C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Install of a factory nav radio?

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2021, 11:31 AM
madsonp
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,768 Likes on 1,174 Posts

Originally Posted by rskwannabe
Has anyone tried to use/pair the existing mic on the A pillar for onstar with their aftermarket head unit?
I tried it with my Pioneer system, it didn't work, and I've heard where others have tried it with their Kenwoods with no success. I did however determine the type of connectors used so I wouldn't have to cut into the wiring, if you're interested in trying I can see if I can find that info again. I mounted the Pioneer mic that came with my system up by the stock mic and it's so small you don't really even notice it, so I'd personally suggest this and not even messing with the stock mic.

Last edited by madsonp; 10-13-2021 at 12:04 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by madsonp:
mikeCsix (02-08-2024), rskwannabe (10-13-2021)
Old 10-13-2021, 02:20 PM
She_Thicc
Banned Scam/Spammer

Received 270 Likes on 173 Posts

Besides replacing the 12V port with a USB one, how else are you guys routing a USB cable from the head unit to the center console? I don't want to lose my 12V outlet in the console so I'm thinking about making a small notch in one of the corners of the lower piece to get a wire in there. Problem is: it's visible and permanent. Are there any better ways to do this?

Here are a couple of the places I was thinking of notching:

Old 10-13-2021, 02:48 PM
rskwannabe
Instructor

Received 39 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by madsonp
I tried it with my Pioneer system, it didn't work, and I've heard where others have tried it with their Kenwoods with no success. I did however determine the type of connectors used so I wouldn't have to cut into the wiring, if you're interested in trying I can see if I can find that info again. I mounted the Pioneer mic that came with my system up by the stock mic and it's so small you don't really even notice it, so I'd personally suggest this and not even messing with the stock mic.
Thanks. I know that there is a mod where you replace a module in the trunk which I presume is the onstar module with one that allows you to add bluetooth to cars without it (2008 and prior) and then use the existing mic on A pillar and the onstar button on the rear view mirror as the call button for your cell phone. So I figured there might be a way to use the mic for aftermarket stereo set up too.
Old 10-13-2021, 06:28 PM
madsonp
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by rskwannabe
Thanks. I know that there is a mod where you replace a module in the trunk which I presume is the onstar module with one that allows you to add bluetooth to cars without it (2008 and prior) and then use the existing mic on A pillar and the onstar button on the rear view mirror as the call button for your cell phone. So I figured there might be a way to use the mic for aftermarket stereo set up too.
None that I know of, there's a connector at the mic, and using the connector I found (it's mate), you can wire in wiring from the aftermarket head units mic connection and plug it in to the stock mic which bypasses the OnStar module all together, and wires the stock mic directly to the head unit, but like I say, when I tried it you could barely hear anything through the stock mic compared to the aftermarket mic that came with my Pioneer system. So I'm assuming the electronic values of the stock mic differ so much from those of the aftermarket mic that it makes it unusable with an aftermarket head unit, so I went back to using the Pioneer mic, and like I say once you mount it next to the stock mic, you don't really even notice it. Here's a photo of mine mounted. You just pop the A-pillar off and run the wiring behind it to the head unit.

The following users liked this post:
rskwannabe (10-13-2021)
Old 10-13-2021, 06:35 PM
madsonp
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by She_Thicc
Besides replacing the 12V port with a USB one, how else are you guys routing a USB cable from the head unit to the center console? I don't want to lose my 12V outlet in the console so I'm thinking about making a small notch in one of the corners of the lower piece to get a wire in there. Problem is: it's visible and permanent. Are there any better ways to do this?

Can't say if that would work or not. Another option if you don't want to loose the power port there would be to pull the cigarette lighter and mount it there, unless you use that also. I believe the stock USB connection on the later model Vettes is located at the back end of the console, so you might look there also for a mounting option.
Old 10-13-2021, 07:50 PM
rwilson3944
Instructor

Received 51 Likes on 21 Posts

I was looking through the audio section under C6 to find console and radio removal. Found a great one but pictures don't load on audio Dave's write up. Is there somewhere else that may have directions and photos?
also if I install the sirius adapter does the antenna need to mount on the roof or is their a location under the dash where it will work? Or use existing antennas if not
Old 10-13-2021, 08:19 PM
madsonp
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by rwilson3944
I was looking through the audio section under C6 to find console and radio removal. Found a great one but pictures don't load on audio Dave's write up. Is there somewhere else that may have directions and photos?
also if I install the sirius adapter does the antenna need to mount on the roof or is their a location under the dash where it will work? Or use existing antennas if not
Like I mentioned before there's this from the "How To" section of this forum https://www.corvetteforum.com/how-to...igation-368176
Yes you can use the antenna that comes with the aftermarket tuner and it works ok mounted under the dash on top of the HVAC vents behind the center console but it also adds to the wire clutter or you can reuse your stock antennas like I mentioned earlier, this'll show you what you need to do it. https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...-xm-tuner.html There's a good place to mount the aftermarket XM tuner behind the console on the right side under the HVAC controls.

Last edited by madsonp; 10-13-2021 at 08:23 PM.
Old 10-13-2021, 09:45 PM
She_Thicc
Banned Scam/Spammer

Originally Posted by madsonp
Can't say if that would work or not. Another option if you don't want to loose the power port there would be to pull the cigarette lighter and mount it there, unless you use that also. I believe the stock USB connection on the later model Vettes is located at the back end of the console, so you might look there also for a mounting option.
Yeah, I don't want to leave my ash tray/cigarette lighter door open all the time. The problem with the rear of the console is the cable can't be disconnected from the stereo and has a USB port at the end. I don't want to have to cut a hole large enough for a USB port to fit through. Would rather sandwich a wire between a seam and expand the seam a little so the wire isn't pinched.

Sorry to hi-jack the thread, but I'll create my own and post photos when I have a solution.
Old 10-13-2021, 10:06 PM
TorchRedFred
Le Mans Master

Received 1,636 Likes on 1,121 Posts

Originally Posted by She_Thicc

I originally ran my usb and aux wire exactly like you described. I don't understand why people are so quick to give up their 12v outlet. It's not a big deal to just run the wires into the center console as shown in the picture.
Old 10-13-2021, 10:31 PM
She_Thicc
Banned Scam/Spammer

Originally Posted by TorchRedFred
I originally ran my usb and aux wire exactly like you described. I don't understand why people are so quick to give up their 12v outlet. It's not a big deal to just run the wires into the center console as shown in the picture.
This forum is amazing, always someone who has done what you're thinking. Thanks for the pic, I like the flexibility with this option. Looks like you didn't have to cut anything either?

Last edited by She_Thicc; 10-13-2021 at 10:32 PM.
Old 10-13-2021, 10:35 PM
rwilson3944
Instructor

Received 51 Likes on 21 Posts

You guys are great!!!! That's my new plan for the USB connection
Old 02-08-2024, 09:19 PM
mikeCsix
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 197 Likes on 168 Posts

Originally Posted by rwilson3944
You guys are great!!!! That's my new plan for the USB connection
I know this is an old thread, but in case someone else is planning a usb upgrade to an older car and strives for an OEM look, I would look for a console out of a later model that has the USB port already built in. You won't necessarily need the wire but you want the location.

Quick Reply: Install of a factory nav radio?