C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Who is buying a used corvette right now????

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2021, 08:04 PM
BC70
Intermediate

Received 16 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by R&L's C6
The deciding factor for me at this point between a C6 and C7 is parts availability. I somewhat frequently see threads were people say they cant get certain parts anymore for the C6. Purchasing a C7 will push that problem down the road for a bit.
I haven't thought about that and I didn't realize this was an issue with a 10-12 yr old car. I still have some time to decide and there hasn't been a car that I absolutely HAVE to have come up for sale. I have been seeing better deals lately so it's promising.
Old 10-14-2021, 03:07 AM
1sckls1
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

If people are paying these high prices now I don’t see them selling there cars for a lose I don’t think these used corvette prices will come back down to we’re they once were especially if there manual
The following 3 users liked this post by 1sckls1:
FAUEE (10-14-2021), Geoff13IOM6GS (10-15-2021), Red Greene (10-14-2021)
Old 10-15-2021, 10:48 AM
Al.B
Racer

Received 52 Likes on 40 Posts

If someone wants a C6 now, even if they have to pay 5+ grand more than it would have cost 2 years ago, it's still the best bang for their buck sports car available. If you're not in a big rush, you can wait for a decently priced car to pop up, you just have to be ready to move fast to get it. I bought a 30K mile showroom condition 2008 z06 for 41500, consider that pretty fair so there are decent deals out there to be had just not like before.

Last edited by Al.B; 10-15-2021 at 10:54 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Beastifus (10-25-2021)
Old 10-15-2021, 12:26 PM
notalk
Advanced

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by 1sckls1
If people are paying these high prices now I don’t see them selling there cars for a lose I don’t think these used corvette prices will come back down to we’re they once were especially if there manual
If you buy a C6 now, and decide to get a C7 in a year or two, and you find the C7 you really want, you'll sell the C6 for as much as you can, loss or not. Very few people decide to keep a car because its value dropped more than they anticipated; especially if they're selling to buy something else. Plus, many people will sell at a loss to avoid a bigger loss down the road.
Old 10-24-2021, 11:21 AM
Cal Vette
Pro

Received 16 Likes on 5 Posts

Default Bought 2008 in May 2021

Probably paid COVID tax, but hard to find options like NPP, XM, and nav make me feel better.
I paid 38k in May 2021
Now has 13,225 miles in Oct.

The following 2 users liked this post by Cal Vette:
BabyBlueVert (11-23-2021), Xvoyager (10-25-2021)
Old 10-25-2021, 12:26 PM
Xvoyager
Instructor

Received 42 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by Al.B
If someone wants a C6 now, even if they have to pay 5+ grand more than it would have cost 2 years ago, it's still the best bang for their buck sports car available. If you're not in a big rush, you can wait for a decently priced car to pop up, you just have to be ready to move fast to get it. I bought a 30K mile showroom condition 2008 z06 for 41500, consider that pretty fair so there are decent deals out there to be had just not like before.
No doubt...best bang, most affordable!
FAUEE (10-25-2021)
Old 10-25-2021, 12:33 PM
dkpnkc
Burning Brakes

Received 317 Likes on 208 Posts

I check prices on a regular basis and track mine in a spreadsheet for the fun of it. While I know its not an end all number, I use the KBB private sale average as my number. $5k over 2 years ago is about right. In November 2019 I paid $35k for my '11 GS 3LT 6M 5.5k miles. As of today the average private party sale is $40.5k w/ 13.2k miles, which is the minimum I would even think about selling it for.

It's not just Corvettes. My F-150 was $35k in 2018 (XLT 4x4 Supercrew). The price has gone up, down, up, down, up. The high price for private part was $40k. Now it's $36.5k. I don't plan on selling it at this point even with 13-15 mpg (tuned 5.0 running E85).
v4e2r7t (10-31-2021)
Old 10-25-2021, 12:41 PM
mainecobra
Pro

Received 121 Likes on 89 Posts

Originally Posted by Xvoyager
No doubt...best bang, most affordable!
Well i bought a 08 15k mileage 3LZ mint condition for 28k . That was right when covid hit. But keep in mind these cars still need work right off the bat. Heads need to be addressed correctly thats 3-4k , then look at everything else a car from 2008 needs. Then its still a gamble on the Ls7 for rod coating rubbing off and bearings as well. So do these cost 45-50k now? Yes. Are they worth 45-50k ? No. We are just dealing with inflation but that doesn't mean things are “ worth” the inflated price. The consumer sets the price. So as long as people continue to pay the “ covid” tax prices will stay inflated. And yes I agree its all cars / trucks. But people I feel have all lost memory of anything. Shelby GT350 for example, hunk of crap!!! They were selling for low 30k prior , why because they suck!! They motors are garbage and blow up all the time. Now they are selling for 60k plus because suddenly anything had changed? New ram cummins 2500 60k right at the beginning of covid now same truck 80k pkus. People are impatient and need it now. And i get it stressful times and people say screw it and just pay the inflated price. But tomorrow will come and people will be upside down in vehicles. And some can afford the loss but some will not be able to. Im anxious to see what the market looks like in 2 years from now.

Last edited by mainecobra; 10-25-2021 at 12:50 PM.
Old 10-25-2021, 01:24 PM
FAUEE
Race Director

Received 4,502 Likes on 2,826 Posts

It's not a covid tax guys, it's a "stupid fiscal policy" tax. And it's not really a tax, it's that those dollars you saved away are worth less than they were before we printed 10+ years of new money in a year and a half. And they're set to keep printing at that rate.

If the real crazies get their way, these things will be worth 100k in a year or teo
Gypsy883 (10-26-2021)
Old 10-25-2021, 01:28 PM
mainecobra
Pro

Originally Posted by FAUEE
It's not a covid tax guys, it's a "stupid fiscal policy" tax. And it's not really a tax, it's that those dollars you saved away are worth less than they were before we printed 10+ years of new money in a year and a half. And they're set to keep printing at that rate.

If the real crazies get their way, these things will be worth 100k in a year or teo
I agree our money is worth less and its sad to sit back and watch it get worse. Its just beyond frustrating for someone that has saved for years to finally get a new corvette and pay cash to see it all get pulled away because suddenly they are 20k more. Welcome to the world we live in I guess. The division between Rich and poor has never been greater. Middle class gets the shaft as always.

Last edited by mainecobra; 10-25-2021 at 01:30 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by mainecobra:
LS1AB (10-25-2021), rajahhindi (11-16-2021)
Old 10-27-2021, 09:03 PM
drewz06
thing knower
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 926 Likes on 684 Posts

Originally Posted by mainecobra
I agree our money is worth less and its sad to sit back and watch it get worse. Its just beyond frustrating for someone that has saved for years to finally get a new corvette and pay cash to see it all get pulled away because suddenly they are 20k more. Welcome to the world we live in I guess. The division between Rich and poor has never been greater. Middle class gets the shaft as always.
so take out a fixed rate loan and pay the lender back with the dollars that are worth less.... especially with the low interest rates we're seeing at the moment..

lenders take the hit during periods of inflation, look it up...

Last edited by drewz06; 10-27-2021 at 09:04 PM.
Old 10-27-2021, 11:07 PM
Musclefreak
Instructor

Received 68 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by drewz06
so take out a fixed rate loan and pay the lender back with the dollars that are worth less.... especially with the low interest rates we're seeing at the moment..

I agree and if you wait until winter, prices will go down. As the inflation goes up, more people will be squeezed and may be forced to sell. The wrecking ball and his tyrant team in the WH have great disdain and evil designs for we independent peasants. They want to punish us by further picking our pockets with phantom taxes, inflate us into a higher tax bracket, and plan to steal our assets if we let them. In a few months, they made us totally dependent on our enemies for oil and just stranded our citizens and allies in Afghanistan. I say RESIST, RESIST, RESIST!!! Sorry for the rant but we must remain vigilant.
The following 3 users liked this post by Musclefreak:
Beastifus (10-27-2021), rajahhindi (11-16-2021), Red Greene (10-28-2021)
Old 10-28-2021, 07:17 AM
Scuba Ghost
Team Owner

Received 402 Likes on 283 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03-'24

Carvana offered me $33,960 for my 2013 coupe (base) 31,500 miles, 2LT, CRM, Auto. Very tempting but not ready to sell yet.
Old 10-28-2021, 10:04 AM
mainecobra
Pro

Originally Posted by drewz06

That would be a good idea if prices continue to rise but if they fall then the person taking the loan gets screwed. And I dont see this continuing for too much longer. I think it will fall in the near future. And with the constant EV push gas prices will keep creeping up and at some point V8 prices will come down. Imagine paying 85k plus for a hellcat and its $5.00 a gallon for gas. Then all of a sudden prices drop on the hellcat to 65k for the same car? The lender wont be getting screwed on that transaction.
rajahhindi (11-16-2021)
Old 10-28-2021, 06:48 PM
FAUEE
Race Director

That would be a good idea if prices continue to rise but if they fall then the person taking the loan gets screwed. And I dont see this continuing for too much longer. I think it will fall in the near future. And with the constant EV push gas prices will keep creeping up and at some point V8 prices will come down. Imagine paying 85k plus for a hellcat and its $5.00 a gallon for gas. Then all of a sudden prices drop on the hellcat to 65k for the same car? The lender wont be getting screwed on that transaction.
In aboutb14 months the current administration will face a swing in power in congress where they'll be forced to roll back their crap that has spiked gas prices. EVs are set for either a windfall or a major bust.

I suspect that with the high rise in property costs and the extreme increase in consumer goods, the EV market is about to bust as people just don't have the money to splurge on a new vehicle.

You don't have to worry about prices for these cars coming down.. Inflation will keep them climbing, let alone that they're rounding the curve on collector status.

Last edited by FAUEE; 10-28-2021 at 06:49 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by FAUEE:
Beastifus (10-28-2021), rajahhindi (11-16-2021)
Old 10-28-2021, 06:50 PM
LT-1 kid
Melting Slicks

Received 251 Likes on 173 Posts

Originally Posted by NDMIKE88
Carvana offered me $33,960 for my 2013 coupe (base) 31,500 miles, 2LT, CRM, Auto. Very tempting but not ready to sell yet.
that's a very good offer, when things settle down that's a 23k car, with all due respect.
Old 10-28-2021, 06:58 PM
FAUEE
Race Director

Originally Posted by lt-1 kid
that's a very good offer, when things settle down that's a 23k car, with all due respect.
lol...

Get notified of new replies

To Who is buying a used corvette right now????

Old 10-28-2021, 07:49 PM
mainecobra
Pro

In aboutb14 months the current administration will face a swing in power in congress where they'll be forced to roll back their crap that has spiked gas prices. EVs are set for either a windfall or a major bust.

I suspect that with the high rise in property costs and the extreme increase in consumer goods, the EV market is about to bust as people just don't have the money to splurge on a new vehicle.

You don't have to worry about prices for these cars coming down.. Inflation will keep them climbing, let alone that they're rounding the curve on collector status.

Its good to be hopeful but I dont see it going that way at all. Tesla just landed a huge contract with Hertz. Vehicles are used for peoples occupation alot more than ever now with uber ect. Along with other sectors in the transportation industry. Its going EV all the way, sit back and watch it happen.
But maybe its not such a bad thing. 1000hp is totally doable in a EV . If built right , they can be close to maintenance free. Reliable for many many hundreds of thousands of miles. It will be interesting to see how it all goes. For me I am a die hard V8 fan and love how the American V8 American sports cars are just soaring in improvements. We are in a amazing muscle car / sports car era. I say let the USA focus on E85 everywhere and lets the HP wars continue!!!!

Last edited by mainecobra; 10-28-2021 at 08:01 PM.
Old 10-28-2021, 08:06 PM
FAUEE
Race Director

Its good to be hopeful but I dont see it going that way at all. Tesla just landed a huge contract with Hertz. Vehicles are used for peoples occupation alot more than ever now with uber ect. Along with other sectors in the transportation industry. Its going EV all the way, sit back and watch it happen.
But maybe its not such a bad thing. 1000hp is totally doable in a EV . If built right , they can be close to maintenance free. Reliable for many many hundreds of thousands of miles. It will be interesting to see how it all goes.
The hertz deal is weird, because hertz is leasing them to Uber for drivers to rent. It's very odd, where hertz, who just emerged from bankruptcy and liquidating most of its assets, is now going to own a bunch of teslas for Uber "independent contractors" to rent, to use as taxis. It truly doesn't make sense for the deal to be structured this way, it's like Uber wanted the drivers to do it, but couldn't force them down on them or didn't want the massively depreciating asset, so they found a sucker to hold the liability for them.

I hear the reliability thing mentioned a lot. It's not true. What goes bad on vehicles isn't engines or transmissions typically. It's things like AC, suspension, or the big one, electronics. More vehicles get scrapped because a BCM goes bad than because the motor goes out nowadays. EVs are packed full of failure prone electronics, with the added benefit of a battery pack that will degrade its usefulness significantly over its shorter lifespan and an ICE.

I think the automakers that are investing so heavily into EVs are going to be in real hot water if consumer trends on EV non-adoption continue. Right now they have supply chain issues to help them force EVs, but whenever a company gets their production rolling again... It's bad news for companies like Ford pushing their EVs over gas vehicles., because then you'll have to WANT the battery powered car.

That said, I think 1000hp cars being routinely available on the road is a terrible idea. The average driver can handle 200 to 250 hp, assuming they pay attention. But they don't, so they can handle about 2hp. Giving every frat boy with a trust fund 1000hp is a recipe for disaster.
rajahhindi (11-16-2021)
Old 10-28-2021, 08:25 PM
mainecobra
Pro

The hertz deal is weird, because hertz is leasing them to Uber for drivers to rent. It's very odd, where hertz, who just emerged from bankruptcy and liquidating most of its assets, is now going to own a bunch of teslas for Uber "independent contractors" to rent, to use as taxis. It truly doesn't make sense for the deal to be structured this way, it's like Uber wanted the drivers to do it, but couldn't force them down on them or didn't want the massively depreciating asset, so they found a sucker to hold the liability for them.

I hear the reliability thing mentioned a lot. It's not true. What goes bad on vehicles isn't engines or transmissions typically. It's things like AC, suspension, or the big one, electronics. More vehicles get scrapped because a BCM goes bad than because the motor goes out nowadays. EVs are packed full of failure prone electronics, with the added benefit of a battery pack that will degrade its usefulness significantly over its shorter lifespan and an ICE.

I think the automakers that are investing so heavily into EVs are going to be in real hot water if consumer trends on EV non-adoption continue. Right now they have supply chain issues to help them force EVs, but whenever a company gets their production rolling again... It's bad news for companies like Ford pushing their EVs over gas vehicles., because then you'll have to WANT the battery powered car.

That said, I think 1000hp cars being routinely available on the road is a terrible idea. The average driver can handle 200 to 250 hp, assuming they pay attention. But they don't, so they can handle about 2hp. Giving every frat boy with a trust fund 1000hp is a recipe for disaster.
Do recognize us cars guys are a dying breed. More and more people have zero clue about cars, what makes them tick and how to work on them or even the want. They want to go from A to B while using their cellphone in every way possible. Dont miss a face book post or a tiktok dance. Dave Chapelle quoted in one of his recent specials “ our society is becoming a bunch of bit$& a$$ nig@a$” look around there is alot of truth to that. Dude Teslas have self driving mode…. Once again self driving mode… What car guy wants that!!!!!! NOBODY!!!!

The people that wreck and 1000hp car will wreck a 500 hp car, rich kids will always have sports cars and wreck them, that wont change in the EV world. And 1000hp cars wont be the majority , they will be Volts and Prius's every where parked in the starbucks line taking a selfie. PUKE ….
I do agree on the electronics going bad and other electrical components. Thats why I stated “ built right” which could happen but no so much currently. But that can change when all the other big car companies follow suite and race to the profits. Like i said I hope Im wrong because I dont like seeing where things are headed.

Last edited by mainecobra; 10-28-2021 at 08:30 PM.
rajahhindi (11-16-2021)

Quick Reply: Who is buying a used corvette right now????