C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My Transmission Dilemma

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2021, 02:20 PM
boilerdawg
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

First and foremost I have been up to this point been polite and patient with this guy. Like some have pointed out I want a good repair job, im not stupid i completely understand what could happen and where I am. For some who have speculated that I have been anything but nice to this guy and make assumptions that i have posted bad reviews are completely ignorant. To suggest that he thinks he wouldnt get paid is even more ludicrous. Now after 4 months of my car collecting dust on his rack I am fed the hell up. I would gladly take it some where else if i could get it there. This past Friday the 19th he again said itd be ready friday the 26th. Let see. My conversation went like this " hey this is matt with the vette hows it coming? he laughs says he has cars stuck in his parking lot from the snow. i say well my car has been stuck on your rack for 4 months what does that have to do with fixing my car? You told me it would be ready a week ago. Now he gets testy tells me He'd have it ready one way or another by next friday. I say thats great Im holding you to it. He then hangs up on me. Feed him a steak my ***.
The following users liked this post:
nplenzick (02-23-2021)
Old 02-23-2021, 10:47 PM
nplenzick
Pro

Received 50 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by boilerdawg
First and foremost I have been up to this point been polite and patient with this guy. Like some have pointed out I want a good repair job, im not stupid i completely understand what could happen and where I am. For some who have speculated that I have been anything but nice to this guy and make assumptions that i have posted bad reviews are completely ignorant. To suggest that he thinks he wouldnt get paid is even more ludicrous. Now after 4 months of my car collecting dust on his rack I am fed the hell up. I would gladly take it some where else if i could get it there. This past Friday the 19th he again said itd be ready friday the 26th. Let see. My conversation went like this " hey this is matt with the vette hows it coming? he laughs says he has cars stuck in his parking lot from the snow. i say well my car has been stuck on your rack for 4 months what does that have to do with fixing my car? You told me it would be ready a week ago. Now he gets testy tells me He'd have it ready one way or another by next friday. I say thats great Im holding you to it. He then hangs up on me. Feed him a steak my ***.
Let us know how it turns out. It's amazing to me how people don't understand that four months isn't ridiculous and how your suppose to kiss this guys *** just for him to do what he's getting paid to do in a timely matter. I guess some people never ran their own business or if they did it wasn't for long.
Old 02-23-2021, 11:34 PM
jimijam
Melting Slicks

Received 936 Likes on 582 Posts

Originally Posted by nplenzick
Let us know how it turns out. It's amazing to me how people don't understand that four months isn't ridiculous and how your suppose to kiss this guys *** just for him to do what he's getting paid to do in a timely matter. I guess some people never ran their own business or if they did it wasn't for long.
Show us the yelp and google reviews for your business.
Old 02-23-2021, 11:43 PM
jimijam
Melting Slicks

Default "Feed him a steak my ***"

polite and patient....Let see. My conversation went like this " hey this is matt with the vette hows it coming? he laughs says he has cars stuck in his parking lot from the snow. i say well my car has been stuck on your rack for 4 months what does that have to do with fixing my car? You told me it would be ready a week ago. Now he gets testy tells me He'd have it ready one way or another by next friday. I say thats great Im holding you to it. He then hangs up on me.
Yeah, your way is failing and will continue to fail; but let it all flow here on the forum so you don't do anythign stupid with the guy that has your car. If that is how the conversation went, your communication skills need polishing. Why don't you go down there and talk to the man face-to-face? I'm sure he won't beat your *** in broad daylight. But defininately keep us posted on how this Charlie Foxtrot proceeds and ends up.

:subcribing
FAUEE (02-24-2021)
Old 02-24-2021, 03:40 AM
Don-Vette
Race Director

Received 451 Likes on 349 Posts

Not much you can do at this point, until the car is back together. Lesson learned!! When it comes to Transmissions, you go to a certified transmission shop, not some guy's house in the backwoods of Tennessee.
Old 02-24-2021, 06:59 AM
Kingtal0n
Melting Slicks

Received 724 Likes on 498 Posts

work on your own car.

crap happens everywhere, from dealers to small shops

If you do it yourself nobody to blame but yourself, is that scary?
Old 02-24-2021, 07:16 AM
BadAV
Race Director

Received 2,690 Likes on 1,707 Posts

When you get totally fed up with the excuses, show up with the title, a truck and trailer during business hours. If he won't let you have it, call the police/sheriff for assistance, load the car and loose parts, and leave.
The following 2 users liked this post by BadAV:
Don-Vette (02-24-2021), jimijam (02-24-2021)
Old 02-24-2021, 08:55 AM
FAUEE
Race Director

Received 4,474 Likes on 2,814 Posts

im 6'2 230 i dont think you and him together could take me.
Stuff like this is why we don't believe you handled your conversations with him well.
jimijam (02-24-2021)
Old 02-24-2021, 11:54 AM
jimijam
Melting Slicks

im 6'2 230 i dont think you and him together could take me.
Your height and weight means nothing to me, really. Seems it doesn't mean anything to they guy that has your car either. I'm thinking you are over your head and may need to consider paying someone to communicate with this guy on your behalf so your attitude doesn't get you into deeper trouble. After all, the guy has your car and sugar falling into the gas tank is probably something you don't want to deal with.
Old 02-24-2021, 07:22 PM
jimijam
Melting Slicks

maybe you could do it...seems you make friends everywhere you go
maybe, and i do. i learned long ago that being an ******* to someone i need or want something from just does not work.
Old 02-25-2021, 03:26 PM
jimijam
Melting Slicks

I'll get back to you soon. The sun is out and I am going to take the Vette out for a spin.
Old 02-25-2021, 04:15 PM
rbwinston
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 249 Likes on 178 Posts

First, have you paid him anything?? If not you might think about this....show up at the shop with a bunch of $100's in your pocket. Ask him what he thinks the total will be. Offer him about 1/3 of the estimate if he will absolutely gurantee to have it done by a mutually agreeable date at which time you'll give him the balance in cash as well. There's every possibility that he's taking other jobs ahead of you to generate cash flow and this might hit the right button with him. Of course there's always the possibility that he doesn't keep his word but I'm betting he will. Only other option is as suggested by BadAV, show up with the title and a flat bed and get it out of there. That's an expensive alternative but his excuses could go on forever. Good luck.
Old 02-25-2021, 04:41 PM
JR Jackson
Instructor

Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts

Take him part of the money.. ha ha ha, reminds me of this. OP, been there before in dealing with people in rural Tennessee. People just work at a different pace than what I’m familiar with... myself in your situation, I would do as suggested, show up on the 26th, title to car in hand. If it’s completed and correct, all good, pay the man and lesson learned. If it’s still on the rack, call a sheriff, call a wrecker, get your parts and car out of his shop and make your next move. JR

Last edited by JR Jackson; 02-25-2021 at 06:12 PM.
Old 02-26-2021, 09:57 AM
boilerdawg
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Update: well the transmission guy actually called me this morning. First time ever that he called me instead of me calling him. If you remember this was the day that my car was going to be repaired and ready to drive. guess what? its not repaired or ready to drive. I had already to reached out to a towing company about retrieving my car today one way or the other. but heres his story now; that he repaired and test drove the car on Wednesday. He states that he couldnt get the car into 5th gear. he told me he had to pull the transmission again (so according to his past stories this is the 3rd time) and that he got a bad synchronizer that he has to replace. He stated that the trans is out of the car, disassembled, and the part ordered. He said that the part was supposed to be delivered today. We had a decent conversation he apologized for the delay. I asked him when he thought he would have the car repaired. I said make it easy it yourself here. You tell me when it will be ready. So he tells me the new day for delivery is Wednesday March 3rd. I am going to give him until Wednesday to get this done. More to come ,Guess we'll see come Wednesday.
Old 02-26-2021, 10:11 AM
nplenzick
Pro

Received 50 Likes on 39 Posts

Update: well the transmission guy actually called me this morning. First time ever that he called me instead of me calling him. If you remember this was the day that my car was going to be repaired and ready to drive. guess what? its not repaired or ready to drive. I had already to reached out to a towing company about retrieving my car today one way or the other. but heres his story now; that he repaired and test drove the car on Wednesday. He states that he couldnt get the car into 5th gear. he told me he had to pull the transmission again (so according to his past stories this is the 3rd time) and that he got a bad synchronizer that he has to replace. He stated that the trans is out of the car, disassembled, and the part ordered. He said that the part was supposed to be delivered today. We had a decent conversation he apologized for the delay. I asked him when he thought he would have the car repaired. I said make it easy it yourself here. You tell me when it will be ready. So he tells me the new day for delivery is Wednesday March 3rd. I am going to give him until Wednesday to get this done. More to come ,Guess we'll see come Wednesday.
Apparently he's responding to the pressure your putting on him without buying steaks, beer, or a bj. It's also apparent he's in over his head or at the very, very least not experience in rebuilding this type of trans. Hopefully the fourth charm will work and this fiasco will be over for you.
Old 02-26-2021, 11:13 AM
DebRedZR1
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,624 Likes on 1,743 Posts
CF Banner Relay Captain
West MI & JAX/NE Florida
Events Coordinator
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17, '21

Quick Reply: My Transmission Dilemma