C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Prices pre COVID

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2021, 09:14 PM
TheCure17
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Prices pre COVID

Long time user of the forum however lost my account so had to create a new one.
Dad had a 1998 torch red auto that I fixed up after it had been sitting for a while this was quite a few years ago but he got way over what it was worth as a trade in for a new car for my mom. I was somewhat in the market at that time for a C5 but timing wasn’t perfect and low mile cars were out of my realistic price range. Now I am kind of looking again but this time for a C6, I know all used car prices are extremely high right now due to the virus however in the past year or so how high has the market gone in the corvette world?
Its been 4-5 years since I really paid attention to the corvette world. For reference I would like to find a sub 30-40k mile car, 6 speed with ls3. I would consider grand sports but don’t plan on spending more than 30-32k. I understand that a GS isn’t realistic at the price range in the current market but with it being so high where would you speculate it goes? From the looks of it a base C6 could be had rather easily at that price depending on options.
Any insight to the market and where it was would be appreciated!
Old 07-13-2021, 10:01 PM
FAUEE
Race Director

Received 4,483 Likes on 2,820 Posts

Lots of opinions. My take, inflation is out of control, and will continue to be so. I expect prices to stay flat, maybe increase. Depends how bad inflation gets.

If you find the car you want, I'd buy it now. They're not making more of these after all.
The following 3 users liked this post by FAUEE:
Jason71 (07-14-2021), killain (07-14-2021), novaks47 (07-26-2021)
Old 07-13-2021, 10:10 PM
pewter99
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,195 Likes on 704 Posts
Pilot of Beer Force 1
Tampa Regional Coordinator
CI 4-5-6-7-8 Veteran
Organizer St. Jude Fundraiser
I believe in the Beer Fairy

what was your old username??? we can merge the accts
Old 07-14-2021, 08:18 AM
sramzzz
Drifting

Received 974 Likes on 626 Posts

I agree with Fauee. It is going to take the market sometime to self correct and that is not going to be anytime soon. Based on what I have been seeing Vette prices are up 3 to 5K over what they were a year ago. So your choices are to wait and see or get it now and enjoy.
Old 07-14-2021, 08:48 AM
C6_GS
Intermediate

Received 25 Likes on 11 Posts

I was looking for a C6 Grand Sport (hence the username) last year and good examples were going for $35k or so in early 2020. I ended up buying a new C7 because they were so heavily discounted after the C8 was announced (got mine for $49k).

Now those same Grand Sports are going for $45k easily and I sold my C7 after a year of ownership and 7k miles to Carvana for $56k and got on the list for a C8. What a crazy world it is.

The prices will probably stay high for a while. It's still a 10-12 month wait for a C8 at MSRP so buying a new Corvette right now means spending six figures or waiting a year. Combined with the broader economic factors, I don't see prices going down any time soon.

Last edited by C6_GS; 07-14-2021 at 08:50 AM.
Old 07-14-2021, 01:34 PM
Geoff13IOM6GS
Safety Car

Received 266 Likes on 146 Posts

GS are up 8-12k - base is up 5-8k. Like always, the price is determined by how much someone will actually pay for it. I believe once new car production comes back (not necessarily C8) everything will start to settle down. so maybe first quarter 2022???
Old 07-14-2021, 02:08 PM
4SUMERZ
Race Car Tech
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,331 Likes on 1,667 Posts

Welcome back to the forum. Hopefully you can find something in your price range. I personally wouldn't be stuck on the mileage as long as it was well kept. If you raise that mileage up another 10-15k miles, your C6 can be found within your price range.
I have owned my C6 for 11 years, and it now has 112,000 miles of smiles on the clock. We have used this as our road trip car since 2010. It has been a great vehicle, with little to no issues over those miles. Except for Tires, TPMS sensors, sway bar end links, Shocks, fluid changes as required, the only thing that I had go bad was the water pump at 30k miles. The engine still sounds great, regular oil changes, etc.
If you plan on keeping it, then miles should be a non issue, unless you plan on parking it in the garage, and only taking it to car shows, or Sunday drives,. There is nothing wrong with that, if that is what you are buying it for.
There is a popular misconception that miles on a Corvette is a bad thing. I almost bought into that, but I found out early that I liked driving it more than I liked sitting behind it at car shows.

Good Luck with your search
The following 2 users liked this post by 4SUMERZ:
novaks47 (07-26-2021), sonik_fury (07-14-2021)
Old 07-14-2021, 06:15 PM
TheCure17
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by pewter99
what was your old username??? we can merge the accts
to be honest I’m not sure, I believe it was my name but I will send you a PM haven’t been active on here in 5-6 years? Possibly a bit longer
Old 07-14-2021, 06:24 PM
TheCure17
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by 4SUMERZ
Welcome back to the forum. Hopefully you can find something in your price range. I personally wouldn't be stuck on the mileage as long as it was well kept. If you raise that mileage up another 10-15k miles, your C6 can be found within your price range.
I have owned my C6 for 11 years, and it now has 112,000 miles of smiles on the clock. We have used this as our road trip car since 2010. It has been a great vehicle, with little to no issues over those miles. Except for Tires, TPMS sensors, sway bar end links, Shocks, fluid changes as required, the only thing that I had go bad was the water pump at 30k miles. The engine still sounds great, regular oil changes, etc.
If you plan on keeping it, then miles should be a non issue, unless you plan on parking it in the garage, and only taking it to car shows, or Sunday drives,. There is nothing wrong with that, if that is what you are buying it for.
There is a popular misconception that miles on a Corvette is a bad thing. I almost bought into that, but I found out early that I liked driving it more than I liked sitting behind it at car shows.

Good Luck with your search
I’m not in any sort of rush to get into a used car albeit a corvette so I don’t mind waiting. At that point I might even be able to afford the C7 although might be a stretch. I remember plenty of long trips with my dad in his C5 and fixing that up for him (blend doors, new AC system, shocks, regular maintenance items, auto shift linkage due to him breaking the bushing and then him not listening to me about the bushing pack at the parts store) the bug really bit me. Now that I’m financially able to treat myself a little bit I have all the time in the world to wait for the right deal.
Old 07-14-2021, 07:09 PM
killain
Race Director

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 516 Likes on 314 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23
Oldtimer

Oddly, just tonight on the news, it was about the cost of all used cars being so high, that some people who bought a new car last year, are not turning around and selling the new car, for more than they paid for it. But just like real estate, you can now sell high, but where are you going to live for less ? Everything right now is super high cost-wise, and I don't think we're going to see prices start to decline anytime soon !
The following users liked this post:
leebay (07-15-2021)
Old 07-15-2021, 02:16 PM
schizcat
Drifting

Received 144 Likes on 123 Posts

Originally Posted by killain
Oddly, just tonight on the news, it was about the cost of all used cars being so high, that some people who bought a new car last year, are not turning around and selling the new car, for more than they paid for it. But just like real estate, you can now sell high, but where are you going to live for less ? Everything right now is super high cost-wise, and I don't think we're going to see prices start to decline anytime soon !
Depends on what you are buying. Most cars are selling at MSRP with little discounts (only military, USAA, etc.). Some dealers are marking them up significantly, others like Hendricks refuse to mark up new cars. MSRP on a car that has been on the lot for 8-10 months hasn't changed. Used cars are a different story. Everyone is marking them up left and right. The conundrum is do you sell what you have now for a potential "profit" and buy at MSRP or wait another 1-1.5 years and sell your car for a lower price just to get better discounts on a new car. If you have multiple cars, the decision can be easier to make.
Old 07-15-2021, 02:38 PM
saplumr
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,251 Likes on 895 Posts

Originally Posted by killain
And that’s where the catch is. My daughter (18 Yukon Denali) and me (20 Sierra Denali HD diesel) we’re both offered absolutely crazy money to buy back from us. We both could clear a lot of cash but that would do us no good because there’s nothing available to to replace them with.
Old 07-15-2021, 03:16 PM
BluegrassMotorsport
Melting Slicks

Received 883 Likes on 478 Posts

Used car prices are already leveling off and starting to drop in many markets. The C6 will drop as well, but it's unlikely they will drop to pre-Covid prices. The C8 is such a different car that late model front engine Corvettes are going to hold decent value for years to come, especially manual cars.

If you're even halfway considering a GS or other wide body C6, I'd recommend biting the bullet and getting what you really want. It will cost you more money in the long run if you don't buy what you want the first time because you'll probably end up trading for it later.
FAUEE (07-16-2021)
Old 07-15-2021, 10:40 PM
cerino2000
Le Mans Master

Received 134 Likes on 89 Posts

Originally Posted by BluegrassMotorsport
Used car prices are already leveling off and starting to drop in many markets. The C6 will drop as well, but it's unlikely they will drop to pre-Covid prices. The C8 is such a different car that late model front engine Corvettes are going to hold decent value for years to come, especially manual cars.

If you're even halfway considering a GS or other wide body C6, I'd recommend biting the bullet and getting what you really want. It will cost you more money in the long run if you don't buy what you want the first time because you'll probably end up trading for it later.
was going to say the same thing. I look at the market constantly. Believe it or not we are over the hump. Seeing prices drop. Slow but sure. I think the guys with the high priced C7’s will start dropping soonest just because so many people are jumping on the bandwagon trying to make a buck the supply is growing pretty quick. Just wait it out a little bit. The biggest thing to kill demand is the end of summer weather.
Old 07-16-2021, 10:31 AM
FAUEE
Race Director

I hate to disagree (actually I don't care lol), but that's not been what I've been seeing in my search for a new family vehicle (different markets, I know).

New cars are selling for minimum 10k over MSRP. It's not uncommon to see new Yukon Denali’s and highnspec Tahoe listed for 30k over MSRP. Used stuff is often selling for 10s of thousands over MSRP if it's a year or two old. Stuff that's more used than that I've been looking at for me, prices are still climbing. Srt Jeeps and Durango, AMG GLs and MLs, they still keep climbing. Porsche 911s are climbing too. I will say the rate of climb has slowed, but they're still climbing pretty steadily. Prices for these things are up 15k since the beginning of the year.
Geoff13IOM6GS (07-16-2021)
Old 07-16-2021, 11:31 AM
BluegrassMotorsport
Melting Slicks

Received 883 Likes on 478 Posts

Originally Posted by FAUEE
I hate to disagree (actually I don't care lol), but that's not been what I've been seeing in my search for a new family vehicle (different markets, I know).

New cars are selling for minimum 10k over MSRP. It's not uncommon to see new Yukon Denali’s and highnspec Tahoe listed for 30k over MSRP. Used stuff is often selling for 10s of thousands over MSRP if it's a year or two old. Stuff that's more used than that I've been looking at for me, prices are still climbing.
Where are you looking? I'm helping my mom look for a new Tahoe/Suburban right now and most dealers in KY, for example, are selling them at MSRP with the exception of one location I have found. The highest markup that single location has is 4k. Used prices for 2021 models were higher than MSRP but have leveled off and are now about even. Used truck prices at some dealers are finally dipping below MSRP. Auction prices at Manheim and Adesa are dropping. Try expanding your search?
Old 07-16-2021, 11:38 AM
FAUEE
Race Director

Originally Posted by BluegrassMotorsport
Where are you looking? I'm helping my mom look for a new Tahoe/Suburban right now and most dealers in KY, for example, are selling them at MSRP with the exception of one location I have found. The highest markup that single location has is 4k. Used prices for 2021 models were higher than MSRP but have leveled off and are now about even. Used truck prices at some dealers are finally dipping below MSRP. Auction prices at Manheim and Adesa are dropping. Try expanding your search?
I can't even FIND any of them. I want a diesel one, black, with either the RST or Premier trim. They just don't exist, and the vast majority that show on cars.com they don't even have. There's like, 15 in the country that meet the basics, and only 3 of them are actually real trucks with real photos.. Let alone if they actually have the options we want (all the options basically).

Of those, the 3 are all RST models, which means it's highly unlikely they have adaptive cruise, which frankly needs to be present on a 60k truck. We have basically decided to wait until the 21s and 22s flood the lots at the end of the year and pay 20% off MSRP.

Our local dealer gets like 4 or 5 tahoes every few months in and let's people bid against each other for who gets it.

Get notified of new replies

To Prices pre COVID

Old 07-16-2021, 12:04 PM
saplumr
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,251 Likes on 895 Posts

Originally Posted by FAUEE
I can't even FIND any of them. I want a diesel one, black, with either the RST or Premier trim. They just don't exist, and the vast majority that show on cars.com they don't even have. There's like, 15 in the country that meet the basics, and only 3 of them are actually real trucks with real photos.. Let alone if they actually have the options we want (all the options basically).

Of those, the 3 are all RST models, which means it's highly unlikely they have adaptive cruise, which frankly needs to be present on a 60k truck. We have basically decided to wait until the 21s and 22s flood the lots at the end of the year and pay 20% off MSRP.

Our local dealer gets like 4 or 5 tahoes every few months in and let's people bid against each other for who gets it.
I’ll never understand why GM doesn’t offer adaptive cruise on the most expensive HD trucks you can buy. My Denali diesel has every option available but of course no adaptive cruise or lane assist.
Old 07-16-2021, 12:47 PM
FAUEE
Race Director

Originally Posted by saplumr
I’ll never understand why GM doesn’t offer adaptive cruise on the most expensive HD trucks you can buy. My Denali diesel has every option available but of course no adaptive cruise or lane assist.
I dunno, but it's standard on an 18k Corolla.

I would be OK with it if it was at least oferedt on the RST, or the RST appearance was available on the premier. To get adaptive cruise you have to either get the old man chromed ou premier, or the old redneck chromed out high country. I'm not above having to black out the vehicle, but it's annoying to have to do that. Meanwhile, kia offers a blackout package on the top Telluride for 50k all in. GM wants 72k for a premier I have to black out myself. I get the Tahoe tows more and has the diesel I want and ostensibly will last longer... GM could have just made the ACC standard on LT+ models and been actually competitive. All the other safety stuff is offered, just not ACC.

Last edited by FAUEE; 07-16-2021 at 12:47 PM.
Old 07-16-2021, 09:24 PM
SSTEVEGS
Melting Slicks

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

My 2021 Silverado has the ACC and I don't like it at all. I also dislike continually fighting the adaptive lane control garbage. I disconnect both.
Would like to sell it to anyone that wants it - haha. FYI it's available with the "safety package". My truck came with it but I bought it anyway because
it had everything I wanted (including technology package which I LOVE) It also has NO sunroof which was really difficult to find in a loaded vehicle.

Good luck to the original poster in finding that elusive C6 you're looking for. I have a base '08 convertible that I picked up at the Corvette Museum
when it was new. Z-51 M6 with 72,000 miles now that has been perfect except for a 30 dollar sensor that went bad a few years ago. I've done all
the maintenance personally, including differential oil change, transmission fluid changes, oil changes, brake fluid change, etc. Easy to do, except for
coolant changes which seem to take forever...

Quick Reply: Prices pre COVID