C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My car is leaking more gas that Saudi Arabia!

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2021, 11:16 PM
DerrickW
Drifting

Received 205 Likes on 112 Posts
Default My car is leaking more gas that Saudi Arabia!

(Saudi produces crude not gasoline...I know, I know.) So the good news is - I probably don't have the problem with my sending unit I thought I had. The bad news is...

Car left me stranded & out of gas again today. (Some may recall I posted about this happening a few weeks ago.) Like the last time, fuel gauge indicated 2/3 full, got to about an indicated 1/2 full and *wham* straight to an indicated empty and "Low Fuel" warning idiot light. So I'm thinking, "This damn gauge & sending unit again", ..& that I've really got about a 1/2 tank and the gauge is simply lying to me. A few moments later it dies. Leaves me stranded on the side of the street,...again. Rather than call a truck (like last time) & have it towed to a shop (who just put a couple of gallons in the tank & 'fixed' the problem) I call a buddy & have him bring a can. 30 min later he shows up, we dump in a gallon & a half or so and I make the drive to the nearest station which is a mile away. As I pull up ...it dies. Out of gas. WTH?! ONE mile to the gallon?

I ask a guy who was getting gas if he'd mind lending me a little muscle and we push it the final 15 feet to the pump. It gulps down $75 (don't get me started) worth of premium. So I'm thinking from now on I go by trip odo not fuel gauge. Fill to the brim > drive off 200 miles > refill = the rest of my life. I zero a trip odo. On the way back home, while stopped at light I noticed I'm down to about 7/8 tank. WTH?! So I start eyeballing the gauge and I can literally see is going down as I drive! 7/8...3/4...the gauge is dropping right before my eyes. Instead of miles-per-gallon I'm now getting gallons-per-mile. I make it back home, 4.38 miles and now have just over an (indicated) 1/2 tank. I get stopped on the driveway waiting for the door to go up, pull in, shut her down and sure enough, big puddle in the driveway where I was stopped and idling, with a trail of dribble leading to & from. Grrrrr!!!!
Old 09-01-2021, 12:50 AM
TorchRedFred
Le Mans Master

Received 1,636 Likes on 1,121 Posts

Well, the good news is..... it sounds like your fuel gauge is working just fine.
The following users liked this post:
Al Slick (09-01-2021)
Old 09-01-2021, 01:40 AM
DerrickW
Drifting

Originally Posted by TorchRedFred
Well, the good news is..... it sounds like your fuel gauge is working just fine.
I hate chur stink'n guts.
The following users liked this post:
Al Slick (09-01-2021)
Old 09-01-2021, 06:12 AM
449er
Race Director

Received 4,743 Likes on 3,019 Posts
2023 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2022 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2021 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

Originally Posted by TorchRedFred
lol, I guess the gauge does work....more importantly, I wouldn't park that car in your garage or you may not have a garage ( or a house ) anymore...get that car towed to a repair shop now!!
Old 09-01-2021, 01:03 PM
DerrickW
Drifting

I recall past posts about this C6 leaky gas tank issue but I'm remote all day today bumping around in a rental car in & out of coverage. Would someone be good enough to post a link? I'll thank you and promise to be your friend forever.
Old 09-01-2021, 02:15 PM
zaragoza
Race Director

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14

Originally Posted by DerrickW
I recall past posts about this C6 leaky gas tank issue but I'm remote all day today bumping around in a rental car in & out of coverage. Would someone be good enough to post a link? I'll thank you and promise to be your friend forever.

Take a real good look around both tanks, if they are leaking you will find puddles .

Also check connectors for fuel pump. I found that mine were leaking, In the end I had both tanks and all related connectors replaced.$$$$$$$$$$$$

Last edited by zaragoza; 09-01-2021 at 02:17 PM.
Old 09-01-2021, 02:35 PM
DerrickW
Drifting

Originally Posted by zaragoza
Take a real good look around both tanks, if they are leaking you will find puddles .
Thanks, brudda, but at this point I really don't need to wonder about whether its leaking. Its gushing!
$$$$ ....oh man, and here I am smack in the middle of a complete home remodel (a rental property), just handed the landscaper a check for $10k yesterday and the roofer a $3400 deposit. Life is timing and this car is proving to be a master at lousy timing.
Old 09-01-2021, 04:42 PM
smkymntn
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

had same issues- had to replace sending (plastic bullshit) unit and did both sides while i was in there. Now no issues.
Old 09-02-2021, 10:30 PM
BMF_C6
Pro

Received 312 Likes on 187 Posts

DW, I am guessing the putting it on jack stands & creepering under her while running never happened???? Sounds like it's going to be on the high pressure side of the pump. Time to get her in the air and fix her before you lite up like Richard Pryor free basing .......(saw a damn good documentary on him last night) ......lol

Good Luck my friend,

BMF

Last edited by BMF_C6; 09-02-2021 at 10:33 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To My car is leaking more gas that Saudi Arabia!

Quick Reply: My car is leaking more gas that Saudi Arabia!