A pillar for onstar with their aftermarket head unit?
The following 2 users liked this post by rskwannabe:
4SUMERZ (10-13-2021), mikeCsix (02-08-2024)
Old 10-13-2021, 11:30 AM
madsonp
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

I probably will do the install I have done a few on other cars. Probably will be a Kenwood or Pioneer going in not sure yet on whether it will be GPS or not. The Kenwoods are hard to find in town at the moment will keep looking maybe buy online. Thanks for all the great information on the pros and cons of new vs stock radio and install information.
You'll be glad you did. Here's a How To from this forum if you're interested in reading it. https://www.corvetteforum.com/how-to...igation-368176 There's a couple things you'll need to get in addition to the head unit, the first is an interface, the most commonly used one is the PAC RP5-GM11 https://www.crutchfield.com/p_541RP5...Interface.html Another option is the PAC GM1A-RST which is their latest one, and the one I currently am using. https://www.abt.com/Pac-Audio-RadioP.../p/129348.html Then you'll also need a dash kit https://www.crutchfield.com/p_120953...t.html?tp=3121 If you're wanting XM radio also, you need to get an additional tuner as your stock tuner can't be reused with an aftermarket head unit. https://www.crutchfield.com/p_220SXV...0V1-Tuner.html however your stock XM antennas can be reused if you have them, this will show you how. https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...-xm-tuner.html
And like mentioned before there's a lot of us that hang out in the Audio/Electronics section of this forum that are more then willing to help you with any questions you may have.
https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...lectronics-20/
The following 2 users liked this post by madsonp:
mikeCsix (02-08-2024), viper04 (10-16-2021)

Quick Reply: Install of a factory nav radio?