C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C6 Corvette Intake Question

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2021, 09:31 PM
Hawkeye55
Heel & Toe

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default C6 Corvette Intake Question

Hello, I'm a new Corvette owner as of a few days ago! I just bought a 2006 with 55k miles for a pretty good deal. The seller that I bought from was a dealer, so that didn't know what mods this car had or what the previous owner did to it. So far, it seems to be pretty much stock other than the cats were removed. It had a check engine light on, but I didn't think much of it assuming it was the lack of cats throwing a code. (I've heard that this can happen) After the first day I noticed that the car was stalling out on start and I had to give it some gas to keep it running. It also has a hard time staying above 600 rpm at idle and bounces all over the place. (drops to 400 rpm every few seconds then shoots up to 900, then back to the 600 idle) I noticed that once the car warms up though, those issues mostly disappear. This is most likely why I didn't notice this during the test drive. (It was already running and warmed up beforehand). I also noticed that very occasionally while driving, when I put my foot down, the car just won't go.

I decided to run an OBD II reader on it to see what codes the car was throwing exactly. I got 2 codes related to the MAF sensor and also "System Too Lean Bank" 1 and 2. I figured I should check out the MAF/Intake first, and when I took a closer look under the hood, I noticed that the intake air lid area just looks "off" to me. Like an entire piece is missing? I'm not super familiar with Corvette's, as I have only owned Trans Ams and Camaros previously. But the intake just looks strange. I'll post a pic under this thread, so please let me know if you see anything weird. I can see that the 4 clamps for the air lid are missing, but I feel like there's something else too. Is the air lid supposed to just be hanging there like that?

Last edited by Hawkeye55; 10-06-2021 at 09:32 PM.
Old 10-06-2021, 09:41 PM
oldcanuck
Pro

Received 305 Likes on 194 Posts

Some kind of aftermarket for sure. Maybe post this in the tech/performance area?
Old 10-06-2021, 09:43 PM
Hawkeye55
Heel & Toe

I'll give that a shot. Thanks!
Old 10-07-2021, 02:11 AM
montereyredvette
Racer

Received 105 Likes on 61 Posts

Its the stock ls2 intake thats been hacked up.
Old 10-07-2021, 08:29 AM
Spaceme1117
Safety Car

Received 1,317 Likes on 889 Posts

Holy ****!

Your stock intake has definitely been "modified". It looks like the bottom part on each side of the intake is missing. Likely this is causing the airflow getting to the MAF to be irregular causing your codes.

Edit: I just looked on Ebay at some pictures of a complete 2008 C6 intake. https://www.ebay.com/itm/12492132144...QAAOSwrxFhUOuk The bottom plastic boxes are completely missing from your car's intake. With these missing, air is completely bypassing the filters. And with no radiator shroud, no wonder your engine is throwing codes and not running right. Air should be entering the top, sides of the intake, passing through the filters to the bottom plastic boxes and then into the center collector tube then to the engine.

Right now your car is getting extremely turbulent, unfiltered air. You need to correct this ASAP.

Thinking about this further, I would bet you have a good bit of debris lodged into your MAF sensor. I would take all of this apart up to and maybe including the throttle body to make sure everything is okay and to clean. And I would not drive the car anymore before you sort this out.

In addition, the plastic shroud for the radiator and AC condenser is completely missing. You should not be able to see the ground when looking from the engine bay. This is a very important part of the cooling system that you absolutely need on the car.

So you need a new radiator shroud and a new intake (or at least the bottom boxes for the intake). I would recommend upgrading to a 2010 or later intake or a C6 Z06 intake. It will fit perfectly and flows better than the older intakes. You should be able to find both on Ebay.

Whoever did this to this car needs a thorough beating and to banned from ever owning a car ever again.

Last edited by Spaceme1117; 10-07-2021 at 08:42 AM.
Old 10-07-2021, 08:53 AM
EvanZR1
Le Mans Master

Received 2,297 Likes on 1,200 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (performance mods)
C4 of Year Winner (performance mods) 2019

Originally Posted by Hawkeye55
...The seller that I bought from was a dealer, so that didn't know what mods this car had or what the previous owner did to it...This is most likely why I didn't notice this during the test drive. (It was already running and warmed up beforehand).
Unethical dealer there, he knew the car had issues and warmed it up intentionally before your test drive. I'd take it back to him and tell him to fix it otherwise, you'll report him to the state and federal agencies for selling a car with modified emissions (removed cats). That's typically a pretty big fine in most states.

As others have said, you're missing a bunch of stuff for the lower airbox and radiator shroud and your airbox is letting unfiltered air in, causing turbulence and most likely dirtying the maf causing the lean condition codes. I'd seriously question what else is wrong with the car that you don't know about at this point. Honestly unless you're in love with that particular car, I'd be tempted to try and get out of the deal using the emissions threat.
The following users liked this post:
Uncle Creepy (10-07-2021)
Old 10-07-2021, 09:17 AM
JSB LS3
Melting Slicks

Received 52 Likes on 28 Posts

Honestly, removing the cats and cutting up the airbox assembly sounds like some ignorant 1970s hot rod dinosaur logic.

The last owner clearly had zero understanding of how modern cars work. I'm gonna second that suggestion to threaten that scum dealer into taking the car back. Who knows what else the clown they bought that car from might have done to it.

Good luck!
Uncle Creepy (10-07-2021)
Old 10-07-2021, 10:30 AM
Hawkeye55
Heel & Toe

Thanks for all of the replies everyone.

That sucks! I saw that they got this car serviced two times before selling it on the Carfax, so they had to know about this.. I already knew about the cats being removed because he told me. I was not crazy about it but was okay with it. The previous owner sure sounds like a complete ***. I just called the dealer and he said he would pay for any parts that I need. I'll see how that goes..
Old 10-07-2021, 02:22 PM
JSB LS3
Melting Slicks

Received 52 Likes on 28 Posts

That sucks! I saw that they got this car serviced two times before selling it on the Carfax, so they had to know about this.. I already knew about the cats being removed because he told me. I was not crazy about it but was okay with it. The previous owner sure sounds like a complete ***. I just called the dealer and he said he would pay for any parts that I need. I'll see how that goes..
What are your ultimate plans for the car? Do you intend to modify it or just keep it and drive it?

If it's the latter, I'd honestly make the dealer put a set of cats back in the car. Not only will you avoid any and all future problems with an illegal emissions system but you and the car won't stink like gasoline after a long trip.
EvanZR1 (10-07-2021)
Old 10-07-2021, 02:47 PM
Hawkeye55
Heel & Toe

I plan on modding it. I want to throw on some exhaust/headers so I may just have the cats put back on whenever I do that. I know they're really expensive though for what they are.. So far, the gas smell actually isn't too bad. I thought it was going to be much worse. I also live in Florida where there are no emission laws/inspections.

I will probably still push for the dealer to pay for the cats though. Because I do want them back on eventually.
Old 10-07-2021, 03:28 PM
EvanZR1
Le Mans Master

Received 2,297 Likes on 1,200 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (performance mods)
C4 of Year Winner (performance mods) 2019

Originally Posted by JSB LS3
...I'd honestly make the dealer put a set of cats back in the car. Not only will you avoid any and all future problems with an illegal emissions system but you and the car won't stink like gasoline after a long trip.
Good point. I'm not sure why someone would remove the cats without doing long tubes. Kind of pointless for power gain (modern cats don't really lose much, maybe 5HP). And any female you like is going to complain about the smell of not running them.
Old 10-07-2021, 03:55 PM
Hawkeye55
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by EvanZR1
Good point. I'm not sure why someone would remove the cats without doing long tubes. Kind of pointless for power gain (modern cats don't really lose much, maybe 5HP). And any female you like is going to complain about the smell of not running them.
Yep, exactly. Kind of a pointless mod other than making the car louder. Would definitely sound better with proper exhaust, but it will do for now until I decide to do headers/exhaust. Unless of course I can get the dealer to pay for the cats. Which I will be pushing for for sure.

Also, I'm married. So I guess she'll have to live with it for now lol
Old 10-07-2021, 05:56 PM
jamieo
Melting Slicks

Received 547 Likes on 409 Posts

I don't think he can use the Z06 or the LS3 intake as the MAF is completely different.It can be made to work by changing to the newer style MAF and some tuning.Best to just find a used LS2 intake.
Old 10-07-2021, 06:49 PM
BadAV
Race Director

Received 2,696 Likes on 1,710 Posts

Originally Posted by montereyredvette
Its the stock ls2 intake thats been hacked up.
I'm not so sure it's been hacked up. I had an 07 coupe and seem to remember it being open like that. I can't swear to it since I haven't owned it since 2011, so the OP should find someone with an LS2 Vette and take a look. If you look at picture 2 in the linked ebay listing you can clearly see the edges of the filters. It does appear to be missing the bottom of the airbox.

Last edited by BadAV; 10-07-2021 at 06:53 PM.
Old 10-07-2021, 06:50 PM
Uncle Creepy
Instructor

Received 49 Likes on 35 Posts
Default is the dealer Regal?

I am curious about the dealer, but also are all 4 cats gone ? if it's just the 2 on the mid pipe it depends what you want. If some previous owner went through all the trouble to remove the manifolds to gut those cats I'd be very surprised.
Old 10-07-2021, 07:27 PM
ApexClone
Pro

Received 236 Likes on 131 Posts
2022 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

Originally Posted by BadAV
I'm not so sure it's been hacked up. I had an 07 coupe and seem to remember it being open like that. I can't swear to it since I haven't owned it since 2011, so the OP should find someone with an LS2 Vette and take a look. If you look at picture 2 in the linked ebay listing you can clearly see the edges of the filters. It does appear to be missing the bottom of the airbox.
My '07 looks nothing like the OP's car.

https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/F...LS2_engine.jpg

That's what it should look like.
Old 10-07-2021, 07:47 PM
BadAV
Race Director

Received 2,696 Likes on 1,710 Posts

Originally Posted by ApexClone
My '07 looks nothing like the OP's car.

https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/F...LS2_engine.jpg

That's what it should look like.
You can't see the relevant parts in that picture, other than to tell the bottom of the intake is there. It should be easy enough for the OP to find someone with a stock LS2 Vette.

Last edited by BadAV; 10-07-2021 at 08:13 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To C6 Corvette Intake Question

Old 10-07-2021, 08:05 PM
Sunnyvale Dave
Le Mans Master

Received 153 Likes on 122 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16,'19

I realize you want a Corvette, but you should not have to go through all this hassle on a new to you car. CarMax has a 30 day/1500 mile return policy. I would use it.

https://firstquarterfinance.com/carmax-return-policy/

Old 10-07-2021, 08:13 PM
Uncle Creepy
Instructor

Received 49 Likes on 35 Posts
Default Carfax, Carmax,

Originally Posted by Sunnyvale Dave
I realize you want a Corvette, but you should not have to go through all this hassle on a new to you car. CarMax has a 30 day/1500 mile return policy. I would use it.

https://firstquarterfinance.com/carmax-return-policy/
it was a **** dealer & he said he checked Carfax.
Old 10-07-2021, 08:59 PM
BMF_C6
Pro

Received 312 Likes on 187 Posts

Man, take the clamp off of the MAF and pull the whole assembly off and then take some pictures of the whole assembly so we can see what it looks like. Also with it out take some pics looking down where the filters were so we can see all of the items that are missing up front. If my eyes aren't deceiving me - you are missing quite a bit of the radiator ducting.

I would think you best bet would be to get the dealer to buy you a nice Airaid filter or something similar and get rid of that crap that came with your car but you have to get all the items that are missing first!!!

While you got it off - get some MAF cleaner from the nearest Auto Parts and pull the MAF off and clean the crap out of it and then yank that Throttle Body off and give it a good spray down with some carb cleaner.

We will be able to help you a lot better if you pull it completely off and post some more pics.

BMF

Last edited by BMF_C6; 10-07-2021 at 09:50 PM.

Quick Reply: C6 Corvette Intake Question