C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Weird Steering

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2021, 06:18 PM
Schazaam
Advanced

Received 31 Likes on 19 Posts
Default Weird Steering

Hey Guys. Got a 2009 Z51 a few weeks back. It has 57k miles on it. A1 condition. Love it so far. But on some roads it likes to steer me vice me steering it. Nothing violent, but I wonder if folks behind me think I'm drunk. It has a set of Goodyear Eagle F1's on the front that need replacing. Putting on Michelin A/S 3 runflats to match the rears. Gonna have them check the alignment too. I'm assuming this is not a normal characteristic of a C6? This is my first C6 after having two C7's. The C7's had a few issues to deal with, but not this.
Old 02-17-2021, 07:18 PM
farmington
Safety Car

Received 1,119 Likes on 798 Posts

The Goodyear’s were crap when new, old and hard ones are horrible. Search for Alignment specs
Old 02-17-2021, 10:33 PM
LVXLR8N
Advanced

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

Had this issue with different tire brands on the front and the back. Felt like the back end was lagging behind the front. Tire guy said it can happen especially if you mix performance tires with all seasons. The side walls may not be the same stiffness. Match your tires and it will all be good.
Old 02-17-2021, 10:35 PM
FatsWaller
Safety Car

Received 1,799 Likes on 1,152 Posts

Firstly, I've got Michelin A/S 3+ run flats on all 4 corners and it handles and rides just fine. I suggest you replace your front tires as you planned and get a precise alignment done according to the PFADT specs for the type of driving you do. Tell the alignment shop you want it exact and not just 'in the green'. Then see how it handles. Because the tires are so wide, the car tends to do a bit of 'tramlining' which is what you are probably experiencing, probably made worse by the existing alignment and worn rubber.
Attached Images
The following 3 users liked this post by FatsWaller:
gdmoore01 (02-18-2021), Icecap (03-06-2021), KevDude (02-17-2021)
Old 02-18-2021, 09:49 AM
Schazaam
Advanced

Thanks for the great info guys. Just ordered a set of wheels from Florida speed shop. So I'll get her all done when they come in.
Old 02-18-2021, 08:24 PM
gdmoore01
Burning Brakes

Received 554 Likes on 384 Posts

FatsWaller is right. I had the same experience with my new-to-me 2013 Grand Sport. Only 11k miles, but 4 years old at the time and the car would want to drive all over the road, some roads worse than others. I had already replaced the rears with Michelin Pilot Sports & replaced the fronts with the A/S3+. Had my alignment shop match the PFADT street specs exactly and now drives like a dream.

Enjoy your ride...GD
Old 03-06-2021, 07:15 PM
Schazaam
Advanced

Welp, finally put the new tires on to match the rears. And had the tire shop put the tires on new wheels that I got from Florida speed shop. Had to take the tires and wheels to them as the car wasn't registered at the time. Is now. So no alinement done yet. Anyways, the tramlining is totally gone though. But, got a moderate front end vibe/wobble when I reach 60. Feel it in the gas pedal and shifter and slightly in the steering wheel. Then get a bad steering wheel shake at 80. It was smooth as silk with the crap goodyears and OEM chrome wheels. Gonna take the car into them this week to have them look at it. Feels like tire out of balance to me. Don't think it's the rotors. I put the wheel setups on the car myself and torqued to specs. Could it be a bad alignment that causes that? Here she is with the new wheel setup.

Old 03-06-2021, 07:57 PM
h8snow
Burning Brakes

Received 314 Likes on 195 Posts

Get a alignment use PFADT 0 toe and the only way to balance to to use roadforce equipment period. Don't listen to the BS that's its not necessary per GM service manual.
The following users liked this post:
ronniebfla (03-23-2021)
Old 03-06-2021, 08:30 PM
gdmoore01
Burning Brakes

Received 554 Likes on 384 Posts

You already have it figured out because the problem wasn't experienced with your old set of tires/wheels. So now you have either bad tires or bad wheels. Sometimes these are very difficult to determine which & would be easy if you could find another C6 that would be willing to swap fronts and/or rears with you. Tire shop will blame the wheels & likewise the wheel retailer. You definitely need to get a good alignment, but pretty sure that is not your problem.

Let us know what you find and hopefully it will be a simple fix.

GD
The following users liked this post:
ronniebfla (03-23-2021)
Old 03-07-2021, 08:01 AM
FatsWaller
Safety Car

IIRC, the factory used a washer to hold the rotor on to the hub. OEM wheels have recesses on their backsides to clear the washer. Aftermarket wheels don't necessarily have the recess and if the washer is still there, the wheel can't sit flush against the rotor, and will cause vibration. I'd check to see if the washers are there. They are not needed, so remove them if they are still there.
The following 2 users liked this post by FatsWaller:
gdmoore01 (03-07-2021), ronniebfla (03-23-2021)
Old 03-07-2021, 12:10 PM
bikemiser
Racer

Received 63 Likes on 49 Posts

Road force does not actually balance anything, it tells you if tire and wheel can be properly balanced.
Old 03-07-2021, 02:37 PM
Schazaam
Advanced

Originally Posted by FatsWaller
IIRC, the factory used a washer to hold the rotor on to the hub. OEM wheels have recesses on their backsides to clear the washer. Aftermarket wheels don't necessarily have the recess and if the washer is still there, the wheel can't sit flush against the rotor, and will cause vibration. I'd check to see if the washers are there. They are not needed, so remove them if they are still there.
Yup, my dumbass left them on. Each rotor had two of them. Took them off, reinstalled the wheels and went on a spirited nut run. Great up to 65, but still a little something going on at 80 plus. Still gonna get the alignment done and have that shop check the balance on the front tires. Didn't see any balance weights on them. Guess thats ok? Thanks for the tips guys!
Old 03-07-2021, 04:03 PM
FatsWaller
Safety Car

No weights? That would be unusual, to say the least.
Old 03-07-2021, 04:52 PM
Schazaam
Advanced

No weights? That would be unusual, to say the least.
Thats what I thought. None of them do. And the PSI's were all different. 40, 36 rears, and 34, 30 fronts. I gotta let the manager of that joint know that.....
Old 03-07-2021, 04:59 PM
ValenciaOrange
Pro

Received 192 Likes on 110 Posts

I don’t know much about your problem, but the other day I was driving and I guess I never noticed it, when the steering wheel was In the center position the car went right. I had the car aligned, and the alignment was way off. Made sure they had the steering wheel centered. The car now seems to drive better.
Old 03-07-2021, 05:42 PM
FatsWaller
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Schazaam
Thats what I thought. None of them do. And the PSI's were all different. 40, 36 rears, and 34, 30 fronts. I gotta let the manager of that joint know that.....
OK, the chances that even 1 wheel would be balanced without any weights added is pretty slim, and for all 4 I'd say 0 chance. So there are no weights taped to the barrels? If so, sounds like they didn't balance them at all. If those are the cold tire pressure measurements, the tire installer sounds incompetent. I had that happen once and got a high pressure warning from the TPMS at 38 psi (I think). What kind of rep does this tire shop have? Is there somewhere else you can take your car?
Old 03-07-2021, 08:03 PM
Schazaam
Advanced

OK, the chances that even 1 wheel would be balanced without any weights added is pretty slim, and for all 4 I'd say 0 chance. So there are no weights taped to the barrels? If so, sounds like they didn't balance them at all. If those are the cold tire pressure measurements, the tire installer sounds incompetent. I had that happen once and got a high pressure warning from the TPMS at 38 psi (I think). What kind of rep does this tire shop have? Is there somewhere else you can take your car?
Shoot, there are weights on the right side, not the left though. I checked them cold this morning before my verification nut run after I took the rotor lick washers off. Never had a problem with this place. They did my C7 GS wheel and tire work(all new swap) for me, same with my Raptor. They were really busy the week I had them do it. I haven't even paid the bill yet. The day I picked my second set(left side) was really busy in there and the service guy said he couldn't find the service order. And the sup I was working with left for the day. OK I said, I'll be back Monday. He was the guy that told me we'd square up when the last set was done. So me thinks the left sides were never balanced. Crazy shiat I say!

Last edited by Schazaam; 03-07-2021 at 08:03 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Weird Steering

Old 03-07-2021, 08:18 PM
vivasantana
Burning Brakes

Received 187 Likes on 115 Posts

One bill I would not pay!
Bust their *** for it.
Old 03-08-2021, 11:56 AM
Schazaam
Advanced

All good now. The left sides were never balanced. They weren't supposed to give them to me. I walked in to see if they were done because they never call me to tell me ***** done anyways. Drives great now, and no charge. Gonna take it to another place for the alignment as he gave me a good recommendation on where too.
Old 03-23-2021, 01:19 PM
ronniebfla
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Schazaam
Hey Guys. Got a 2009 Z51 a few weeks back. It has 57k miles on it. A1 condition. Love it so far. But on some roads it likes to steer me vice me steering it. Nothing violent, but I wonder if folks behind me think I'm drunk. It has a set of Goodyear Eagle F1's on the front that need replacing. Putting on Michelin A/S 3 runflats to match the rears. Gonna have them check the alignment too. I'm assuming this is not a normal characteristic of a C6? This is my first C6 after having two C7's. The C7's had a few issues to deal with, but not this.
———I have the same issue. I bought the car with the original run flats Goodyear F1 . I replaced them with summer tires that were the Indy 500 which held the road and kept the car always on a rail. I bought new rims and it came with new original Goodyear’s again runflats f1. I drive on roads and it’s like someone disconnected my stabilizers and driving on uneven pavement with the steering wheel feeling like a flat. I have no clue but it’s so annoying and dangerous. I do love the run flats and feel safer driving on them. I thought maybe my calipers were rubbing or something. I had it aligned balanced but same ****.
I am close to upgrading my sway bars and suspension if that helps or maybe someone has a simple fix. Sorry for the long reply.

Quick Reply: Weird Steering