C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The One That Got Away

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2021, 01:50 PM
Corvette_Ed
Race Director

Received 2,846 Likes on 1,802 Posts

Default The One That Got Away

I'm curious to hear about others' experiences when they were let off with a warning when they'd clearly been caught red-handed speeding in their C6 at an excessive amount.

I only have one experience with ever being let off with a warning, and the cop caught me at 90+ in a 65 (but only for a few seconds). A delivery van was in the fast lane, and was pacing the traffic in the slower lanes of traffic so there was about 6 people all behind this guy who refused to move over for the faster traffic. A car in the right lane changed lanes, which opened up a space for me to jump over and get around the van so I downshifted, punched it, flipped the guy off for being a jerk, and passed the van. About a mile down the road a motorcycle cop pulled me over, but ended up letting me go with a warning. Best I can figure is he saw what was happening, how much of a jerk the van driver was being, and understood the frustration.

Anyone else have any good stories to share of getting pulled over in their C6?
Old 05-24-2021, 02:07 PM
Al.B
Racer

Received 52 Likes on 40 Posts

It's funny, I haven't been pulled over since driving the Vette. I've sped past a cop multiple times and very surprised he didn't come after me. I also like to power oversteer out of corners when no cars around and once spun out right in front of a cop. Again he didn't come after me. I think cops and most guys like Vettes and maybe give us a break if not doing something too reckless.
Old 05-24-2021, 02:14 PM
Iceaxe
Safety Car

Received 2,610 Likes on 1,395 Posts

About a month ago I got pulled over in Lava Hot Springs Idaho doing 85 mph in a 65 on a twisty backroad. The sheriff and I met traveling different directions as we both crested a hill, I watched the sheriff flip on the lights before dropping out of sight on the backside of the hill. I just pulled over to save the sheriff the hassle of chasing me down as I knew I was guilty.

As the sheriff pulls up behind us the hot young stripper wife laughing asks me if I want her to handle this as she unzips her top to the bottom of her ribcage.

As the sheriff steps out of the patrol car I notice it's a young female officer, so I tell the hot young stripper she is going to be useless this time around and I'll have to handle it.

Anyhoo... the lady officer checked license, registration and insurance and walked back to my car and told me to slow down and drive carefully, I didn't even get a warning.

As we pulled away I told the hot young stripper wife I obviously still got IT. To which she had to hurt my feelings and tell me the officer probably felt sorry for me because I reminded her of her grandfather... ouch!

Hahaha....
The following users liked this post:
Al.B (05-24-2021)
Old 05-24-2021, 02:58 PM
Texan79423
Melting Slicks

Received 267 Likes on 138 Posts

I was like Ed I got caught up in a jam and when an opening appeared I grabbed forth and took it. Just as I was about to pass everyone I saw a highway petrol in front in the inside lane which was causing the jam in the first place. I hit the brakes and whipped in behind a truck. The guy behind me went full bore ***** to the wall around all of us. Needless to say the trooper lit him up. I waved as I passed.
Old 05-24-2021, 03:17 PM
jeffs64
Burning Brakes

Received 261 Likes on 190 Posts

Haven't ever been pulled over. but have been followed. Last ticket was over thirty years ago in a Toyota Corolla for speeding. Highway Patrol in this area runs a check on your plate first and they get a lot of info. Also check if there's a lien or stolen first. At the last drive along I went on that was the procedure.
Old 05-24-2021, 03:33 PM
dkpnkc
Burning Brakes

Received 317 Likes on 208 Posts

1983 - prior to me owning a Corvette I received a warning for 70 in a 25. True story.
The following users liked this post:
T0XiC417 (05-24-2021)
Old 05-24-2021, 03:39 PM
subfloor@centurytrans
Supporting Vendor

Received 777 Likes on 506 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (track prepared)
C6 of Year Winner (track prepared) 2019

Originally Posted by Corvette_Ed
I'm curious to hear about others' experiences when they were let off with a warning when they'd clearly been caught red-handed speeding in their C6 at an excessive amount.

I only have one experience with ever being let off with a warning, and the cop caught me at 90+ in a 65 (but only for a few seconds). A delivery van was in the fast lane, and was pacing the traffic in the slower lanes of traffic so there was about 6 people all behind this guy who refused to move over for the faster traffic. A car in the right lane changed lanes, which opened up a space for me to jump over and get around the van so I downshifted, punched it, flipped the guy off for being a jerk, and passed the van. About a mile down the road a motorcycle cop pulled me over, but ended up letting me go with a warning. Best I can figure is he saw what was happening, how much of a jerk the van driver was being, and understood the frustration.

Anyone else have any good stories to share of getting pulled over in their C6?
I have two actually.

Way back in late 2007 when I first put drag radials on my car I wanted to see how they felt on the street. After driving around local streets for a bit I decided to get on the freeway.

As the light turned green I took off slowly at first and then nailed it. Not sure I actually exceeded the speed limit at any point but it was fast enough to attract the attention of the cop who as it turns out had been directly behind me at the lights.

I immediately pulled over and figure I was pretty much screwed. Nope, as he walked up to the car the first thing he said to me was "Man, that sounded awesome!" followed by "but maybe the next time you do something like that you might wanna make sure one of us isn't sitting right behind you".

He let me off with a warning.

Years later I was doing some street tuning which didn't involve any sort of excessive speed. I got pulled over after about 20 minutes only to have the officer tell me how much he loved the sound of the cam in my car. Turns out he had a C5 he wanted some work done to which I ended up doing and we became good friends afterwards as a result.
Old 05-24-2021, 05:02 PM
javaman
Drifting

Received 555 Likes on 375 Posts
2023 C6 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2022 C6 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2021 C6 of the Year Finalist - Modified

I do 55 in the left lane and get lots of “you’re number 1” signs from other drivers when they raise their left arms in salute. That middle finger does mean I’m number 1, doesn’t it?
So nice to see I’m appreciated!
The following 2 users liked this post by javaman:
dkpnkc (05-24-2021), T0XiC417 (05-24-2021)
Old 05-24-2021, 05:03 PM
Bakerking31
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Had an off duty cop driving his turbo Viper leading our car group. I hit 160mph and was falling back.

Worst I actually got pulled over for was not in my vette. I did a burnout through an intersection because I was young and stupid. Cop lectured me for about a half hour and let me go with a warning.

Get notified of new replies

To The One That Got Away

Quick Reply: The One That Got Away