C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Adhesive bleeding through paint

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2021, 02:11 PM
chucks00
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cruise-In III & VI Veteran

Default Adhesive bleeding through paint

I just bought a C6 and one of the issues is that the adhesive is bleeding through the paint. This is mostly happening on the hood. Has anyone else see this and what is the best way to fix.

When they bond the body panels together they use an adhesive. That adhesive is causing the paint to discolor. So there are lines on my hood.

Here you can see the issue.

Last edited by chucks00; 07-20-2021 at 04:14 PM.
Old 07-20-2021, 03:07 PM
sramzzz
Drifting

Received 975 Likes on 627 Posts

Are you referring to having clear film on your car and the adhesive is lifting the paint?
Old 07-20-2021, 03:37 PM
BWF07
Le Mans Master

Received 826 Likes on 393 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11
Oldtimer

Can you me a little more specific as to what you mean by adhesive.?
Old 07-20-2021, 06:34 PM
skykingturbo
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I once had a 2007 Black Convertible Z51 7-spd that my wife and I drove coast to coast. I was polishing the car, I noticed a distinct pattern of circular spots of crinkly texture on the trunk lid that sounds like the problem you describe. I took it to a custom paint shop, where I was advised that he could fix it, but he thought GM would want to know about it and I should first take it to a Chevy dealer. I took it to our club sponsor at the time (since has gone out of business), and said he would discuss it with the zone manager. Their proposal was that I would pay half the cost of replacing the lid. Later that year our club was on a road trip that included dinner at the Ntl Corvette Museum, and the plant manager happened to attend. He walked to our table and asked if everything was going well for us. I couldn't resist telling him about my trunk lid. He asked to see it, then asked that when we get home to send him some photos of the blemishes. The day after I sent the photos I got a call from the paint manager at the plant asking where to send my new trunk lid which was was to be replaced at no charge to me.

There were two factors that facilitated this resolution. First of all, the plant manager was involved. Second, the C6 was still in current production. So, that's a long winded way of telling you that at one time Chevy acknowledged that that was a problem, and it might be worth a trip to your Chevy dealer to see if they want to help out. Good luck.
Old 07-20-2021, 06:52 PM
TorchRedFred
Le Mans Master

Received 1,634 Likes on 1,119 Posts

This is a known issue. Not sure what the remedy is other than to repaint the hood. But like you said, it’s the adhesive that holds the hood, that is leaking through and ruining the paint. There was some threads on this and every picture of the effected hoods was exactly the same pattern.
Old 07-20-2021, 08:29 PM
TorchRedFred
Le Mans Master

Here is one of the threads. And some pictures from the thread.
https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...ood-marks.html

And another thread,
https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...way-it-is.html

Old 07-20-2021, 10:51 PM
buckmeister2
Le Mans Master

Received 1,206 Likes on 824 Posts

It's in the paint, not the clear coat. It happened with my JSB, and now with my Carbon Fiber Metallic (CE). Possibly due to lots of sun exposure, but that is just a guess. In both cases, I had the hood completely repainted. Paint estimates were $675 to $1800.
Old 07-20-2021, 11:08 PM
4SUMERZ
Race Car Tech
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,331 Likes on 1,667 Posts

This must not be too common an issue. I have a 2006 with original paint, and I see no blemishes, etc.
I must of missed the older threads on this issue.
I'm wondering if they used various kinds of adhesive, and one of those attacked the paint as it bled through the smc hood.

Good Luck
Old 07-21-2021, 12:10 AM
Iceaxe
Safety Car

Received 2,610 Likes on 1,395 Posts

Just curious.... what is glued down? I've had the hood pad off of my 2011 C6 and don't remember anything being glued down. Everything was attached with plastic push pins. But I also wasnt looking for glue.
Old 07-21-2021, 01:09 AM
chucks00
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cruise-In III & VI Veteran

Originally Posted by Iceaxe
Just curious.... what is glued down? I've had the hood pad off of my 2011 C6 and don't remember anything being glued down. Everything was attached with plastic push pins. But I also wasnt looking for glue.
the hood is actually 2 pieces. The outer shell and the support. They are sandwiched together.
Old 07-24-2021, 01:11 PM
buckmeister2
Le Mans Master

Received 1,206 Likes on 824 Posts

Originally Posted by 4SUMERZ
This must not be too common an issue. I have a 2006 with original paint, and I see no blemishes, etc.
I must of missed the older threads on this issue.
I'm wondering if they used various kinds of adhesive, and one of those attacked the paint as it bled through the smc hood.

Good Luck
Sumerz, I have a feeling that it is more likely to happen with the metallic colors, and/or if the vehicle is constantly parked in hot, direct, sunlight. It happened on my '08 JSB, and now on my '12 CE (carbon fibre metallic). I live in Vegas, and the car is parked outside all year long.
Old 07-24-2021, 01:33 PM
sd45t2
Instructor

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 109 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by buckmeister2
It's in the paint, not the clear coat. It happened with my JSB, and now with my Carbon Fiber Metallic (CE). Possibly due to lots of sun exposure, but that is just a guess. In both cases, I had the hood completely repainted. Paint estimates were $675 to $1800.
So did repainting keep the issue from occurring again at a later time? Thanks
Old 07-24-2021, 05:42 PM
TorchRedFred
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by buckmeister2
Sumerz, I have a feeling that it is more likely to happen with the metallic colors, and/or if the vehicle is constantly parked in hot, direct, sunlight. It happened on my '08 JSB, and now on my '12 CE (carbon fibre metallic). I live in Vegas, and the car is parked outside all year long.

My guess it has to do with the heat from the sun. I wonder if you took a temperature gun and took a temperature measurement at different points on the hood during a hot sunny day. I wonder if the parts where the adhesive is, gets hotter than the rest of the hood and cooks the paint. Just a guess though, my car is always in the garage when home so I never checked my hypothesis
The following users liked this post:
FAUEE (07-24-2021)
Old 07-24-2021, 09:16 PM
FAUEE
Race Director

Received 4,482 Likes on 2,819 Posts

Originally Posted by TorchRedFred
My guess it has to do with the heat from the sun. I wonder if you took a temperature gun and took a temperature measurement at different points on the hood during a hot sunny day. I wonder if the parts where the adhesive is, gets hotter than the rest of the hood and cooks the paint. Just a guess though, my car is always in the garage when home so I never checked my hypothesis
Agreed. I don't think the color of the paint is going to have anything to do with what leeches up through FRP. It being stored outside and that surface getting to be like 200+ degrees has more to do with it.

Get notified of new replies

To Adhesive bleeding through paint

Quick Reply: Adhesive bleeding through paint