C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Security control module

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2021, 04:49 PM
drivemewilder
Racer

Received 69 Likes on 38 Posts

Default Security control module

I've seen Body control module discussed, but not Security control modules. Anyone know anything about this? The dealership called today to tell me that they were getting ready to load/ship my 2010 to me when they experienced some electrical problems with the door not unlocking or opening. He said that the mechanic order a Security control module after doing some research and felt like that was the issue. Car has 20,000 miles and has mostly been sitting idle the last few weeks, although they sent me a video of it running perfectly fine last week. They installed a new battery also.
Old 06-30-2021, 05:04 PM
Corvette_Ed
Race Director

Received 2,846 Likes on 1,802 Posts

They may be referring to the Door Control Module, of which there is one in each door. The only SCM I know of is the Seat Control Module. Never heard of a Security Control Module.
The following users liked this post:
drivemewilder (06-30-2021)
Old 06-30-2021, 05:19 PM
FatsWaller
Safety Car

Received 1,797 Likes on 1,152 Posts

There is a Theft Deterrent System. Maybe that's what the dealership is referring to.
Old 07-01-2021, 08:18 AM
drivemewilder
Racer

I was told that they would send me a picture of the part that they ordered when it arrives so i could research it myself. I'll post that once it happens
Old 07-05-2021, 07:15 PM
drivemewilder
Racer

Originally Posted by FatsWaller
There is a Theft Deterrent System. Maybe that's what the dealership is referring to.
The ordered module still hasn’t arrived. Spoke to the dealer and he says he believes it’s something to do with theft as the car seems to default into a theft prevention. Not always, but the doors won’t unlock especially after sitting for a day without running. Any ideas?
Old 07-05-2021, 08:02 PM
wjnjr
Melting Slicks

Received 921 Likes on 578 Posts
2023 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2022 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

The C6 has lots of modules, but there is no such thing as a "Security Control Module".

Maybe he meant Remote Control Door Lock Receiver, aka RCDLR, which is a major component in both the Immobilizer System and the Content Theft Deterrent System, and as we know causes lots of drama when it acts up.

Ask if they ordered a RCDLR next time you talk to your contact at the dealer. If they answer "what's a RCDLR?", take the car somewhere else.

Old 07-06-2021, 08:59 AM
drivemewilder
Racer

The dealer admits that he's not a mechanic and doesn't know too much about these things, and has never run into this situation before. He will send me a picture of the module when it's delivered so that i can research it myself. He is not sure which module needs to be replaced. He said that the car ran perfectly (20,000 miles) until it sat idle for a few days and then the door lock problem started along with the car not starting. They put in a new battery but the problem persists. They researched it and ordered the module that best fit the issues that the car was having.
Old 07-06-2021, 11:46 AM
wjnjr
Melting Slicks

"This car runs perfectly! Trust me!!"

The following users liked this post:
Fed Up (07-06-2021)
Old 07-06-2021, 12:53 PM
FatsWaller
Safety Car

Received 1,797 Likes on 1,152 Posts

I don't want to derail this discussion, so just read the following for amusement if nothing else. Seems to me that the electronics of the RKE system are somewhat fragile in terms of external interference. Cadillacs had a pretty much identical RKE system (in fact, the fobs are reported to be compatible), and I had a 2008 Caddy STS-4. Went to start it one morning as usual and all I could get was a click somewhere behind the dash. Figuring it was a weak battery, I called CAA (AAA), and they tried to jump start it, but no change, so they flatbedded it to the dealer close by. Their diagnostic was that the key fob was bad, and that it had triggered the security system. So they programmed a new fob, reprogrammed fob #2, reset the security system, and all was good until the next morning when I tried to start it, and got the same result using either fob. Figuring that it was going to be flatbedded back to the dealer again, I removed a plastic carrier from the trunk which had a bunch of car cleaning products because I was going to detail the other car while the Caddy at the dealership. CAA showed up, and the driver suggested that I try to start it before they did anything. Of course it started right up, I apologized for wasting his time, and thought about just driving it back down to the dealership for them to check their work. Then I thought about the plastic carrier I had taken out, and looked in there, and while I don't remember putting it in the box, there was a paper clip holder with a strong magnet in there. I put the box back in the trunk without the magnet, and never had any starting problems with the Caddy from that point on. Coincidence? No way to know, because I wasn't about to put the magnet back in the trunk to find out. Maybe the magnet was interfering with the coms bus in some way. Maybe not.
Old 07-06-2021, 01:52 PM
drivemewilder
Racer

The dealership was ready to ship the car to me when the car wouldn't start. They replaced the battery, nothing. They researched it and ordered a module that they are waiting on. They have offered to install the module and wait to see if that fixes the problem, or send the module with the car to me and let me install it. The benefit of option 2 is getting the car sooner instead of them keeping the car for several days to see if the problem arises again. I chose to let them install and test the car for another day or 2, i'm in no rush to get a car that might leave me stranded. They also offered to refund every penny if i receive the car and the problem persists. It sounds like these problems are not unusual, i just want to know which fixes i should have at my disposal in case i need to order a different module in the future.
Old 07-06-2021, 02:46 PM
wjnjr
Melting Slicks

The first thing you, or anyone, should know before ordering parts is what exactly is wrong with the car. So far no one seems to know and "they" are just guessing.

You might consider telling the dealer you don't want it as is, and to call you when it's fixed and you'll buy it then. Don't worry about losing the deal, they can't sell it to someone else if it doesn't run. And if it ends up as one of those "it will never start again" situations, you dam sure don't want it.

Just $0.02 unsolicited advice. Good luck, hope it works out.

Last edited by wjnjr; 07-06-2021 at 02:57 PM.
Old 07-06-2021, 02:51 PM
drivemewilder
Racer

Originally Posted by wjnjr
The first thing you, or anyone, should know before ordering parts is what exactly is wrong with the car. So far no one seems to know and "they" are just guessing.
"They" told me that they researched the problem online and the service technician believes the module that they ordered is likely the fix. The car is in another state 1000 miles away so i can only go off what i'm told. I'm grateful that they did not ship the car to me and claim that it was working fine. The dealer is stumped and agitated that the problem has presented itself, especially as he was about to load it onto the transport truck.
Old 07-06-2021, 03:21 PM
dar322
Burning Brakes

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13

Are you buying this car or are they servicing your car for you? If your buying...maybe contact previous owner. Flooded cars seem to get shipped from one coast to the other trying to hide its history. So BEWARE, otherwise if I have this wrong...nervermind.
Old 07-06-2021, 03:30 PM
drivemewilder
Racer

Buying. They did contact the previous owner who said that the car did the same thing to him years ago when he installed a new battery. Dealership has sent me multiple pictures and a video of the car running so that i could hear it. All of a sudden the thing won't start and he said something about doors not unlocking. They installed a new battery and everything worked fine until it was time to ship, then it happened again. They ordered a module after looking into it but the car has been running fine while it sits in the warehouse waiting on the module. Then yesterday it stopped running again.
Old 07-06-2021, 03:42 PM
drivemewilder
Racer

Here is what the dealer just texted me: "No messages on the dash, no check engine lights or anything. On occasion when you lock it and then unlock it to start it powers up but does not actually start. If you never lock it, it always starts. It just when you actually lock it and then unlock it triggers something to not start.
Old 07-06-2021, 03:59 PM
wjnjr
Melting Slicks

Is this a Chevrolet dealer?
Old 07-06-2021, 05:04 PM
drivemewilder
Racer

No, just a used car dealer

Get notified of new replies

To Security control module

Old 07-06-2021, 05:35 PM
dar322
Burning Brakes

St. Jude Donor '12-'13

Maybe provide locations and pay someone to go see it in person. BEWARE. You dont want a horror story in your garage, do you?
Old 07-06-2021, 05:42 PM
drivemewilder
Racer

Originally Posted by dar322
Maybe provide locations and pay someone to go see it in person. BEWARE. You dont want a horror story in your garage, do you?
Of course not, but i've read plenty of stories the last few days of people experiencing similar problems. I know my '05 had a lock column problem that i fixed in 15 minutes many years ago. If the dealership can install a module that resolves the issue, i'll be a happy man! As for the location....Baton Rouge
Old 07-06-2021, 05:55 PM
dar322
Burning Brakes

St. Jude Donor '12-'13

i think Hurricane Laura hit Baton Rouge last year? if it had any flood damage, previous owner would prolly never say so. ask him that...

Quick Reply: Security control module