C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New to Corvette's/ muffler question

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2021, 06:19 PM
Jcguthrie
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New to Corvette's/ muffler question

I recently purchased my wife a 05 convertible, we both agree that the factory exhaust is pretty lame. We don't want to spend $1000's of dollars on a exhaust system, we just what it to sound like a sports car. Are there any mufflers that we can just swap out?
Old 07-08-2021, 07:05 PM
Vettereturned
Pro

Received 36 Likes on 28 Posts

I had the same situation - I bought a pair of stock GM NPP mufflers from a salvage yard that were on EBay for our 2012 Grand Sport. The mufflers were sold by Olmstedautomotive $520 plus $150 Shipping, for me it was an excellent experience doing business with them, and being factory GM the were a perfect fit.
Old 07-08-2021, 07:37 PM
sramzzz
Drifting

Received 974 Likes on 626 Posts

Axel back systems are going to run you 1200 to 1600. Corsa sport or Borla S Type II are good ones. I have a vert and went with the Borla. I suggest you join a local corvette club and listen to different exhausts. Another option is to listen to exhaust sounds on manufacturer sites or you tube.
Old 07-08-2021, 07:40 PM
budders894
Instructor

Received 47 Likes on 22 Posts

Gut the cats install dump valves, zero to hero setup that i like.
Old 07-08-2021, 09:30 PM
Kenny94945
Le Mans Master

Received 446 Likes on 383 Posts

Do a search on this site for muffler mod.

Basically one cuts a hole into the exhaust muffler case and then drill a larger hole into the piping inside the muffler case.
Some even remove the "fiberglass" sound deadening.
Then weld the access hole close that you opened.
Can be done without removing the mufflers from the car.

If you do this, try to save and then post a before and after sound clip, or at the very least tell us if this mod satisfied your need for tone.

Good luck.
Old 07-08-2021, 10:09 PM
buckmeister2
Le Mans Master

Received 1,206 Likes on 824 Posts

Originally Posted by Kenny94945
Do a search on this site for muffler mod.

Basically one cuts a hole into the exhaust muffler case and then drill a larger hole into the piping inside the muffler case.
Some even remove the "fiberglass" sound deadening.
Then weld the access hole close that you opened.
Can be done without removing the mufflers from the car.

If you do this, try to save and then post a before and after sound clip, or at the very least tell us if this mod satisfied your need for tone.

Good luck.
Add one thing...you really don't have to weld. If you drill the hole in a flat spot, and make it 1" or 1.25", you can easily find press fit caps that just push into place, and stay in place until you want to remove them.
Old 07-09-2021, 08:36 AM
Orion2011
Burning Brakes

Received 174 Likes on 130 Posts

Originally Posted by Jcguthrie
I recently purchased my wife a 05 convertible, we both agree that the factory exhaust is pretty lame. We don't want to spend $1000's of dollars on a exhaust system, we just what it to sound like a sports car. Are there any mufflers that we can just swap out?
Most C6 exhausts are Axle back. Which is basically mufflers and a little pipe. Typically cost around $1,500.00 but worth it IMHO. I suggest Corsa Sports.

Most cars $1,500 would get a full cat back system, but not Vettes...
Old 07-09-2021, 08:47 AM
corvette_maniac
Racer

Received 47 Likes on 30 Posts

Here is a short clip of my C6 idling -that I purchased last week. Apparently it has no mufflers at all.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/18Xs...ew?usp=sharing
Old 07-09-2021, 09:18 AM
C6ToGo
Safety Car

Received 1,120 Likes on 694 Posts

I am good with the stock mod.

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...ffler-mod.html
Old 07-09-2021, 09:35 AM
RetroGuy
Drifting

Received 508 Likes on 312 Posts
Default Options

Originally Posted by Jcguthrie
We don't want to spend $1000's of dollars on an exhaust system, we just what it to sound like a sports car. Are there any mufflers that we can just swap out?
Another option is to only replace the mufflers. You could go to a custom muffler/exhaust shop and ask them all your questions. Be sure to tell them you want a bit more aggressive sound without the dreaded "drone."
Old 07-09-2021, 09:39 AM
TXSTICK
Melting Slicks

Received 46 Likes on 41 Posts

Your can buy either 2 1/2" or 3" mufflers off of a car with NPP or Dual Tone (they have the vacuum activated valves). Your car is 2 1/2" and the smaller size might bolt right up. I bought 3" that came off of a Z06 and had a muffler shop cut the input pipes from the Z06 mufflers and cut the input pipes off of the stock mufflers. They transferred the stock 2 1/2 pipes over to the Z06 mufflers. Worked like a champ. Cost me $90.00 for the work. I just left the valves on the mufflers open all of the time, but if you want there are some venders that make a vacuum unit (NPP in a box) you can hook up and switch back and forth between quiet and wild with the push of a remote. Nice to have when you want quiet and no drone for trips. If the 2 1/2 pipes wont work on the mufflers you buy, have the muffler shop move the ones over from the stock 2 1/2 you have now.

Not my photo, this came off the forum.
You can see the valve and the vaccum unit in this picture.

Valves should be installed in the center (inside). Non valve pipes on the outside.

chuck

Last edited by TXSTICK; 07-09-2021 at 09:52 AM.
Old 07-09-2021, 02:09 PM
Sayfoo
Melting Slicks

Received 456 Likes on 355 Posts

Originally Posted by buckmeister2
Add one thing...you really don't have to weld. If you drill the hole in a flat spot, and make it 1" or 1.25", you can easily find press fit caps that just push into place, and stay in place until you want to remove them.
Correct.
Start with a smallish hole inside. You can always go bigger.

"Another option is to only replace the mufflers. You could go to a custom muffler/exhaust shop and ask them all your questions. Be sure to tell them you want a bit more aggressive sound without the dreaded "drone."
As RetroGuy said /\. Should only cost a few hundred $.

Last edited by Sayfoo; 07-09-2021 at 02:14 PM.
Old 07-09-2021, 02:56 PM
saplumr
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,251 Likes on 895 Posts

The npp is not for everyone. Tips are entirely to small and the valve clutter is a little to much. I’d save money and buy a nice system with 4 or 4-1/2” quad tips.
Old 07-10-2021, 08:48 PM
TiltVert
Instructor

Received 103 Likes on 55 Posts

Here is my story. I bought a 2007 C6 last fall. The previous owner had a set of z06 mufflers with the cut out valves. The car sounded ok under power \ high rpm but I just didn't care for how quiet it was as a whole. In the meantime I bought long tube headers high flow cats and x-pipe. 3 inch exhaust all the way back.
I still thought the car was too quiet. I then did the z06 mod on the mufflers and welded them back up.
That was an improvement but they now sounded a little tinny.
The next weekend went to the muffler shop had them make straight pipes back from the x-pipe and put some nice polished tips on.
Sounds awesome, pops a bit much but gonna leave it that way for now. I can always put the z06 stuff back on later.
Old 07-11-2021, 12:32 PM
corvette_maniac
Racer

Received 47 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by TiltVert
Here is my story. I bought a 2007 C6 last fall. The previous owner had a set of z06 mufflers with the cut out valves. The car sounded ok under power \ high rpm but I just didn't care for how quiet it was as a whole. In the meantime I bought long tube headers high flow cats and x-pipe. 3 inch exhaust all the way back.
I still thought the car was too quiet. I then did the z06 mod on the mufflers and welded them back up.
That was an improvement but they now sounded a little tinny.
The next weekend went to the muffler shop had them make straight pipes back from the x-pipe and put some nice polished tips on.
Sounds awesome, pops a bit much but gonna leave it that way for now. I can always put the z06 stuff back on later.
I too have welded straight pipes to the tips. One suggestion to help with the popping on deceleration, if you have an M6 is to coast to a stop or slow down in neutral. If it's an auto, I guess you're stuck with it. I hear the popping most when I decelerate in 2nd or 3rd gear. My neighbors probably appreciate it when I slow and stop in neutral.

Get notified of new replies

To New to Corvette's/ muffler question

Quick Reply: New to Corvette's/ muffler question