C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lowering on stock bolts

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2021, 11:42 AM
RedThunder
Instructor

Received 28 Likes on 9 Posts

Default Lowering on stock bolts

Question for those who have lowered their cars on stock bolts.....I'd like to get the bottom of my rear wheel well down. Left side measures 1 7/8 inch to top of tire. Right side is a little higher measuring 2 1/8 inch.

I don't want to lower more than 1/2 inch or so (to leave a little above the top of tire to insert cleaning tools). Of course, I'd like the lowered stance to match side to side and realize I need to measure final results by distance to the bottom edge of the car.

However, anyone have a guess as to how many turns on the bolts to accomplish this approximate 1/2" difference? I'm borrowing rack space so I want to avoid as many (measuring) ups and downs as I can to speed the process along. Thanks for any guesses or advice.

Oh yeah, if I lower 1/2 inch in back, how likely is it that I will need to lower the front (driveway/splitter probs)? Thanks.

Last edited by RedThunder; 07-02-2021 at 11:47 AM. Reason: additional question
Old 07-02-2021, 08:58 PM
shaimerej
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

I’d run 3-4 turns to get the 1/2” you are looking for. Once the car has been lifted off the ground to do the work, it will sit higher than normal when you set it down. Moving the car or setting down on something slippery will allow the wheels to spread to set the car at height.
Old 07-02-2021, 09:51 PM
4SUMERZ
Race Car Tech
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,320 Likes on 1,664 Posts

I have the Z51 suspension, and I turned my lowering bolts almost all the way, and it did not lower it much more than 1/2" all around.
Old 07-02-2021, 09:53 PM
hubes
Burning Brakes

Received 79 Likes on 60 Posts

Also how much gas is in the car will effect the ride height, especially in the rear. The right tank empties first, so If you measured with half a tank, they might be the same with a full tank or empty
Old 07-02-2021, 11:12 PM
Long_AV8R
Racer

Received 91 Likes on 61 Posts

I lowered mine in the garage using a bottle jack under the end of the spring. I didn't even have to remove the wheels. If on stock lowering screws you will have to go almost all the way down for 1/2'. I had to cut some of the rubber bumper off to get it lower. If you lower the rear, lower the front too - also can be done with a bottle jack and the wheels on. All told, maybe 30 - 45 min of work my way.
Old 07-03-2021, 08:16 AM
dr_gallup
Melting Slicks

Received 904 Likes on 588 Posts

My car was lowered when I bought it, the front was down about 2", rear was down over 1". I was able got get it back to stock ride height so it sounds like YMMV. You need to drive it around after each adjustment and recheck. Could take several attempts to get it right. Then you need to check the alignment.
Old 07-03-2021, 08:51 AM
cmonkey713
Race Director

Received 1,257 Likes on 919 Posts

Back off the bolts all the way and see where that gets you. Remember to drive the car around the block or so to settle the suspension down for an accurate reading. Depending on the result you may need to cut a couple of rings off the bolt cushion to get it down. There are also aftermarket bolts that will do the same thing. I have done several cars and they will all react slightly different in the end result. This is basically a trial and error process until you are satisfied with the ride height.
Old 07-03-2021, 11:54 AM
hubes
Burning Brakes

I've been playing with my ride height quite a bit lately trying to get it where I want, which is only a little bit lower than stock, but I started with things a little screwed up, and I've been measuring after every drive, so I think I have some info that might be useful. I started by lowering every adjuster all the way and then back up 3 turns. This resulted in the rear being right about where I wanted it (approx 1/4"-3/8" lower than stock) and the front being a lot lower than the rear. I ended up turning the fronts up an additional 5-6 turns. This concurs with what people are saying about having to cut some of the rubber off the rears to get it even at lower heights. It will not fully settle with a drive around the block. It will be close enough to let you know if you're way off, but it will continue to settle for probably 100 miles or so. I've only been making adjustments after 1 drive if it was already too low. Also, it's been my experience you can't get it perfect, and like I said earlier, fuel level makes a difference. Also I found this chart very helpful. I've been using the height to top of wheel well (R&P)

Old 07-03-2021, 12:55 PM
RedThunder
Instructor

Received 28 Likes on 9 Posts

Thanks to all who provided an answer.....all were most helpful. I also OD'd on youTube videos and in most cases, it looked like turning them all the way down was necessary to gain the 1//2" drop I'm looking for. Even so, watching some of the vids, I couldn't tell anything had been done.

Think that's what I'll try (all the way on the stock bolts) and eventually post results here. I know I don't want to cut the bolt cushions and. It may even be that a 1/2" drop is too aggressive. It just looks like it'd be right using measurements.
Old 07-03-2021, 02:34 PM
hubes
Burning Brakes

I'd recommend lowering the rears all the way and bringing the fronts up about 5 turns from bottom and starting from there

Get notified of new replies

To Lowering on stock bolts

Quick Reply: Lowering on stock bolts