C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Can I disable passive locking?

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2021, 06:24 PM
69hugger396
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Can I disable passive locking?

I have a 2008 base coupe and I was hoping to disable the automatic door locking feature. I don't have an owners manual and I have tried looking it up online to no avail. I really don't need to lock my car and it's been a huge pain in the butt having to go get my fob every time I want to get in the car. Thanks
Old 08-11-2021, 06:34 PM
madsonp
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,772 Likes on 1,177 Posts

Don't think you looked very hard https://my.chevrolet.com/content/dam...tte_owners.pdf
Old 08-11-2021, 06:49 PM
69hugger396
Cruising

Originally Posted by madsonp
Well thanks for the info but I wasn't looking for the manual while I wasn't looking very hard. I was searching for directions on how to disable the passive locking. Just thought someone here might know how to do it.
Old 08-11-2021, 06:52 PM
madsonp
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

There's this also.

Old 08-11-2021, 07:02 PM
69hugger396
Cruising

Thanks, I will go try it. This car pisses me off so bad I wish I had my C5 back. Don't need all the gimmicks.
Old 08-11-2021, 07:20 PM
madsonp
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by 69hugger396
Thanks, I will go try it. This car pisses me off so bad I wish I had my C5 back. Don't need all the gimmicks.
Glad to help, be sure to let us know how things turn out, Yeah there's lots of gimmicks, but I think once you get to know everything, you'll really enjoy the car. Here's a link to the rest of the Getting to know your 2008 Corvette for you to read, I think you'll find it helpful. https://my.chevrolet.com/content/dam...te_getknow.pdf
Old 08-11-2021, 07:22 PM
BWF07
Le Mans Master

Received 822 Likes on 391 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11
Oldtimer

If you don't have an owners manual I recommend downloading it to you laptop, PC Tablet or what ever you use so you can look these things up.
Old 08-11-2021, 07:32 PM
madsonp
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by BWF07
If you don't have an owners manual I recommend downloading it to you laptop, PC Tablet or what ever you use so you can look these things up.
Yep, he has links to both manuals now, you'll defiantly want to read them so you know about things like reindexing the window, what to do if the battery goes dead in your fob and so on and so on. Reading these can save you a lot of hassles down the road.
Old 08-11-2021, 10:36 PM
owc6
Team Owner

Received 4,191 Likes on 2,681 Posts

Well thanks for the info but I wasn't looking for the manual while I wasn't looking very hard. I was searching for directions on how to disable the passive locking. Just thought someone here might know how to do it.
Many here do know how.

Reminds me of a time when I was in the waiting room when my '14 Vert was getting an oil change, and a guy in a Silverado showed up to the service department because he couldn't figure out how to get the heated/cooled seats to work. Overhearing the convo, I piped in and told him he needed to have only heated or cooled on in his settings or neither would work (if both were turned on). I asked him why he didn't look it up in the OM, and he said it was just easier to have the experts tell him.

Old 08-12-2021, 02:48 PM
C6 Snowboarder
Race Director

Received 684 Likes on 372 Posts

Old 08-12-2021, 04:23 PM
Colonel
Drifting

Received 279 Likes on 187 Posts

69hugger396, I hope you don't mind me asking about a similar issue that gets on my nerves. WHY OH WHY do I have to hit the UNLOCK button every time I want to get out of the car for a minute with the car still running? According to the manual, the only way time "Auto Unlock" function works on an M6 car is AFTER you turn the engine off (with the parking brake on, of course). If it were an auto it would auto unlock once the tranny is in P. With an M6 it stays locked until you either kill the engine or hit the button yourself each and every time you get out of the car with the engine running.

So, the question is simply "is there a way to fix or get around this annoyance?" It would be fine with me it it never auto locked to begin with. I can lock my own door if I need to thank you very much.
Old 08-12-2021, 05:23 PM
07MontyRed
Drifting

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 215 Likes on 139 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13,'14-'15-'16-'17-‘18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Lifetime Member

C5 had passive locking also ... so I not understand the OP's rant against the C6.
Old 08-12-2021, 06:39 PM
69hugger396
Cruising

Originally Posted by 07MontyRed
C5 had passive locking also ... so I not understand the OP's rant against the C6.
Passive locking was an option in C5s and you could disable it by simply flipping a switch on the fob. There are a lot of things I really could do without on my C6. The electric door latches for one, I have already had a few passengers who had trouble opening the door, same thing happened with my CTS coupe. I'd rather have mechanically operated door latches and a key switch ignition. the layers of backup needed to accommodate the keyless entry and push button start are ridiculous IMO, just to have a feature that really is no more convenient and leaves me nowhere to hang my key. I have had a lot of Cadillacs with both types of entry and ignition and the keyless is always a pain in the ***. A weak battery in the fob will get you locked out of the CTS and the Corvette if you leave the fob in the car. I live in a zero crime area so I don't need the car to lock when I walk away or when the car thinks I did.
Old 08-12-2021, 10:58 PM
JABCAT
Race Director

Received 8,897 Likes on 4,284 Posts
2020 C6 of the Year Winner - Modified

Passive locking was an option in C5s and you could disable it by simply flipping a switch on the fob.
And it’s easily disabled by hitting the Options button to the right of your steering wheel and turning that feature off.
Old 08-12-2021, 11:35 PM
owc6
Team Owner

Received 4,191 Likes on 2,681 Posts

Passive locking was an option in C5s and you could disable it by simply flipping a switch on the fob. There are a lot of things I really could do without on my C6. The electric door latches for one, I have already had a few passengers who had trouble opening the door, same thing happened with my CTS coupe. I'd rather have mechanically operated door latches and a key switch ignition. the layers of backup needed to accommodate the keyless entry and push button start are ridiculous IMO, just to have a feature that really is no more convenient and leaves me nowhere to hang my key. I have had a lot of Cadillacs with both types of entry and ignition and the keyless is always a pain in the ***. A weak battery in the fob will get you locked out of the CTS and the Corvette if you leave the fob in the car. I live in a zero crime area so I don't need the car to lock when I walk away or when the car thinks I did.
Passive unlocking and passive locking (aka auto lock) are two different things.

The C5 system does not work the same way the C6/C7 system does, and fob proximity makes no difference to battery life.

Old 08-13-2021, 12:07 AM
madsonp
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Just disable it like mentioned. Your car should have also came with a key for the rear hatch, should you have fob issues to where you can't open the doors. This allows you to open the hatch via the key slot above the rear license plate to access the door release handle on the left side of the trunk. All this is covered in the Getting to know your Corvette link I posted, there again you need to read this so you understand all the features of the car.
Old 08-13-2021, 07:14 AM
dshamrick
Burning Brakes

Received 258 Likes on 149 Posts

Or, what you can do if you park somewhere where you don't want it to lock but like to keep the feature on. Turn car off, open door, press and hold the unlock button for something like 5 seconds and it will beep. Car will not lock. Once you start it and shut down again, passive locking will go back into effect.

I do that when I put it in the garage. I don't have to worry about it out and about but in the garage I can get into it without the FOB nearby
The following users liked this post:
ErikR (08-13-2021)

Get notified of new replies

To Can I disable passive locking?

Old 08-13-2021, 11:42 AM
ErikR
Drifting

Received 130 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by dshamrick
Or, what you can do if you park somewhere where you don't want it to lock but like to keep the feature on. Turn car off, open door, press and hold the unlock button for something like 5 seconds and it will beep. Car will not lock. Once you start it and shut down again, passive locking will go back into effect.

I do that when I put it in the garage. I don't have to worry about it out and about but in the garage I can get into it without the FOB nearby

I did not know this, I'll have to try this out!... Like you say, handy for parking in the garage and not needing to track down the fob to get in to the car to retrieve something.. Thanks!
Old 08-13-2021, 12:42 PM
jdurhan
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 87 Likes on 37 Posts
2020 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

You don't need to get your fob out to unlock car, just use touch pad and open door. Very easy and convenient
Old 08-13-2021, 12:46 PM
Colonel
Drifting

Received 279 Likes on 187 Posts

"And it’s easily disabled by hitting the Options button to the right of your steering wheel and turning that feature off."

Disabling the Auto Lock "feature" in the Options menu doesn't seem to be possible with a ZR1, at least. I can disable the auto UNlock but not the auto LOCK and it won't auto unlock unless I turn the engine off.

Quick Reply: Can I disable passive locking?