C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C6 ZR1 Style Aftermarket Wheel Question

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2021, 03:42 AM
ffas23
Melting Slicks

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

Default C6 ZR1 Style Aftermarket Wheel Question

For the last few months I have been trying to purchase a set of four Chrome 18x8.5 and 19x10 ZR1 Style Aftermarket Wheels for my 2006 Base Coupe. Everyone and their brother out there are out of the 18x8.5 telling me they are pretty much all sourcing this wheel from the same overseas Supplier. I was on a waiting list going back to May being my source was out of both sizes that I needed listed above. By the end of July I received a email telling me the rear 19x10 came in. Called the company but was reluctant to purchase just the rears knowing I would only have 30 days to send them back if the others haven't come in. I was assured the others I needed were right behind their last shipment of the 19x10 so I placed my order for them. Well my window of time is closing fast and the 18x8.5 Front Wheels I hear lately may not be in for 5-6 months so I made the call and asked for a UPS Call tag to be sent to me so I can send the two 19x10 back that are still sitting in the boxes they were shipped in. I have until the the end of next week to send them back. My Question here is that I located 18x9.5 wheels from another source that are in stock. They are 1 inch wider then my stock 5 spoke wheels GM installed on my car. My question to the rest of you is your thoughts of me going with the 18x9.5 being I can't get the 18x8.5 that is called for on my car. If I could use them with the 19x10 rears that I already have here without a problem I keep telling myself why not but I thought I should come here to see what other forum members think about this possible move to alleviate my problem at hand. Have any of you put on 18x9.5 wheels on the front of your C6 base Coupe to replace your stock 18x8.5 factory wheels?

Last edited by ffas23; 08-20-2021 at 03:45 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 08-20-2021, 04:41 AM
JSB LS3
Melting Slicks

Received 52 Likes on 28 Posts

You didn't mention the offset on the 18x9.5s.

There are two 18x9.5" wheel specs commonly used on the reproduction wheels made for late model vettes. The first are the fronts on 06-13 C6 Z06s and Grand Sports. Those have a 40mm offset which is going to move the outer face of the wheel out 29mm. That's an awful lot in my opinion. They will likely poke out past the fenders and even if they don't actually rub on anything, they're going to look weird given the stock offset in the rear.

The second possibility is the 18x9.5s that are the OEM rear wheel size on C5 non-Z06s. These have a 57 mm offset. The end result would be the outer edge of the wheel sitting out 12mm further than stock (probably acceptable) but the inside edge of the wheel will have 14mm LESS clearance than stock. I honestly don't know if the C6 has 14mm to give up front but I don't think I'd want to take the chance buying the wheels only to find out they don't clear the front suspension.

It's just my opinion but neither of those options sounds like something I'd want to spend my money on. Have you thought about a set of replica C7 Z06 wheels? They're a relatively similar style to the C6 ZR1 wheel and they might be easier to get a whole set of in proper sizes.

Good luck with whatever you decide!

Last edited by JSB LS3; 08-20-2021 at 04:44 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by JSB LS3:
4SUMERZ (08-20-2021), ffas23 (08-20-2021)
Old 08-20-2021, 05:47 AM
ffas23
Melting Slicks

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by JSB LS3
You didn't mention the offset on the 18x9.5s.

There are two 18x9.5" wheel specs commonly used on the reproduction wheels made for late model vettes. The first are the fronts on 06-13 C6 Z06s and Grand Sports. Those have a 40mm offset which is going to move the outer face of the wheel out 29mm. That's an awful lot in my opinion. They will likely poke out past the fenders and even if they don't actually rub on anything, they're going to look weird given the stock offset in the rear.

The second possibility is the 18x9.5s that are the OEM rear wheel size on C5 non-Z06s. These have a 57 mm offset. The end result would be the outer edge of the wheel sitting out 12mm further than stock (probably acceptable) but the inside edge of the wheel will have 14mm LESS clearance than stock. I honestly don't know if the C6 has 14mm to give up front but I don't think I'd want to take the chance buying the wheels only to find out they don't clear the front suspension.

It's just my opinion but neither of those options sounds like something I'd want to spend my money on. Have you thought about a set of replica C7 Z06 wheels? They're a relatively similar style to the C6 ZR1 wheel and they might be easier to get a whole set of in proper sizes.

Good luck with whatever you decide!
Thanks for your quick response. You surely answered my question. Those wheels are 18x9.5 5x4.75" +40mm and based on what you are telling me you saved me from making a big mistake and finding out the hard way. I surely would of not been happy with the out come. Glad I checked on the forum here before I made a move. Yes I did take a look at the C7 Style ZR1 wheel but I really don't care for the look so I didn't make a move on them. The main thing here is you saved me from making a bad decision. I really don't want to send my rear 19x10 wheels back but I also don't want to get stuck with them if for some reason they never get those 8.5 wheels in. I was just looking for a change in looks from my factory Polished Aluminum 5 spokes. I planned to go non run/flat on my new wheels also. Thanks again.

Get notified of new replies

To C6 ZR1 Style Aftermarket Wheel Question

Quick Reply: C6 ZR1 Style Aftermarket Wheel Question