C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Air compressor for a/c

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2020, 03:02 PM
wstafford
Advanced

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Air compressor for a/c

The other day i posted a question about my rattle under the hood. It's turned out to be either the compressor or the clutch on the compressor. Does any of yall have any experience taking the compressor off and putting another one in? I've got a cousin that would help me with it but he's suffering with back pains so bad that he can barely do his own work, otherwise he would help me out. What all is involved with pulling the compressor? And how to go about it. I've done all my own work for years but I"m 65 and my past has caught up with me and i can't do a whole lot any more. But I reckon I'm going to have to do this myself. Any tips or advice before I start?
Thanks, Stafford
Old 08-30-2020, 03:28 PM
saplumr
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,251 Likes on 895 Posts

I don’t have experience removing a car compressor but you will have to have gauges, a refrigerant recovery unit and a vacuum pump along with knowledge of how to properly use them. Not a job for a novice.
Old 08-30-2020, 04:58 PM
Dano523
Race Director

Received 3,054 Likes on 2,196 Posts

Walk in the park and most times, do not need replacement parts since it a clutch problem.

Granted it tight down there and can remove the clutch assembly without having to move the compressor nor disconnect the lines, but basic walk through.
15mm box end wrench on the main belt tension to pull it off.
Next 15mm 12 point with the U end cut off, a piece of 1/2 conduct that will stick out about 2" past the cut off end when tight against the box end so you can get it into position on the inner belt tension small working area to cam it back and remove the inner belt.

The Compressor outer plate, will need to back it up with a 3 prong tool so can spin out the front bolt out, remove the outer plate, the then rest of the clutch parts off the compressor.

Now the low down, and it really boils down to two parts. On the back of the clutch front plate, clean the crap/rust off the back plate and pulley front surface to start with.
Note, if this is the problem alone, and not the pulley bearing going dry that you are hearing, then you can flood the front of the plate to pulley with spray silicone to clean the collect crap/rust out of it, without having to pull the clutch apart to start with. Hence would first sugest that you do this, and if you still have noise, then it time to pull the clutch parts off the compressor. Also, once you have the plate off, light up the compressor shaft with silicone or penetrating oil, since it allows the compressor bearing to slip off the shaft a lot easier.

On the pulley, you can get to the bearing dust seal on the back side, and this allows out pull the seal to clean the bearing and then re grease pack it.

From here, parts go back on, light coat of silicone spray on the front side of pulley surface and back side of front plate to keep them from rusting up so quickly, and don't forget to install the stand off washer that spaces the front plate off the pulley the correct distance.

If push comes to shove, and you just don't have enough room to work on the compressor bolted in place, you can unbolt it (three side bolts and a nut) to turn it slightly sideways, to give you more room, with the lines still connected.

Last edited by Dano523; 08-30-2020 at 05:09 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Dano523:
Icecap (08-30-2020), JayO (08-30-2020)
Old 08-30-2020, 08:42 PM
Ghost Vette
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Had mine replaced a couple of months back. The mechanic actually took mine off through the top although instructions said to remove the rack and pinion. He removed the water pump and worked it out like you would do on the C5. Not easy but worked. I got the parts through Rock Auto. Parts and labor was approx. $750 to $800.. Nothing I wanted to attempt..

Get notified of new replies

To Air compressor for a/c

Quick Reply: Air compressor for a/c