C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Audio Problem

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2021, 08:58 AM
rothjohn
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Audio Problem

My 1 year old head unit is having problems. When outside temps are around 80 degrees and inside temps after sitting in sun are very hot, the system works. When it cools down, no audio.

I can see the the radio and CD are playing but I hear nothing under the cool situation.

Also, when cool, calls thru both Apple Car Play and Bluetooth can be heard by the person at the other end, but I cannot hear them reply (and I’m sure they have heard me and are trying to reply.

I’ve checked the fuse for the audio amplifier and all is OK.

So is the problem with the head unit or is it the Corvette (C6 2012 GS) audio amplifier or something else?

TIA.
Old 09-06-2021, 09:13 AM
jrose7004
Team Owner

Received 1,680 Likes on 1,302 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

Here's a whole forum for audio. https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...lectronics-20/
Old 09-06-2021, 09:20 AM
dar322
Burning Brakes

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13

I'm guessing headunit. get rid of it.
The following users liked this post:
FAUEE (09-06-2021)
Old 09-06-2021, 10:23 AM
TorchRedFred
Le Mans Master

Received 1,636 Likes on 1,121 Posts

Originally Posted by rothjohn
So is the problem with the head unit or is it the Corvette (C6 2012 GS) audio amplifier or something else?

TIA.
That's going to be difficult to say. Either the head unit, the amp, or the interface module stuffed behind the head unit and or one of the wire connections. Did you install it yourself? If so, I would start with opening everything up and pulling out the head unit, and then trying to recreate the issue to see if the issue may be with the interface module harness. Did you use the Pac RP5-GM11 interface? A wiring harness interface is a necessary evil, and I say that because quality control can be an issue with all the wiring harness brands. They are cheaply built and can sometimes be the problem. I had an issue with mine when I first did my install. I was losing some of my speakers and would only get full sound when I held and applied pressure to the plug. I replaced the blue Pac box with another and it solved my issue. Luckily I discovered this during the install before everything was closed up.
Old 09-06-2021, 11:13 AM
madsonp
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,772 Likes on 1,177 Posts

What brand/model head unit to you have ? I agree with Fred and pull the head unit out and look for loose connections/pinched wiring etc. If you are using the PAC RP5GM 11, check and see if it has the jumper wires installed as shown on page 5 here. https://pdf.crutchfieldonline.com/Im...541RP5GM11.PDF These interfaces have been known to fail without the jumpers installed, the factory has even since installed them on the newer versions. The problem is that if this is the issue chances are adding them at this point probably won't help because once they start to go they go, so the only other thing to do is to get a new revised interface, but it might be an indicator of the potential problem. Another thing you could do is bench test the head unit to rule out the head unit being bad. but that would be a bit of work because you'd need to disconnect all the wiring from the interface, test it, then hook it all back up

Last edited by madsonp; 09-06-2021 at 11:14 AM.
Old 09-22-2021, 10:39 AM
madsonp
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,772 Likes on 1,177 Posts

Originally Posted by rothjohn
My 1 year old head unit is having problems. When outside temps are around 80 degrees and inside temps after sitting in sun are very hot, the system works. When it cools down, no audio.

I can see the the radio and CD are playing but I hear nothing under the cool situation.

Also, when cool, calls thru both Apple Car Play and Bluetooth can be heard by the person at the other end, but I cannot hear them reply (and I’m sure they have heard me and are trying to reply.

I’ve checked the fuse for the audio amplifier and all is OK.

TIA.
Did you get your problem solved ?

Get notified of new replies

To Audio Problem

Quick Reply: Audio Problem